Basic 3 punches

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jagermeister said:
Also, I'm not quite sure what it means when the "elbow flairs" during a punch. Can you explain this in a little more detail?

When you punch if your elbow turns outward, that is what I mean by flarring. It will be easier to see coming and have substantially less force behind it. Instinctively, this is the way most people punch until it is trained out of them.

One way to fight it is to teach a vertical punch until impact, then turn it over with the follow throw. Twisting on impact also increases the chance of causing a cut, so it has a extra bonus ;)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was working the cross at class last night and my partner kept holding the focus mitt low, so I kept looking low. The instructor reminded me of it, and it was quite a difference when I started keeping my head up and aligned again. I had been leaning over without realizing it!

OP
A

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Head position is an amazing thing when it comes to strength. It can easily be seen in something like a squat but it is in everything, if you are looking down you have no power, anywhere to do anything.

"Sit into it", get down lower so that your eyes are at or just below the target, even when throwing to the body, it makes a big difference and helps avoid counter punches ;)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yeah, it was a really big difference...luckily I had someone there watching me. The boxing-style techniques are hard for me, and I do need correction!

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm surprised that it hasn't been mentioned yet that the Jab helps to set your range. What I mean by that is that the Jab is a visual cue letting you know that you are in range for the cross. My cross has about 6 inches further range on it than my jab, so if I'm right at my opponents face with the jab, I'm perfectly set for the cross.

Also, I've always taught (and been taught) that the power comes from the whole body - legs, hips, and shoulders. For example, it's the torque developed by turning the hips and shifting to your foreward foot that develops the power of a lead hook. It's the hips and shoulders that develop the power in the cross - along with bringing up the rear foot, of course.

One last note on hooks. The hand position of a hook varies with the target zone of the punch. The lead hook to the head is palm down, the rear hand hook to the body is done palm facing in. For a visual, place your hand flat on your belly. Make a fist and raise your arm over your head by lifting your shoulder. you will see your palm go from facing in (your belly) to facing down at head height, to facing out (away from you) above your head. This is a natural rotation and to be utilized when using a hook.

Latest Discussions