Barefoot practice of Chinese Martial Arts?

Ben S

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I've been practicing martial arts for 35 years, always barefoot - this is common to the Japanese and Korean martial arts styles I've trained in - Uechi Ryu, Hayashi Ha - Shito Ryu and Shim Gum Do ( a zen martial art).
I also practice yoga and live by the ocean - being barefoot is natural to me. MMA / UFC fighters also fight barefoot. I can't imagine training in shoes and after so many years, have adapted to practicing this way. For example - the bare foot will stick a bit to a varnished wooden floor, so I have learned over the years to lift my weight off a foot on which I am pivoting or turning, making it an integral part of how I move. I've recently become interested in baguazhang, which I always see performed in shoes. I'm a beginner to this art and am mainly doing circle walking with palm changes and of course, in bare feet. The sliding step in bagua takes a little more concentration in bare feet, but I am greatly enjoying the challenge! I am interested in your thoughts and experiences about practicing barefoot vs wearing shoes, especially in regard to the chinese martial arts.

mograph

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Our group (old-school Hong Kong guys living in Toronto) practices in street clothes, ostensibly because Sifu is not into formality, possibly because he was taught that way, or because we're not an official club, or because the floors where we practice are not swept, or because we might as well learn to fight in the stuff we wear every day.

You know, I'll ask next week.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I've practiced in shoes for about 20 years, coming from bare feet. I never had big issues adjusting... just like when I was a kid & ran around about 8 months of the year barefoot & only put them on grudgingly for cold weather. It's a thing. You get used to it. Sensitivity isn't lost, just changed & you gain a weapon with the shoe & a modicum of protection for the feet.

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've been practicing martial arts for 35 years, always barefoot - this is common to the Japanese and Korean martial arts styles I've trained in - Uechi Ryu, Hayashi Ha - Shito Ryu and Shim Gum Do ( a zen martial art).
I also practice yoga and live by the ocean - being barefoot is natural to me. MMA / UFC fighters also fight barefoot. I can't imagine training in shoes and after so many years, have adapted to practicing this way. For example - the bare foot will stick a bit to a varnished wooden floor, so I have learned over the years to lift my weight off a foot on which I am pivoting or turning, making it an integral part of how I move. I've recently become interested in baguazhang, which I always see performed in shoes. I'm a beginner to this art and am mainly doing circle walking with palm changes and of course, in bare feet. The sliding step in bagua takes a little more concentration in bare feet, but I am greatly enjoying the challenge! I am interested in your thoughts and experiences about practicing barefoot vs wearing shoes, especially in regard to the chinese martial arts.
It really doesn't matter if you are wearing shoes or not. As a beginner you most likely would be paying attention to your stepping, turning of the waist and spine, sinking and rooting, after doing it for a while it becomes very natural. When I first started circle walking I remember how odd the body position is and how unnatural circle walking felt but after doing it for 12 years it feels natural and I do not think of my feet

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I started in Jujutsu and TDK which was bear foot, but I have been wearing shoes training Chinese martial arts for over 20 years and all of that time has been in street clothes or sweats. I will admit when I started with my first shifu I expected to have to take my shoes off, but since he held the first class in the parking lot next to his school I was pretty happy we kept out shoes on. And when we moved inside, since he never had anyone remove thier shoes, I was pretty happy to keep them on there too.

And since I have trained in all sorts of weather on just about every terrain I have been rather happy wearing shoes. A year ago winter I was doing bagua circle walking in my garage and it was well below freezing out side so I am good with shoes, boots, sneakers, dress shoes, just about any foot wear. Use to train Police/military Sanda with my shifu at lunch during work and outside on concrete and even once during a thunderstorm.

Also, doing bagua circle walking, in sneakers, on a carpet, can take a lot of concentration too. My last Bagua Shifu school was carpeted.

I also do a little yoga, but that is in bare feet...just never in my garage in the winter :D.

Last edited:

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our group (old-school Hong Kong guys living in Toronto) practices in street clothes, ostensibly because Sifu is not into formality, possibly because he was taught that way, or because we're not an official club, or because the floors where we practice are not swept, or because we might as well learn to fight in the stuff we wear every day.

May I ask what club you attend?

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
We wear feiyue kung fu shoes. When we do pad work we go barefoot tho. We also have a uniform that we always wear (black kung fu pants with white kung fu top).

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You may grow to like it. Shoes give you a grip that feet do not give and allow you to do things that would other wise tear the skin of the feet. Some Chinese Martial arts make a habit of dragging the feet on certain techniques, on other techniques there is heavy pivoting on the balls of the feet. There are also scraping motions that are done with the feet on the ground. For me personally I prefer having shoes on because I'm able to have quicker movement when cutting angles. I also don't have rough or conditioned feet so while shoes aren't a must, it does offer some good protection for me. To me it's almost like playing basketball without shoes. I can do it, but don't expect me to do quick moves to fake out the guarding me.

The good news for you is that you may be able to wear shoes that help give you more of that barefoot feel. I personally like training in wrestling shoes, since it feels like a thick sock to me. I'm currently practicing in indoor soccer shoes and it's ok. Depending on what the footwork is like in Ba Gua Zhang, I wouldn't wear running shoes, as they are designed to move the foot heel -> toe and lack stability for any other type lateral movement.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Barefoot training is essential; because, it teaches you how to move like a human being, instead of a cyborg, with ankle and heel protection. It all starts, right here! o_O

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I practice bare footed, wrestling shoes, cross trainers, shoes, boots, and sandals.
On the matted floor either bare footed or wrestling shoes. On the wooden floor cross trainers and at times we will wear different footwear like dress shoes, boots, or sandals. Outside training area I usually wear cross trainers or sandals. (I wear sandals most of the year)

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
In the event you own a jet, you can fly around, and bomb people, but until then, you are limited to human motion, and it's limitations. Boots teach you to move wrongly. :)
Ok, I think I follow you... You practice fighting barefoot, and when you get in a street fight you hope you can fight in boots. So, it's like you practice flying a Cessna, and hope you can fly a F-22 Raptor when the **** hits the fan.:rolleyes:
I'm just messin with you ToD ;)

OP
B

Ben S

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You may grow to like it. Shoes give you a grip that feet do not give and allow you to do things that would other wise tear the skin of the feet. Some Chinese Martial arts make a habit of dragging the feet on certain techniques, on other techniques there is heavy pivoting on the balls of the feet. There are also scraping motions that are done with the feet on the ground. For me personally I prefer having shoes on because I'm able to have quicker movement when cutting angles. I also don't have rough or conditioned feet so while shoes aren't a must, it does offer some good protection for me. To me it's almost like playing basketball without shoes. I can do it, but don't expect me to do quick moves to fake out the guarding me.

The good news for you is that you may be able to wear shoes that help give you more of that barefoot feel. I personally like training in wrestling shoes, since it feels like a thick sock to me. I'm currently practicing in indoor soccer shoes and it's ok. Depending on what the footwork is like in Ba Gua Zhang, I wouldn't wear running shoes, as they are designed to move the foot heel -> toe and lack stability for any other type lateral movement.

Definitely some good points you make - I practice in my wife's yoga studio and it's a special floor - we don't wear shoes. But I've practiced Bagua in heavy socks which allow for sliding. I just love being barefoot - that sense of grip and being able to spread the foot. I practice on the beach in summer, but need footwear for outdoors - thanks for the reminder to try wrestling shoes.

OP
B

Ben S

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It really doesn't matter if you are wearing shoes or not. As a beginner you most likely would be paying attention to your stepping, turning of the waist and spine, sinking and rooting, after doing it for a while it becomes very natural. When I first started circle walking I remember how odd the body position is and how unnatural circle walking felt but after doing it for 12 years it feels natural and I do not think of my feet

I look forward to having 12 years experience in circle walking! But I always think of my feet and what they're doing.

OP
B

Ben S

Orange Belt
Reaction score

Sounds like you guys are real world martial artists - what style / art do you train?

OP
B

Ben S

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Do you fight bare foot? Train like you fight? Fight like you train?

Well, that's the question isn't it? My fighting was and still is always confined to 'temple fighting' and other civilized exchanges, and yes it was barefoot. Obviously, if I were attacked in a dark alley, I'd probably be wearing shoes and so I see the sense in training in footwear and street clothes. But am 63 now and haven't been in a real fight since I was 15 - I think for many martial artists fighting is sparring - civilized, respectful and controlled - MMA fighters are engaged in real fighting for sure, and are barefoot. A Navy Seal or streetfighter wouldn't be - there's always that line between what we doing being an ART that we practice and its efficiency when things turn deadly serious.

Latest Discussions