Banning conservatives: your colleges at work

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
one is trying to silence someone and one is mearly exposing the other

It's impossible that everybody they spoke with was for banning conservative speech....thus the producers of the video left out part of the truth to present an incomplete case that serves their political aims.

How is that different from wanting to leave out part of the political discourse in order to hear an incomplete case that serves political aims?

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you are trying to be sooooo fair minded that you are missing the point.

a mind, like a wound can be so open that it gets an infection

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not missing the point.

Disputing the point.

The video is yellow journalism. Doesn't make the students somehow not a bunch of hypocritical shitheels. But the producer's heels don't smell too sweet, either.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
But it's not true.

True would be a video that showed an accurately proportional representation of all responses to the petition.

This is only a portion of the truth...which is worse than no information at all.

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
So your position is that presentation of just part of the relevant facts is equally "true" as presenting all of the relevant facts?

I'ma hold you to that the next time you or Billi go off on unfair liberal reporting practices -- of which I agree there are plenty.

Archangel M

Senior Master
Reaction score
regardless of the video editing (do you think MSNBC does any different?)...how many people were asked? How many people signed?

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
You say they are my people. That supposes information you do not have. Therefore you are making a statement from an ignorant position. It isn't calling you names or being rude to point this out. It is saying you are ignorant about what you are talking about, which is truth. Don't want to be called ignorant, then stop making ignorant statements.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
my point was that a lack of contradictory data does NOT invalidate what is there.

it doesnt matter how many people said no, how many said Yes is much more important

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Incorrect.

If 5% of those surveyed said yes, it's not a problem. You can count on 5% of any population being wingnuts. If 100% of those surveyed said yes, it's a serious problem.

The video implies that the overwhelming majority of those surveyed said yes, which is unlikely...it would be like taking only Empty Hands' posts from Martialtalk and representing them as the voice of all Americans. (or just yours, or just mine).

Ramirez

Black Belt
Reaction score
That explains a lot elder.

Explains what? I don't recall any defence of free speech in any math, finance or humanity courses either, if such a thing can even be taught.

Perhaps in law school you would study the something like the First Amendment as it applies to legal work. Why would an engineer/physicist need to study the first amendment?

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Explains what? I don't recall any defence of free speech in any math, finance or humanity courses either, if such a thing can even be taught.

Perhaps in law school you would study the something like the First Amendment as it applies to legal work. Why would an engineer/physicist need to study the first amendment?

True, but personally I'd be appalled if any US-born college student hadn't learned the basics in high school.

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here's the problem that's been plaguing the Study lately. Right here. "Your people".

What do you mean "you people"?
tropic_movie_downeyjr1.jpg

WC_lun

Senior Master
Reaction score
Unfortunately there are tons of younger people who haven't an idea of our constitution. Sometimes Jay Leno does his little sidewalk interviews and asks question on the constitution and polititics. While obviously he picks the best ...or worst ones to show on the air, it is kinda shocking. Also, having worked with many young people in the past, it saddened me when the subject of conversation turned to politics or the constitution. Not because they had opinions, but in at least half the case, they really had no idea. When a newly graduated college student cannot tell you who the vice president is or what branch of government the presidency belongs too, it is a sad day.

Latest Discussions