Banned words for 2007

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just Miss Upper Peninsula for those on the left.

I agree with the banning of Celeb names used out of context or to represent and act or event.

Yea I agree. Celeb names out of context is just plain stupid.

I officially rename my right hand "Rich Palmsons." But that is only because my left hand is so huge compared to my right for some reason...

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I get the connections with `pisse(ed)' (that would be the second sense of (1) and also (2)). But the first sense of (1) seems a bit of a stretch—and I gather that that's the main sense, in Boston-slang American English! :wink1: I really, really wonder how it come to be.... it almost has the feel of UK slang.

Anyway, thanks very much for the explanation, Carol! :)

Well...the Boston accent is really a bastardized (bahstahdized) UK accent that has somehow stayed on all this time. ;)

I don't know but it's a pissah word and I just think it's pissah that I can still say pissah. :roflmao:

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Here is one that bugs me. Anything "Organic". You want to call it Organic chicken? What is the alternative, inorganic? Did I purchase a cyborg chicken? or a robot chicken? I know what they are trying to say, but call it "all natural" or something else!

JasonASmith

Black Belt
Reaction score
I emphatically second the "bling bling" crap...
Also, I would like to annihilate any woman who calls herself a "diva"...There is only ONE and that's Aretha Franklin!
Thirdly, I also emphatically second the words "izzle"...
And finally, anything that comes out of Paris ****ing Hilton's or Britney ****ing Spears' mouths...
I apologize to all of the Britney and Paris fans out there, but I've got to say this...:bird:

kosho

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I do not like the word CAN"T
yes you can you just need to try.
Kosho

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The "I lost ___ inches!" ads.

I'm sure if I measured every possible part of me I could loose a large number of inches be sitting in a sauna for half an hour... or a cold enough shower :s

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Apply directly to forehead"

Oh, I'll apply something to your forehead, all right. Grrrr

crushing

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just Miss Upper Peninsula for those on the left.

I agree with the banning of Celeb names used out of context or to represent and act or event.

Banning Celeb names out of context is Rachael Ray to me. :)

Rachael Ray means you are on the fence about something. I heard that one from Erik Kuselias on ESPN Radio yesterday. Is she cute or not? Is she thin or heavy? Will she last or is she a fad?

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
mrhnau, "Organic" might have been a poor choice of words. But it has a strict legal meaning that ensures that food with the USDA Certified Organic label meets some pretty exacting technical standards. It's a very useful and informative term.

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Banning Celeb names out of context is Rachael Ray to me. :)

Rachael Ray means you are on the fence about something. I heard that one from Erik Kuselias on ESPN Radio yesterday. Is she cute or not? Is she thin or heavy? Will she last or is she a fad?

There's a universally disliked singer in the UK called James Blunt... I shall leave it to your imagination what that means. Eg, "that bloke's a right James Blunt"! Marvellous. :)

wee_blondie

Blue Belt
Reaction score
CELEBRITY and DIET

Don't know about you guys but I'm sick to the back teeth of hearing about the latest "celebs" or this week's fad diet.

Grow up and get a life!!!!!!!!!!!

Phew... I feel so much better now!

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Hate crime". That one really ticks me off. If I murder someone, is it worse because I call them a bad name first? Its a crime! Treat it as a crime, not as a special class of crime. If you want to consider the verbal aspects, consider it in the case, but no need to treat or punish the crime differently.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
There's a universally disliked singer in the UK called James Blunt... I shall leave it to your imagination what that means. Eg, "that bloke's a right James Blunt"! Marvellous. :)

No worrys, we generally don't like him over here either. :)

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
in mice type "Results not typical"

Well, what exactly are the typical results? You mean, if I take this little pill, I won't lose 100 lbs in 3 months and immediately get six pack abs? How unfair!

grrr...

Also, mice type that moves so far you need a magnifying glass and pause to read the freakin' thing. I might actually want to know that this pill causes heart failure, brain hemorage and erectile disfunction. All at the same time!!