Banned words for 2007

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lake Superiour State University has published a List of banned words for 2007.

Kind of funny I thought... some of the banned words were ridiculous though! "NOW PLAYING IN THEATERS" or "We're Pregnant" I mean, come on...

If you could ban words or phrases, what would you ban?

I'd ban "He gave 110%". No he did not! You can't give beyond your capacity!

I'd also ban "For only x.99". I can't stand that! If its for $4.99, then just say $5! I also see crap for 1.99 plus shipping and handling which they tell you in small print is 12.99. I saw this item, and the claim was "similar items sell for hundreds of dollars, but this is only for 3 payments of 39.99 plus 14.99 S/H". Do they think we are so stupid that we don't realize that is hundreds of dollars?

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me the word I hate the most is I don't know that is the most stupidest phase in the world

ArmorOfGod

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd also ban "For only x.99". I can't stand that! If its for $4.99, then just say $5! I also see crap for 1.99 plus shipping and handling which they tell you in small print is 12.99. I saw this item, and the claim was "similar items sell for hundreds of dollars, but this is only for 3 payments of 39.99 plus 14.99 S/H". Do they think we are so stupid that we don't realize that is hundreds of dollars?

lol
I bet you get angry at the gas stations too. When they advertise gas for 1.99 (for example), it's actually 1.99 + 9/10's. If anyone here hasn't noticed it, look at the sign carefully and you will see the tiny fraction added to the end. It's on the signs of every gas station and bugs me to no end.

As for the word I would ban: "huh?" I hate it when my students say "huh?" I have broken them of that, by the way. All of my students have known me for a long time and never saw me get mad until they said "huh?" to me.

AoG

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Oh I have my own list - here are some highlights:

IRREGARDLESS - Although this has become socially acceptable up to a certain level, this is gramatically incorrect. The word is "regardless" and to put an extra "IR" on the front effectuates a meaning similar to the double negative.

IMA - short for "I'm going to." Come on ... are we all *really* that lazy?

and Georgia's special pet peeve:

The use of the word THEN as a substitute for THAN - Okay ... if you're confused, THEN answers the question "when?" whereas the word THAN answers the question "how much?" so if you're comparing two entities, you would use the word THAN; if you are giving a time reference you would use the word THEN.

So - if you want to appear more intelligent THAN most other people today, THEN you would find the appropriate use of the correct word.

pete

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you could ban words or phrases, what would you ban?

I'd ban "He gave 110%". No he did not! You can't give beyond your capacity!

i had to dig deep to find something i sent to my bosses a few years ago...

What makes 100%?
What does it mean to give MORE than 100%?
Ever wonder about those people who say they are giving more than 100%?
Or have been told that you have to give 110%?
How about 103%? What about 118%?

Here's a little mathematical formula that might help you answer
these questions:

If:
A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z is represented
as:
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25

Then:

H-A-R-D-W-O-R-K
8+1+18+4+23+15+18+11 = 98%

and

K-N-O-W-L-E-D-G-E
11+14+15+23+12+5+4+7+5 = 96%

But,

A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E
1+20+20+9+20+21+4+5 = 100%

By the way&#8230;.

B-U-L-L-*-*-*-*
2+21+12+12+19+8+9+20 = 103%

And,

A-S-S-K-I-S-S-I-N-G
1+19+19+11+9+19+19+9+14+7 = 118%

So, one can conclude with mathematical certainty that while hard
work and knowledge will get you close, and attitude will get you
there, it's the Bull**** and *** Kissing that some really want.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The use of the word THEN as a substitute for THAN - Okay ... if you're confused, THEN answers the question "when?" whereas the word THAN answers the question "how much?" so if you're comparing two entities, you would use the word THAN; if you are giving a time reference you would use the word THEN.

So - if you want to appear more intelligent THAN most other people today, THEN you would find the appropriate use of the correct word.

So then, I would use this word than that word huh?

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So then, I would use this word than that word huh?
Yes. Then, you would use the word than in its proper context.

1. I'd rather see folks use the word THAN when comparing things than use the word THEN.

2. Now, again, if you said that stand-up is more important than ground work, you would use the word "than," then.

3. But if you're going to go to class and then go to the store, you would use the word "then," then.

In 1 and 2, you can see there is a comparison of two entities in each one. In sentence 1, we are comparing using the word than to the use of the word then. In sentence 2 we are comparing stand-up to ground work. The appropriate word in those sentences is "than."

In sentence 3, you are saying when you are going to the store, hence we use the word "then."

A trick: If it answers "when" remove the W and replace it with T. ;)

Kembudo-Kai Kempoka

Senior Master
Reaction score

IRREGARDLESS - Although this has become socially acceptable up to a certain level, this is gramatically incorrect. The word is "regardless" and to put an extra "IR" on the front effectuates a meaning similar to the double negative.

How many negations for "antidisirregardlessly"...does it come out positive? Or just leave one feeling positively negative about the whole thang? (then).

bushidomartialarts

Senior Master
Reaction score
Me the word I hate the most is I don't knowthat is the most stupidest phase in the world

depends on the 'i don't know'.

if it's the 'i don't know' delivered with a half shrug that really means 'i'm not taking any responsibility', then yeah. we should maybe also shoot them.

if it's the 'gee. i don't know' delivered with honesty that means the speaker isn't going to try and ******** you....well, we need more of that, really.

for my money, i'm behind 110% getting excised, possibly with the use of nightsticks.

also any word ending with 'izzle' that doesn't appear that way in the dictionary.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Terry, are you serious? "I don't know" is the beginning of learning. It's where the ego leaves off and reality has a chance to make an impression. It's the whole point of education, research and human progress.

"I know all that" is the end of inquiry. "You can't tell me anything" completely prevents learning. "Shut up, I know what I'm doing" is the most common prelude to a complete cock-up or Darwin award.

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Terry, are you serious? "I don't know" is the beginning of learning. It's where the ego leaves off and reality has a chance to make an impression. It's the whole point of education, research and human progress.

"I know all that" is the end of inquiry. "You can't tell me anything" completely prevents learning. "Shut up, I know what I'm doing" is the most common prelude to a complete cock-up or Darwin award.

In terry's defense, I think it depends on context. I think if you ask someone a question they don't know the answer to, then "I don't know" is the logical response. However, if they know, and don't care to take the time to answer, or are simply complacent, the answer of "I don't know" is exceedingly annoying! Especially when you know that they know!

The Kidd

Purple Belt
Reaction score

IMA - short for "I'm going to." Come on ... are we all *really* that lazy?

and Georgia's special pet peeve:

If you are going to ban "Ima" then us good ole' Texas boys caint talk so good!

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"UNRATED EDITION" - Every DVD seems to have one of these now.

"Intellegent Design" - No, its religion, its creationism, doesn't matter what you dress it as.

"0 ____" where ____ is carbs or some type of fat or something. Yeah, great, my super fatty bacon is carb free, must be healthy.

"DRM" - Not just the word, the concept.

"Trusted computing" - I don't trust it all, and it doesn't trust me.

"War on ___" Drugs, terrorism, the bible, christmas, it's all rather silly. Guess I am old fashioned, but if they want a war I want to see a formal decloration of war. Veitnam was a police action, Marijuana? THAT is a REAL war.

"Strategic development" - Ok, "Strategic" anything.

"Consultant"

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey! I really am a consultant!

Would it be OK if I shot anyone who still says "wazzzzzup"?

That and "Bling Bling"! That drives me nuts!

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The following words out of a teenager/preteen mouth:

"Oh My God!"

"Whatever"

of course these all have to be followed by an exasperated sigh and usually are followed by, or in conjunction with rolling eyes and slumping of shoulders.

Funny how they also happen after being told to do a chore around the house. :)

OP
mrhnau

mrhnau

Senior Master
Reaction score
The following words out of a teenager/preteen mouth:

"Oh My God!"

"Whatever"

of course these all have to be followed by an exasperated sigh and usually are followed by, or in conjunction with rolling eyes and slumping of shoulders.

Funny how they also happen after being told to do a chore around the house. :)

"Talk to the hand!". Do they still say that? or am I dating myself? LOL

Latest Discussions