Baji tiger climb mountain

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a famous Baji "tiger climb mountain".

1. Downward parry, palm to the face (set up),
2. Punch to the chest,
3. Elbow to the chin,
4. Palm to the face.

I like the idea that a single punch can be 3 striking sequence (2, 3, 4) - punch, elbow, palm.

Any comment?

Baji-tiger-climb-mountain-1.gif

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The other hand is too far back. I can see it working to overwhelm someone, but I could also see it being countered by good footwork and a looping or hook punch in response.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is a famous Baji "tiger climb mountain".

1. Downward parry, palm to the face (set up),
2. Punch to the chest,
3. Elbow to the chin,
4. Palm to the face.

I like the idea that a single punch can be 3 striking sequence (2, 3, 4) - punch, elbow, palm.

Any comment?

Baji-tiger-climb-mountain-1.gif

To tell you the truth, I couldn't see that combination thrown the way it is shown, hitting anyone.

And I can get hit by just about anything...except that. :)

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
To tell you the truth, I couldn't see that combination thrown the way it is shown, hitting anyone.

And I can get hit by just about anything...except that. :)
I think it'll work on a beginner/intermediate fighter. Before people get a lot of experience, seeing a bunch of different things coming at them can overwhelm and make them not sure how to respond. If someone's got a good head on their shoulders though, I don't see it working.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the fellows in the video are probably not a particularly good example. I’ll bet there are some fellows who can really use that, but it looks entirely different from that video. And I’ll bet there are a whole lot of fellows who cannot use it.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Some people said it's just 2 punches followed by an elbow.

- Chest punch, face punch, elbow to the chest, or
- Face punch, chest punch, elbow to the chin.

Here are more clips for it.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1MW411N7bF/?spm_id_from=333.788.videocard.0

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1MW411N7bF/?p=2
In that second video, having the left hand block the eyes makes a big difference. The example in that video at ~ 10 seconds in shows me how it could work. It would require a really quick instep to make the difference from the punch to the elbow. And you're still risking the hook punch. But I could see what that guys doing working in the right circumstances.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Any comment?
I don't like it.

First move lead punch connects, fight over. This is the danger of not practicing at the correct distance. I'm not saying the technique is trash, but this point in the demo, it's been voided. Winner Guy on the right Loser guy on the left. Better move. just kick that guy in his gut because that punch was never going to reach.

Still going to get punched right in the nose. The punch is actually still closer
upload_2020-4-4_23-32-44.png

left punching hand still ready to fire. Who will win the race
upload_2020-4-4_23-37-13.png

Punch to the mid section left hand still ready to fire.
upload_2020-4-4_23-40-19.png

Upward elbow to the face - Good
upload_2020-4-4_23-42-54.png

Palm strike to the face - Good
upload_2020-4-4_23-44-50.png

I think the real problem is the distance at which the technique starts. Get that wrong in the beginning and other stuff will fall apart. These techniques to seem to be close range technique where it will be difficult to get maximum extension on a lead punch.

Attachments

• upload_2020-4-4_23-42-14.png
    upload_2020-4-4_23-42-14.png
    67.6 KB · Views: 132

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I think the fellows in the video are probably not a particularly good example. I’ll bet there are some fellows who can really use that, but it looks entirely different from that video. And I’ll bet there are a whole lot of fellows who cannot use it.
That's what I'm thinking too. Many people who haven't sparred using a technique will often stuff up the demo application for that technique.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Some people said it's just 2 punches followed by an elbow.

- Chest punch, face punch, elbow to the chest, or
- Face punch, chest punch, elbow to the chin.

Here are more clips for it.

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1MW411N7bF/?spm_id_from=333.788.videocard.0

https://www.bilibili.com/video/BV1MW411N7bF/?p=2
This video isn't the same technique as the first video. Striking techniques aren't the same and stances aren't the same. This is the video you should have started off with.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This video isn't the same technique as the first video. Striking techniques aren't the same and stances aren't the same. This is the video you should have started off with.
It will be fun to get people's opinion about how to make this combo work.

The concept is good. A punch is more than just a punch. A punch can be

- a punch, followed by
- an elbow strike, and followed by
- a palm strike.

Of course, the combo of elbow, palm, elbow, palm, ... can continue forever.

When your opponent blocks your punch, instead of pulling your punch back, you can step in, and change your punch into elbow strike. If your opponent blocks your elbow, you can change your elbow strike into palm strike.

In today's MMA world, the concept of "a punch is only a punch" bother me very much. During the stone age, this concept might be OK. During the 21th century, this concept is just too primitive.

Last edited:

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
In our style, we have a similar technique. But, because the elbow is a close in strike, we use an uppercut to the solar plexus then the vertical elbow and then a hammerfist strike (or tiger claw) to finish it. These strikes turn it into a more close quarters combo. Instead of the long range punch, short range elbow, long range palm strike.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
If your opponent blocks your elbow, you can change your elbow strike into palm strike.
This is found in Hung Ga and Jow Ga systems. If I follow my normal method of thinking, I probably wouldn't try to do the combo exactly as is (1,2,3) I would probably look at it as being able to do 2 then 3 or 3 then 2, or 1 then 3. I know sometimes people get into the mind set that 1 always comes first followed by 2, and then followed by 3. I used to think that way until I started to learn that the combos are made of separate techniques that can sometimes be done in any order.

A downward elbow strike into the face may not lead into a palm strike. It just depends where the opponent goes after being smashed in the face with the elbow.

Latest Discussions