Getting Private Lessons from new Sifu

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I hope everyone is doing well during these days meaning that you still have you and your family still have your pre-corona virus days health or better. I hope those checks are still coming in for many of you as well be it work check or Government support. Like always stay safe and don't take any unnecessary risks.

I'm not training under a new Jow Ga sifu and while it's video training I'm still learning from it. The thing that stands out the most with video training is that it's crucial to have more than just beginners in the training sessions and communications have to really opened in order for beginners to get the most out of it. It reminds me of when I used to teach classes. The best learning days were days when there was a lot of discussion between student and instructors. This is the same with the online training I'm getting. Students are posting videos but when the conversation is one sided, the learning becomes stagnate. It just becomes a session of the instructor telling what you are doing wrong all the time, which doesn't help with understanding.

It's probably good to have students who are actually interested in learning how to use the techniques so that there deeper discussions can occur. Students who just want to copy movement do just that and seek no further value. They don't ask questions like. "why am i punching this way?" or "what is actually going on when I do a certain technique." The traditional flow of respect that is usually in a in person classroom setting won't work. This may be hard for some advanced students and instructors because ego can get in the way.

Other than those things, I'm actually enjoying training and video taping my training. It's giving me a good idea of how I should offer self-defense training online. The other thing to consider is training space. Some people have yards and others do not, so I'm trying to figure out how to train within a small area even if it's the size of a hallway.

Latest Discussions