Bag training?

SacredCoconut

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I decided to try my bag again next week, as i don't have karate leason. Its pretty big, about human sized (got it somewhere, don't know that much more about it). I don't realy know how to train with one so, i thought about asking, if someone have tips.

I was thinking about just using it for training landing kicks with more power or just as some warm up/cardio. But if there is some good training i could do, i would be interested to know about them.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
OK, bag work for a warm up isn't a terrible idea, but kicks are. You need to properly warm up and stretch your muscles before you do full power kicks, especially to a bag, otherwise you're going to risk muscle damage. Do your normal warm/stretch, and work into bag work. If your hands, or whatever you're hitting with, start to hurt/turn pink, stop. I like to work specific combinations, or for a specific time.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
you can injure yourself working on a bag. It's not difficult to jam or even break a finger or knuckle, or wrist, or ankle or hip or knee...

are you getting any instruction? I suggest you don't just start working on a heavybag without some guidance from an instructor to make sure your technique is adequate and you understand how to approach the activity.

chinto

Senior Master
Reaction score
you can injure yourself working on a bag. It's not difficult to jam or even break a finger or knuckle, or wrist, or ankle or hip or knee...

are you getting any instruction? I suggest you don't just start working on a heavybag without some guidance from an instructor to make sure your technique is adequate and you understand how to approach the activity.

I agree

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use wraps/bag gloves, preferably those that include wrist support. Mark targets on the bag to work accuracy (I use a BOB, since it has actual anatomical landmarks to target). Start easy and advance slowly. Technique is key. With poor technique, you're likely to hurt yourself.

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
Bags are great for exercise or warmup, and you can warm up with kicks if you start off slow and build up.

You do pick it up on your own. Its not exactly rocket science. Though if you get more power from pounding a bag, itll be because you get better at the strike itself, and possibly waste a bit less movement. Or you might fix your angles up. All stuff that happens more on its own than anything else.

Heres a basic workout: Pick something, and do it until youre worn out. Workout complete!

Latest Discussions