training full speed bare knuckle?

S

sweeper

how many people train at full force ungloved?

I little wial ago I tried this with a freind, we weren't hitting to the head but I found some large flaws in my ability. First I sprained my wrist. I didn't realy notice untill the next day, second when I was landing punches I was landing them on my fingers rather than my knuckles.. I think both these problems come from gloves, I have trained full force with gloves and partial force without, never before full on with no gloves, the gloves give you support at the wrist and precise hitting isn't as important because the glove distributes the force so much.. this has lead to a sloppy punch on my part. I guess I need to start hitting a heavy bag without gloves on.

Just curious about other people's experiences. Also for those of you who do train bare knuckle with no restrictions on where you can hit, how often do you guys develop injuries?

redfang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I train with MMA gloves. They don't support the wrist, but pad the knuckles for striking. They still deliver a good strike even with the padding(It's more for the strikers protection I think.). Even with the gloves we generally strike half force to the head and about two thirds to the body. This is mixed up with grappling, which is at full speed. Even with these restrictions and no one trying to hurt anyone else, people get hurt more frequently than what we'd like. Generally the injuries are minor, but not too infrequently they hinder people's ability to train. Broken ribs, a nose, cuts etc. are typical. We are trying to reduce injuries even more, because not being able to train for weeks at a time is the opposite of what we are trying to do. I imagine that if we went bare knuckles, full strength, people would be getting hurt on a weekly basis. Use a heavy bag if you want to hit something solid full out to practice wrist alignment and such.

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
If you're worried that your heavy bag isn't heavy enough for this, or if you don't have a bag you can use, a makiwara board works just as well. Just don't start off punching at full strength until your sure your wrist alignment is good. (I almost learned that the hard way.)

OP
M

MartialArtist

I rarely use bag gloves. I might tape once in a while, but not very often. I do practice hitting a variety of surfaces from cement blocks, boards, a heavy bag, a lighter bag, sand bags, etc.

OP
Y

yilisifu

In Yilichuan, gloes are never used for any type of training. This helps develop very sharp control (when training with a partner) and precise technique when training with a heavy bag or other devices.

OP
J

J-kid

I did some full force sparring with some people before and i owned on him but it wasnt all that great fighting with out gloves.

I won with out being hit more then once or twice at most.
But i found my self hold back because i didnt want to do any serious damg to him.

Any how as far as training i use my centray bob human life like punching bag. I go without gloves on it and makes my knuckles stronger.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The kind of injuries described in the first post are exemplary of what happens when a person fails to train their weapons adequately...

You don't fight with gloves on, so training with gloves is unrealistic. "Oh," you might reply, "I don't want to injure my hands so that I can't do XXXX." Whatever. I have been punchign concrete walls for years, and have absolutely no problems whatsoever... There is such a thing as training smart, and gradual development tends to prevent injuries. Go too fast, too hard, and you get hurt.

Pushups on your fists, preferably on the two striking knuckles only. That'll build up the muscles in the arm along the punching line. Bag work without gloves, lightly at first and then progressively harder, will build up your ability to actually use the punch (or any other strike for that matter). It is one thing to punch a focus glove, or a speed bag, or a makiwara. But they all respond to force differently, so while you may be able to whack away at the makiwara all day long, you might find that the rotation of the heavy bag turns your wrist when you punch... Gonna have to train with all of them to prepare yourself for the possibilities of fighting an opponent that isn't made of a plank of wood... :D

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We never train with gloves on except for the week befor we go to a tournament.
As far as full contact goes we try to be careful with each other and oursleves most of the time. It's takes away from some of the fun of practicing if you keep breaking bone (yours and the other guys). also fighting with a cast on slows you down a little but it sure hurts like hell when you get hit with it.
If you do knuckle and finger tip pushups anlong with other hand conditioning and learn to punch correctly you should be able to train at least at moderate power.

OP
J

Jill666

I didn't use gloves for the longest time, and now I will sometimes tape or wrap my wrists & knuckles for a long heavy bag workout- but usually I won't. Usually I mix the heavy with medium bag, jumping, speed bag, heavy etc. for a bit of cardio. So I don't bother with gloves, tape or wraps.

Having used makiwara board and heavy bag for about five years unprotected made me conscious of alignment, and now I have no problem with my wrists.

I have used gloves with a partner sparring in class. Outside of class we play bare-knuckle, which I like better. :D But I might be a little strange ;)

OP
A

andurilking2

i too train with no gloves and no restrictions on where one can be struck,
i personally find this method far more effective than training with gloves (it provides a more precise more realistic training experience)
as for injuries i find that the only injuries are bruises, broken noses, and ive chipped a few bones but nothing too serious if you train with someone who knows what theyr'e doing.

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by sweeper
how many people train at full force ungloved?

I little wial ago I tried this with a freind, we weren't hitting to the head but I found some large flaws in my ability. First I sprained my wrist. I didn't realy notice untill the next day, second when I was landing punches I was landing them on my fingers rather than my knuckles.. I think both these problems come from gloves, I have trained full force with gloves and partial force without, never before full on with no gloves, the gloves give you support at the wrist and precise hitting isn't as important because the glove distributes the force so much.. this has lead to a sloppy punch on my part. I guess I need to start hitting a heavy bag without gloves on.

Just curious about other people's experiences. Also for those of you who do train bare knuckle with no restrictions on where you can hit, how often do you guys develop injuries?

Have you been using the right kind of gloves? Bag gloves are not the same as sparring gloves.

I train bare knuckles on a gravel bag (pit rock). The only problems I normally encounter would be minor cuts and ocassionally the whole skin on a knuckle would come loose (ready to be cut away, leaving a bloody mess that would take 7-10 days to heal)

Proper alignment minimizes structural injury. I have never experienced that kind of injury.

OP
S

sweeper

no mostly I use sparring gloves. I do practice knuckle pushups (actualy I always have practiced them that way.. for some reason my soccer couch made us do them that way) and I have practiced some bare knuckle, just not on a person all out or on a heavybag all out. The reason that I was screwing up was because of the movement of their body like yiliquan1 said. It was kinda suprising to me :)

OP
C

chufeng

Bare knuckles....full force...

I do this every time I train...with one caveat...I pull the force out of the technique as it hits (otherwise I would have no one to tyrain with except inmates who want to be my boyfriend).

I've trained in Western Boxing and agree that bag-gloves are different (much different) than boing gloves, or karate marshmallow gloves, or Kempo broken knuckle gloves. Hitting a heavy bag as hard as possible with poor technique will put you out of commision for about six weeks...train smart...don't do an "all out" attack on a heavy bag until you've developped your weapons...same is true of a live opponent who will change distance on you and present you with other problems to solve.

chufeng

OP
M

MartialArtist

no mostly I use sparring gloves. I do practice knuckle pushups (actualy I always have practiced them that way.. for some reason my soccer couch made us do them that way) and I have practiced some bare knuckle, just not on a person all out or on a heavybag all out. The reason that I was screwing up was because of the movement of their body like yiliquan1 said. It was kinda suprising to me :)
How about knuckle marine push-ups? It's very basic and won't hurt that much.

OP
J

Jill666

\ It was kinda suprising to me :)

Hey, better to find out on the bag now than on the street later. :asian:

OP
S

sweeper

I was better in a week, actualy the funny thing was it didn't affect my ability to strike.. I twisted it on impact but as long as my hand was aligned properly after that I could still strike, I could also do palm strikes fine. It was weapons use that was hindered because I didn't have a full range of motion in my wrist and I didn't have the strength to do a full force hatchet grip thrust.

I'm not familiar with marine push ups.

what the heck is a "karate marshmallow glove" I know what the kempo ones are, I kinda like those, but I think I'm unfamiliar with the karate gloves.. Are those the thiner foam pads that go up your forearm? And why are they called "mashmellow"?

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Originally posted by andurilking2
i too train with no gloves and no restrictions on where one can be struck, i personally find this method far more effective than training with gloves (it provides a more precise more realistic training experience) as for injuries i find that the only injuries are bruises, broken noses, and ive chipped a few bones but nothing too serious if you train with someone who knows what theyr'e doing.

So you have no restrictions on target locations? So do you get hit in the eyes, throat and groin often? You say broken noses are common... How many times have you had your nose broken? Doesn't it seem somehow counter-productive to train, sustain such injuries (whose recuperation therefrom would certainly impact training efficiency), and continue to train with the possibility to be injured in the same way again?

And if your partner knows what he/she is doing, why are you still getting injured so severely? It sounds much more like carelessness on the part of the person causing the injuries...

Where are you from? Where do you train? Your profile is rather skimpy on details...

Gambarimasu.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
what the heck is a "karate marshmallow glove" I know what the kempo ones are, I kinda like those, but I think I'm unfamiliar with the karate gloves.. Are those the thiner foam pads that go up your forearm? And why are they called "mashmellow"?

A marshmallow is the nickname for the vinyl dipped foam monstrosities required in nearly every tournament these days... Marshmallow because they are big, fluffy, and pad both striker and strikee far too much.

When I was in my first few tournaments, we wore thin pads on the hands that barely covered the knuckles. Those, a cup and mouth piece completed the ensemble.

Gambarimasu.

moromoro

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
brisbane australia, zamboanga philippines, sorsogo
training full speed bare knuckle,
without head hits

your wasting time. unless your training for a kyokushin tournament. the reason is your getting un wanted punishment to your body while your not at all worried by your head. train with the right padding and go full force, grappling too.

First I sprained my wrist. I didn't realy notice untill the next day, second when I was landing punches I was landing them on my fingers rather than my knuckles.. I think both these problems come from gloves, I have trained full force with gloves and partial force without, never before full on with no gloves, the gloves give you support at the wrist and precise hitting isn't as important because the glove distributes the force so much.. this has lead to a sloppy punch on my part. I guess I need to start hitting a heavy bag without gloves on.

yes it does seem like you dont know how to hit properly.

keep hitting that heavy bag with no gloves, for power and speed.

terry

OP
T

ThuNder_FoOt

Originally posted by chufeng
Bare knuckles....full force...

I do this every time I train...with one caveat...I pull the force out of the technique as it hits (otherwise I would have no one to tyrain with except inmates who want to be my boyfriend)....

chufeng

Is it possible to perform this? To actually strike with full power, full content... and pull the strike contact?!?! I have sparred without protection, pulling punches and kicks... and I find it very difficult to use anything more than medium contact without the intent of hurting my opponent. But then again, maybe I'm not skilled enough to know such control.

Latest Discussions