Bag gloves for beginners

callMeHawkEye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hello

So I am looking for a good heavy bag glove to get. I have this strong urge to really go at a heavy bag especially after long day at work. I want some glove to protect my hands but also be durable, last me for years, and be 'comfortably snug'
My hand is about 8.5" around the knuckles. I don't really plan on doing a ton of extensive boxing per se and sparring. But I do maybe want to learn the basics. And in future (<3 years) seek to learn more wing chun.
What are your recommendations?

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Any size glove is fine they all do the job especially if your not actually doing proper training sessions with them

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hello

So I am looking for a good heavy bag glove to get. I have this strong urge to really go at a heavy bag especially after long day at work. I want some glove to protect my hands but also be durable, last me for years, and be 'comfortably snug'
My hand is about 8.5" around the knuckles. I don't really plan on doing a ton of extensive boxing per se and sparring. But I do maybe want to learn the basics. And in future (<3 years) seek to learn more wing chun.
What are your recommendations?
I wish I could offer some advice on this one, but I hit the heavy bag without gloves. They make some light gloves specifically for hitting the heavy bag.
images

My thing with bag gloves is to make sure that glove doesn't have too much padding, because it encourages to hit the bag harder than what your fist and wrist are actually conditioned to do. They also change the placement of how the knuckles land on the surface of the bag. The more padding the gloves have the more you'll benefit from wrapping your wrist. Without gloves you'll only be able to hit so hard without hurting yourself and you won't be able to hit across the bag because it will scrape the skin off your knuckles. Without gloves your punches will need to be straight into the bag and straight out of the bag.

OP
C

callMeHawkEye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
yes that is true JowGaWolf. Good form is indeed important. But at same time, sometimes you just really want to wail on a bag you know?
I bought a freestanding century heavy bag. And been using my training/weight lifting gloves while hitting it but my skin just kind of starting to get scraped.
I will probably want to do a mixture of light bag work with small gloves & wraps. And also more extensive bag work w/ heavier gloves. But i am not sure which gloves
are good and not. From my research so far, i can easily deduce that those 20-30 dollar everlast gloves at Walmart are...not that great to say the least

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
yes that is true JowGaWolf. Good form is indeed important. But at same time, sometimes you just really want to wail on a bag you know?
I bought a freestanding century heavy bag. And been using my training/weight lifting gloves while hitting it but my skin just kind of starting to get scraped.
I will probably want to do a mixture of light bag work with small gloves & wraps. And also more extensive bag work w/ heavier gloves. But i am not sure which gloves
are good and not. From my research so far, i can easily deduce that those 20-30 dollar everlast gloves at Walmart are...not that great to say the least
They're perfectly fine I never used expensive ones ever because I think paying nearly 100 for a pair of gloves is a total waste of money and they always lasted me a very long time. The ones I use now I've had for about 6 years

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
that's called " conditioning" as other have said you nether need or particularly want " boxing" gloves for hitting a bag, if you have really girly delicate hands then any sort of leather or nylon work glove will stop the chaffing, if they are so delicate you need to spend 30 never mind 100, dollars to stop them scaping, you really do need to condition them

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Use wraps?

I use my 16oz sparring gloves for the bag. That way I only have to buy 1 pair of gloves.

In theory you wreck sparring gloves on the bag but mine have held up.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
that's called " conditioning" as other have said you nether need or particularly want " boxing" gloves for hitting a bag, if you have really girly delicate hands then any sort of leather or nylon work glove will stop the chaffing, if they are so delicate you need to spend 30 never mind 100, dollars to stop them scaping, you really do need to condition them

Or you just don't punch very hard.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Guys. To those talking about conditioning his hands and technique etc. the guys literally said he doesn't care about that he's not looking to learn he just wants to hit the bag to work out

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Guys. To those talking about conditioning his hands and technique etc. the guys literally said he doesn't care about that he's not looking to learn he just wants to hit the bag to work out
he said he wants to " learn the basics"So that would seem to include techneque and conditioning?

i can't see any where he says he is bot interested in learning, is that in this thread?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Do you have a Wavemaster or BOB?

I used to hit a Wavemaster XXL at my local YMCA. I hit the thing pretty hard 3-4 times a week for about a year. I wore Century Brave MMA gloves and never had a problem with my hands.

I bought a BOB XL about 6 months after I stopped going to the YMCA. I used my old gloves. After a few weeks, my knuckles swelled up and my hands got really sore and stiff. I bought a new pair, but they just worse.

I bought a pair of Title World Gel Bag gloves, and it went away within a week or so and stayed away. Best $100 I’ve spent in quite some time. I’ve got a total of about what 3 months of 3-4 times a week would be on them (I haven’t been too consistent), and they feel perfect. I’d be surprised if I didn’t get a good couple years out of them.

If you’ve got a Wavemaster, you can probably get away with anything that fits your hand right. It’s soft enough that the only real need for gloves is to not scrape your skin.

If you’ve got a BOB, it’s a lot firmer than it seems. The pecs and head are squishy, but the sternum, ribs and stomach are pretty firm. I’d recommend something with a good amount of padding.

Just my experience. Maybe I’m getting old, I don’t know. I’m 41.

Something I’ve heard many times about gloves is very true: cheap ones end up costing you far more in the long run. A good pair of $75-$100 gloves will typically outlast 4-5 pairs of $30 gloves and be easier on your hands.

My advice - if you’ve got a Wavemaster, try out the Century MMA gloves. They sell them at places like Dick’s Sporting Goods, so you can try them on and I was told you can return them within 30 days if you’re not happy. If you’ve got a BOB, you’d probably want to look into a better pair of actual gloves.

And look at bag gloves, not sparring gloves.

OP
C

callMeHawkEye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok so I do not want to damage and break my hands firstly. I do want to learn and train in like some kickboxing and particularly wing chun. The main focus of these gloves i want to get is for heavy bag work and for relieving some pent up explosive energy. The last thing I want is to stupidly damage my hands and not be able to work or anything cause of punching a heavy bag.
I have a century filled with about 200lbs of sand. It is fairly softish with the foam but my knuckles and stuff were starting to hurt from hitting it maybe couple dozen times or so.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
C

callMeHawkEye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Do you have a Wavemaster or BOB?

I used to hit a Wavemaster XXL at my local YMCA. I hit the thing pretty hard 3-4 times a week for about a year. I wore Century Brave MMA gloves and never had a problem with my hands.

I bought a BOB XL about 6 months after I stopped going to the YMCA. I used my old gloves. After a few weeks, my knuckles swelled up and my hands got really sore and stiff. I bought a new pair, but they just worse.

I bought a pair of Title World Gel Bag gloves, and it went away within a week or so and stayed away. Best $100 I’ve spent in quite some time. I’ve got a total of about what 3 months of 3-4 times a week would be on them (I haven’t been too consistent), and they feel perfect. I’d be surprised if I didn’t get a good couple years out of them.

If you’ve got a Wavemaster, you can probably get away with anything that fits your hand right. It’s soft enough that the only real need for gloves is to not scrape your skin.

If you’ve got a BOB, it’s a lot firmer than it seems. The pecs and head are squishy, but the sternum, ribs and stomach are pretty firm. I’d recommend something with a good amount of padding.

Just my experience. Maybe I’m getting old, I don’t know. I’m 41.

Something I’ve heard many times about gloves is very true: cheap ones end up costing you far more in the long run. A good pair of $75-$100 gloves will typically outlast 4-5 pairs of $30 gloves and be easier on your hands.

My advice - if you’ve got a Wavemaster, try out the Century MMA gloves. They sell them at places like Dick’s Sporting Goods, so you can try them on and I was told you can return them within 30 days if you’re not happy. If you’ve got a BOB, you’d probably want to look into a better pair of actual gloves.

And look at bag gloves, not sparring gloves.
I will probably do that and try out a pair of mma gloves. If that doesn't work then I will get a nicer pair gloves.

Has anyone here tried fairtex before?

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ok so I do not want to damage and break my hands firstly. I do want to learn and train in like some kickboxing and particularly wing chun. The main focus of these gloves i want to get is for heavy bag work and for relieving some pent up explosive energy. The last thing I want is to stupidly damage my hands and not be able to work or anything cause of punching a heavy bag.
I have a century filled with about 200lbs of sand. It is fairly softish with the foam but my knuckles and stuff were starting to hurt from hitting it maybe couple dozen times or so.

That’s not a freestanding bag; that’s a hanging heavy bag. A freestanding bag has a base and stands on the floor.

Get actual boxing gloves, not MMA gloves IMO. If it’s filled with 200 lbs of sand, your hands are going to be hurting. Especially if you’re planning to hit hard and haven’t hit a bag consistently before. And you should definitely build up to hitting hard. Don’t go all out on the bag until you’ve got the basics of how a punch is supposed land down, and even then build up to it afterwards. Wrist sprains and carpal tunnel syndrome aren’t fun. Punching bags aren’t idiot-proof by any means. Even experienced people hurt themselves occasionally.

I’ve never wrapped my hands under gloves, but it’s probably something you should do as well.

I have no personal experience with Fairtex, but everything I’ve heard about them tells me they’re top notch. They’re a legendary Muay Thai brand.

OP
C

callMeHawkEye

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
That’s not a freestanding bag; that’s a hanging heavy bag. A freestanding bag has a base and stands on the floor.

Get actual boxing gloves, not MMA gloves IMO. If it’s filled with 200 lbs of sand, your hands are going to be hurting. Especially if you’re planning to hit hard and haven’t hit a bag consistently before. And you should definitely build up to hitting hard. Don’t go all out on the bag until you’ve got the basics of how a punch is supposed land down, and even then build up to it afterwards. Wrist sprains and carpal tunnel syndrome aren’t fun. Punching bags aren’t idiot-proof by any means. Even experienced people hurt themselves occasionally.

I’ve never wrapped my hands under gloves, but it’s probably something you should do as well.

I have no personal experience with Fairtex, but everything I’ve heard about them tells me they’re top notch. They’re a legendary Muay Thai brand.
Hi jr. So my century freestanding bag has a base that I filled with about 200lbs sand. (Filling that thing is a lot of work lol)
Can you recommend any gloves in particular?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi jr. So my century freestanding bag has a base that I filled with about 200lbs sand. (Filling that thing is a lot of work lol)

Doesn't really matter. Just make sure they're bag gloves. Bag gloves have extra wrap around the wrist and a bar across the palm to reinforce the fist.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Never mind my last post. It was late. I thought the bad itself was 200 lbs, not the base.

Try out a pair of MMA gloves. I’ve used these with a Wavemaster XXL and didn’t have any issues...

Brave Grip Bar Gloves

And

Brave Open Palm Gloves

I used them because they fit my hands right. Everyone’s hands are different. I didn’t have any hand issues using them with a Wavemaster, but that’s no guarantee you won’t nor you will. Gloves are a trial and error thing.

And shop around as prices vary. If you’ve got a local sporting goods store, stop in and try some on so you’re not playing the back and forth returning stuff that doesn’t fit game. There’s a big difference in fit between brands and even within the same brand between different models.

Latest Discussions