Hand wraps vs. Gloves

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Allow me to clarify a few points.

1. Whether you practice on a makiwara or a rough canvas bag of rocks, it is entirely possible that you can do so without breaking skin. However if you practice chain punching of 100-200 at a pop at full speed and full force then, oh well. :) (I had entire scabs came right off etc :) . But that' just a reflection of individual recklessness.) I also want to point out that the makiwara sold at the stores these days are made of rubber pads and hence will not cut your knuckles.

2. To have a hand where you have callus that looks like hoof on your knuckles, such as that on Pang Ching Fu's knuckles (of Iron & Silk fame), you have to really torture yourself for a long time to reach that stage. the guy punches a steel plate 1000 times a day. None of you should even bother to be concerned about that. This is pretty much like people worrying about getting too muscular if they life weight. Because, in reality that is not even remotely likely to happen as easy they imagine.

3. Every time I heard people claim they have to hit with their palm heels because they are concerned they might hurt themselves with a closed fist, I wander how much they are overestimating their striking power. I don't mean this to be directed at anyone in particular. I just got tired of hearing this.

Zujitsuka

Blue Belt
Reaction score
KennethKu, what you're saying DOES make a lot of since but I somewhat disagree. It is just a matter of preference.

In regards to your statement on people who use palm strikes overestimating their striking power, my angle is about slamming one's fist into someone else's armor plated turret (i.e. their skull). Also, teeth can do a lot of harm to one's fist as well.

I think the Systema and Baguazhang guys make a lot of since about advocating open hand strikes over a clenched fist for combat for these very reasons.

Respectfully,

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Open handed strikes do seem to be more powerful, but I can't say that it is a truism...

Failing to properly condition any striking surface will result in that "weapon" being relatively useless in real application. Use, as an example, in movies where the hero punches the baddie on the chin and recoils in pain - same idea. If you are unaccustomed to striking something more solid than air, when you finally do hit something with some resistance you will likely do nearly as much damage, if not more, to yourself than to your opponent.

The whole purpose of striking conditioning is to allow you to be able to strike the human body without fear of injuring your striking weapon. It is not about who can break the most boards or bricks - they aren't what you will be hitting anyway. But if you are able to punch through wood or concrete, then flesh and bone won't cause much fear in you at all... :D

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

OP
A

Astra

Punching a concrete wall isn't as bad actually. If you have started out a bit easier, then from experience I can say that hitting the wall at full strength will not even cause much pain, your hand will simply turn blue for a while (not even for an hour) and that will be that.
Someone pissed me off once and instead of hitting him I decided to take it out on the wall :p

OP
M

MartialArtist

I use tape for pure bag hitting. For boxing matches, tape and gloves.

For full-contact sparring, I don't wear anything because the tape is for punching only and hinders other movements.