Bad news for the weapon arts in Buffalo

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
Now that's jes plain sad. A guy dedicates his life to an art that promotes self-betterment, and ends up killing somebody while on drugs. Some people just don't take the art seriously. I admittedly have to say that i've seen one of my peers spinning wheel kick one of my friends while she was heavily drunk and stoned. Really tends to make me lose respect for them as a martial artist.

I just hope this doesn't promote anti-MA sentiment if the conservative hellhole I live in catches wind of it.

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Reminds me of a story I saw in a Florida paper a few days ago. Some sword collector brought some people over to his place for a private party. He and one of the guests got into a heated argument, resulting in the swords collector pulling one of his fencing swords from the wall and challenging the guest. The guest, I think in his late teens, pulled a katana from the collector's collection and proceeded to slash and stab the collector, who I think ended up in the hospital in serious condition. I think the police described the sword as a long razor with a handle, or somesuch.

Too bad there isn't a stupidity amendment.

Cthulhu

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the key point here is "while high on crack"

of course, they will ignore that part....

OP
I

Icepick

BTW, anyone ever train with this wingnut?

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Icepick
BTW, anyone ever train with this wingnut?

I was going to ask: The paper refers to him as a martial arts enthusiast. Is it clear that he had any actual training as opposed to being a knife/sword enthusiast and/or a person who mimicked martial arts moves he had seen in movies?

deadhand31

Brown Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
The 7th layer of Hell. Wisconsin, to the rest of y
The media is run by IDIOTS. You cannot trust their writing style. Once, I read a column where they said "x number of people died at the hands of guns." Those reporters need to get their heads checked, because guns don't have hands!!! Not to mention when columbine was reported, Klebold and Harris were called goth. Right....... goth in green and yellow plaid........ sure.

:soapbox:

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Just because the person has the tools of a martial artist does not make him. Someone in Buffalo should write a letter to the editor, setting the facts straight about the martial arts before some politician is influenced to outlaw all the weapons you so dearly love.

OP
V

vincefuess

None of the details matter here. It's just another black eye for the martial arts. It's happened before and will happen again. Some people just suck, and they always will. Just like Dorito's- lock up all you want, we'll make more!

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Buffalonians, any new news on this event? Has there been any accurate account of this person's martial arts training (if any)?

OP
R

Rob_Broad

The best that can be hoped for is that it is proven that he is not affiliated with any school. But getting the media to print it will be quite tough.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Nothing that I've heard of, however I don't read the local rag, or get much time to watch tv.

Any other "snowmen" here? :)

D.Cobb

2nd Black Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Not only does this sort of thing reflect badly on martial arts, to the uneducated masses, but it influences, adversely, the thinking of the conservative political parties. We had a guy stand in the middle of one of our major intersections with a replica claymore sword. He waved it at people and when the police approached he got quite violent. That was a little over a year and a half ago. About 6 or 7 months ago the state government, brought in a law that says the only "tool" I can use for martial arts training, without paying A$2000 for a license, is a cylindrical wooden stick with flat ends. It probably wouldn't be too bad, as I could use my schools weapons for training, but this ridiculous law even extends to a display set of katana I have in my lounge room. The key word here is display. These swords are so blunt, it would be like hitting someone with a very skinny baseball bat. The best part is, the fact that in my garage is a tool that I use in my yard when the bamboo starts to take over. It is a 2.5 foot long, razor sharp machete. I don't need a license, as it is not a weapon, but I reckon I could do more damage with it if I was so inclined.
Anyhoo that's my crying done.

--Dave:soapbox:

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I seem to remember that on one of those reality-based TV shows, they showed some guy wearing camoflauge pants, a leather jacket, and sunglasses keeping police at bay with a katana. They tried hitting him with those little bean bag loads, to no effect. Eventually, they subdued him with firehoses and a long ladder.

What got me was that there was some fella there claiming to know the sword-weilding-maniac and he said the guy knew how to use the sword. I found this odd, because every shot I remember from the footage, the guy is either just walking around with the sword or in a deep horse stance, brandishing the blade towards police.

I've never seen any school of Japanese swordsmanship that teaches to fence from a deep horse stance. Looked damn silly to me.

Another whacko making things difficult for the rest of us, with his buddy feeding BS to the media. Grand.

Cthulhu

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by Cthulhu
I seem to remember that on one of those reality-based TV shows, they showed some guy wearing camoflauge pants, a leather jacket, and sunglasses keeping police at bay with a katana. They tried hitting him with those little bean bag loads, to no effect. Eventually, they subdued him with firehoses and a long ladder.

I saw this also. I have studied iaido and I also didn't recognize any actual techniques--the person would drop into a horse stance and pose, mostly.