Sacred White Buffalo killed and skinned.....

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seen here :

According to a Fox News report, the extremely rare and sacred white buffalo born last year has been found dead and skinned along with its mother.
Lightning Medicine Cloud, born May 12, 2011 on a stormy night at the Lakota Ranch in Greenville Texas, was a natural white buffalo—an extremely rare occurrence, happening an estimated once per ten million births. In June, a naming ceremony attracted over 2,000 visitors to the ranch, and a report on the proceedings cited beliefs held by some Lakota that the calf was the third white buffalo ever, and the first male in 150 years. Such a white buffalo is tied to the story of White Buffalo Calf Woman, and is the most sacred animal, perhaps the most sacred thing on the planet, to the Lakota people.

There's just not much hope for any of us, I'm afraid......

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
:wah:

My ancestors weep with yours.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is too awful for words on many levels.

I hope that hide will bring this Mensch nothing but ill!

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Das Mensch, vs Der Mensch.

A rural thing from back home to denote the relative worthlessness of a person.
Can't call this thing animal, that would be an insult to any and all critters that populate the world.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Das Mensch, vs Der Mensch.

A rural thing from back home to denote the relative worthlessness of a person.
Can't call this thing animal, that would be an insult to any and all critters that populate the world.

Oh dear, in Yiddish it's the opposite meaning. http://judaism.about.com/od/glossary/g/whatisamensch.htm

"Mensch (מענטש) a Yiddish word that means "a person of integrity." A mensch is someone who is responsible, has a sense of right and wrong and is the sort of person other people look up to. In English the word has come to mean "a good guy." Menschlichkeit (מענטשלעכקייט) is a related Yiddish word used to describe the collective qualities that make someone a mensch.
The opposite of a mensch is an unmensch, which means an evil or cruel person."

OP
elder999

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Reaction score

And this a-hole is gonsa unmensch.

Might as well have raped the blessed Virgin, or slaughtered the second coming of Christ......

......as ill omens go, this is probably about as bad as it gets, being an act of will and all......

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Taking it's hide would be akin to taking a Van Gogh, what the hell would you even do with it once you had it?? What a waste.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
To do that to a young animal and it's mother is cruel enough, to do it to a young animal that meant so much to so many is not only sacrilege, it's a sin. I hope, mixing religions maybe, that karma catches up with those who did this. To kill something like this I can't help thinking there will be payback along the line.

There was a white stag down in Exmoor not long ago, it was nothing more than a white stag, not very rare, didn't mean anything, beautiful all the same but someone shot it just because they could, no other reason.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not to divert this thread but just a quick insert that the White Stag (and other white animals) has a greater mythological meaning than might be presumed from what Tez said above (they can pass between the 'worlds' of men and the spirits). It's just that a thousand years of Christianity has more or less washed the knowledge away.

To some of us, even now, killing a White Stag is a shameful thing not only because of the wastefulness of the act to destroy something beautiful just because you can. But of course, for a culture who has kept their religious traditions more or less alive, to have a sacred animal so needlessly slaughtered is even worse.

Is the act actually illegal does anyone know? If it is, then perhaps there is a chance to find out who did this and punish them (tho' likely not as much as they deserve).

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not to divert this thread but just a quick insert that the White Stag (and other white animals) has a greater mythological meaning than might be presumed from what Tez said above (they can pass between the 'worlds' of men and the spirits). It's just that a thousand years of Christianity has more or less washed the knowledge away.

To some of us, even now, killing a White Stag is a shameful thing not only because of the wastefulness of the act to destroy something beautiful just because you can. But of course, for a culture who has kept their religious traditions more or less alive, to have a sacred animal so needlessly slaughtered is even worse.

Is the act actually illegal does anyone know? If it is, then perhaps there is a chance to find out who did this and punish them (tho' likely not as much as they deserve).

I was tryng to play down any percieved significance with the white stag so as not to make it seem I was comparing it to the obviously greater significence of the White Buffalo. It's not particularly significant to modern people in the way the White Buffalo is, didn't want to seem crass. :eek:

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not to worry, duck, perfectly understandable and laudable motivation there. I know that by having a penchant for the pagan mores of my forbears, these days I am very much in the minority :nods:.

Last edited:

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

If it was actually owned by someone which it looks like it was then yes its illegal. if it was wild and you had proper hunting permits and if your allowed to hunt that type of animal then it would not be illegal to kill an animal just because of a birth defect. It looks like Buffalo hunting is legal in Texas so it would come down to ownership of the animal.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Oh dear, in Yiddish it's the opposite meaning. http://judaism.about.com/od/glossary/g/whatisamensch.htm

"Mensch (מענטש) a Yiddish word that means "a person of integrity." A mensch is someone who is responsible, has a sense of right and wrong and is the sort of person other people look up to. In English the word has come to mean "a good guy." Menschlichkeit (מענטשלעכקייט) is a related Yiddish word used to describe the collective qualities that make someone a mensch.

Ah, sorry.

But yeah, in Hochdeutsch you would be right. It's a dialect thing, and so much worse than Unmensch.

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Words fail.

One can hope that the a-hole who did that meets with a similar fate.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
And this a-hole is gonsa unmensch.

Might as well have raped the blessed Virgin, or slaughtered the second coming of Christ......

Well they're trying. Stuff I've been seeing on line is at or near blasphemous (to me anyway) and they call it humor.

Since when has (my) race ever respected the deep core belief's of another's? Look at what the settler's did to the native population when they came across the Atlantic? Less than 200 years too. Call it progress, it's the rape of the natural world and the people who lived and honored it.

Ahhh what does it matter? Sacred and spiritual stuff is just nonsense. Science and technological progress is what counts and if any living creature gets in the way... kill it and mount it on the wall or a museum for study.

Or even better... leave thousands of stripped carcasses where they fell to rot in the sun.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Having a bad time, mate? I know times have been tough lately but don't let despair ride you like that (hard as it is to resist sometimes).

Anyhoo, 'Spiritual stuff' is nonsense, Caver :chuckles:. The credence people give it is not, however :nods:.

Even a once agnostic-now-atheist like me will, most of the time, not go out of my way to offend religious people (unless their views are just too outrageous to be borne in silence). Sadly not everyone feels that way and those with strong religious views are often the worst offenders if belief systems start butting heads. That raises a thought about the villains who slaughtered the creature venerated by the Indians - could it be more than just mindless thuggery? :shakes head: Nah, that road leads to baseless conspiracies and I can't see that anyone would know enough about the mythos to know what doing such a thing meant and still go ahead and do it.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well they're trying. Stuff I've been seeing on line is at or near blasphemous (to me anyway) and they call it humor.

Since when has (my) race ever respected the deep core belief's of another's? Look at what the settler's did to the native population when they came across the Atlantic? Less than 200 years too. Call it progress, it's the rape of the natural world and the people who lived and honored it.

Ahhh what does it matter? Sacred and spiritual stuff is just nonsense. Science and technological progress is what counts and if any living creature gets in the way... kill it and mount it on the wall or a museum for study.

Or even better... leave thousands of stripped carcasses where they fell to rot in the sun.

The millions of slaughtered buffalo......I am sure the people allowing it to happen had a vague idea that it would have a profound impact on the plains tribes.

However, killing the white buffalo that was privately owned and revered as holy...
As elder put it, like raping the Virgin Mary.
Even if you don't regard the animal as spiritually important, there is still the vile act of killing somebody elses animal on their own property.
Not one, but twice....

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The millions of slaughtered buffalo......I am sure the people allowing it to happen had a vague idea that it would have a profound impact on the plains tribes.

However, killing the white buffalo that was privately owned and revered as holy...
As elder put it, like raping the Virgin Mary.
Even if you don't regard the animal as spiritually important, there is still the vile act of killing somebody elses animal on their own property.
Not one, but twice....

And an extremely rare being at that.

I would hope that staunch, unquestioning obedience to an ideology doesn't warrant a dismissal of all logical thought and reason...regardless of what one has been taught, eh? ;)

Latest Discussions