Back support for MA training

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
serious back issues
My suggestion is stretching, stretching, and still stretching.

Have you ever tried to stretch this way? In stead of using this stretching machine, you can stretch the same way by using your hands to grab on something. This way you can pull your upper body. That will stretch your lower back. Of course, you will need to swing your leg

- inward,
- outward,
- upward,
- backward,

after that.

This stretching method work for me very well. I don't have much low back problem after I started to do that.

floor_stretching.gif

OP
AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
My suggestion is stretching, stretching, and still stretching.

Have you ever tried to stretch this way? In stead of using this stretching machine, you can stretch the same way by using your hands to grab on something. This way you can pull your upper body. That will stretch your lower back. Of course, you will need to swing your leg

- inward,
- outward,
- upward,
- backward,

after that.

This stretching method work for me very well. I don't have much low back problem after I started to do that.

floor_stretching.gif
Yes, I take yoga and stretch. Due to the skeletal issues, my ability for BIG stretches is limited, but I do my best. That said, if I tried to stretch like the girl in the photo, I'd break in half. :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Oh, no worries. It's a good point - a lot of us are so eager to prove ourselves and "tough it out" we actually end up causing more damage and putting ourselves out of commission. So, definitely something to keep in mind.
And you would certainly never tough something out and put yourself out of commission. Not you.

OP
AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
Love it. Makes me swoon.
Seriously speaking, @gpseymour has a point... I am a pathological overachiever in all things, and this is no exception. Having been told all my life how sickly I was and how I couldn't be a spaceship captain or even a warrior-empress of a moderately-sized world, I'd set out to prove the contrary. And that's why I need back support... among other things. :p

OP
AngryHobbit

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score
What a picturesque place to train. Ever thrown anyone over the balcony by accident? If yes, any vids?
You know, I was just thinking the same thing. We often look at houses in search of a potential forever home, and this frequently comes up "and look, it's got a bunch of balconies to throw unruly guests off of!"

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
You know, I was just thinking the same thing. We often look at houses in search of a potential forever home, and this frequently comes up "and look, it's got a bunch of balconies to throw unruly guests off of!"

The last time I ever worked in a garage as a mechanic there was this kid there who thought he was really cool and clever. However he was rather annoying and insulting. Our beak room in the shop was on the 2nd floor and after a rather long hot day of being annoyed by this kid we were all up in the break room, with the windows open, and up the stairs he came with his usually annoying banter..... I looked at him and said this

Me: Pick a window
Kid: Why?
Me: You're leaving

He turned and went back down the stairs and never came up there again if I was up there...he stayed away from my lift and kept his mouth shut too

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That post sounded so much like you, I actually thought it was until I looked at the avatar.

Latest Discussions