Back in the hunt.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
I am just venting here.

As of this morning, I am back in the hunt..................For a job.

I was fired for unsatisfactory job performance and insubordination. I am not sure how this could be, as I generate 95% of the income for my department and I bust my butt. I work as a personal trainer and theonly thing I can come up with is that I was insubordinate by not sharing my hard earned client base with the other 2 lazy trainers. I have called HR to find out the actual reason, but they have not called me back. I just feel this urge to yell and scream. I know you all have helped people in the past with encouragement and advice, but I don't come expecting that. I would however ask for your prayers and if you have any advice, throw it at me.

Thanks for letting me rant and yell. It is all very surreal right now, but hopefully I will find a way to make it work.

FierySquidFace

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hey man. Sorry for your troubles. I can relate to being pissed about losing your job unjustly.

This last July, I lost my job when my boss' smackfiend prison buddy sucker punced me in the back of the head, for refusing to give him $ out of the register. Suffice it to say that he didn't hit me again, but you can imagine the backlash from the boss...

I don't have near your credentials, so it took me a good 6 weeks to find another job, hitting the streets everyday, putting in 1000 apps, etc.

I guess the point is that in time things worked out, as I am now able to train MA 5 days a week! I know you're mad, but try not to lose heart bro. It sux right now, but things tend to work out the way they should alot of the time.

Good luck sir. Wish I could be more helpful...:asian:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Searcher, is there any chance you can start up working for yourself instead? I know times are hard and people cut back on things but you could target business people or your old clients? If they liked what you did they may well follow you. Working fo yourself is easier said than done but would be worth you looking into it. It could be worth too taking any old job to pay the bills if you knew you were working towards your own business. What i've seen over here is personal trainers take classes of people running etc thats spreads the cost for them. Also popular are the womens 'boot camp' type sessions, 'lose a dress size' sort of thing always good with brides to be and after the Christmas eating binge.
good luck with whatever you do though and rant away if you need to!

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tez makes several good points. One being working for yourself. Any chance of training any of your former clients privately?

If you feel you were wrongly terminated, contact an attorney. Any fees will be taken out of a settlement and if there is no settlement there is no charge, so you don't have to worry about $$. If they were downsizing and used the poor job performance/insubordination excuse to prevent you from collecting unemployment benefits, then you have a case. The reasons they gave for firing you would have to have prior supporting documentation in HR files.

I'm sorry you have to go through this. Keep your chin up, you have alot of experience and options. As frustrating and scary as losing a job is, this could be a blessing in disguise.

Please keep us posted and vent when you need to. :asian:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a point of clarification if it matters. An employer does not decide whether a displaced worker will receive unemployment benefits. It is only the state that decides.

An employer may challenge a claim, but if they do a worker can request a hearing, If the hearing is not decided in the worker's favor, there is typically an appeals process also.

Jade Tigress

RAWR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just a point of clarification if it matters. An employer does not decide whether a displaced worker will receive unemployment benefits. It is only the state that decides.

An employer may challenge a claim, but if they do a worker can request a hearing, If the hearing is not decided in the worker's favor, there is typically an appeals process also.

100% agreed.

However, the reason for termination can affect whether or not the state approves the benefits. So if you hate your job and WANT to get canned so you can sit at home for a few months and collect unemployment, you can't become insubordinate, steal something, start performing poorly, etc. and think you can get little paid sabbatical, it ain't gonna work.

I'm curous now, Searcher, are you filing for benefits?

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jade Tigress has exactly the right advice - see an attorney who specializes in this field of law.

Start looking tomorrow if you can. Only a lawyer who can investigate the specific facts in your case, evaluate the witnesses and evidence, and apply those to the laws of your state can really advise you here.

Make sure the lawyer knows you were fired on a phony pretext - that's important as it indicates the employer may be hiding the real (illicit) reason or that you may be wrongfully have been blamed for what somebody else did wrong.

Never mind HR and don't vent anymore here, either. Set a lawyer on 'em.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Seacher why not start your own personal bootcamp sounds like you could get some of your clients back and I am sure they would love for you to train them. Alot of them here uses the highschool track early in the AM and after school providing this type of service. My prays goes out to you.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Searcher -- let me start by saying that I wish you luck, and hope that you're not out of work long.

But... let me also suggest that you use this as a chance to evaluate something, too. A public response to this is not required! You say you did most of the work, yet got fired for unsatisfactory performance and for insubordination. Doing most of the work that's done doesn't mean it's satisfactory; if I hire 3 people to move 100 boxes, and 2 of them each move one box, and the third moves 10... it's still an unsatisfactory job, because I didn't need 12 boxes moved -- I needed 100 moved. And insubordination is often a code for an attitude problem... Did you get along with the bosses and the staff?

I recently hurt my back. I thought I told my supervisor clearly; he didn't hear what I thought I'd said. As we were beginning to do something, I was asked to do something I couldn't do because of my back -- and being in pain for several days, my temper was short and got the better of me. My supervisor rightly called me on the carpet over it -- because I was wrong. What did I walk out of this with? First, that maybe I shouldn't have gone to work that day. Second, that if I have an issue -- make it clear to the boss and make sure they understand.

ap Oweyn

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I think there's probably more to it than not sharing your clients with two lazy trainers. If the organization needs to cut costs and has two lazy trainers and one good one, makes more sense to fire the two lazy trainers and stop paying bennies for two people rather than fire the guy doing all the work and only using one set of benefits.

Had you ever been taken to task for something by your bosses before? Seems odd that this would come out of the absolute blue.

Have you got a resume? I've done resume consultancy for some years now. I could take a peek, if you want.

Stuart

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tough break! Re-evaluation is a good plan always, and moving forward with positivity is usually the best strategy. Good luck!

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Searcher -- let me start by saying that I wish you luck, and hope that you're not out of work long.

But... let me also suggest that you use this as a chance to evaluate something, too. A public response to this is not required! You say you did most of the work, yet got fired for unsatisfactory performance and for insubordination. Doing most of the work that's done doesn't mean it's satisfactory; if I hire 3 people to move 100 boxes, and 2 of them each move one box, and the third moves 10... it's still an unsatisfactory job, because I didn't need 12 boxes moved -- I needed 100 moved. And insubordination is often a code for an attitude problem... Did you get along with the bosses and the staff?

I recently hurt my back. I thought I told my supervisor clearly; he didn't hear what I thought I'd said. As we were beginning to do something, I was asked to do something I couldn't do because of my back -- and being in pain for several days, my temper was short and got the better of me. My supervisor rightly called me on the carpet over it -- because I was wrong. What did I walk out of this with? First, that maybe I shouldn't have gone to work that day. Second, that if I have an issue -- make it clear to the boss and make sure they understand.

Your case presents a good chance for a lesson for readers here - folks, when you get hurt it is very important that you fully and clearly advise your employer. Often this means a written accident notice or incident report. This needs to be done asap - your job and your Workers Compensation rights may depend on it, Also, if a hazardous condition caused the injury, the employer needs to know so other workers don't get hurt the same way. You'd be surprised how often workers don't let employers know of accidents and medical restrictions - often with disastrous results for both.

Let me note that I cannot and will not pass any professional judgment on your particular case here - but it does give an opportunity to educate readers of yet another problem area at work.

OP
searcher

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you all for the support. I have been working in the direction of working for myself(thank you Bob Hubbard) and almost all of my clients are wanting me to work somewhere close, so they can train with me, or to start my own gym.

I just needed to vent and I needed to yell, so I did at the computer.

Yes, there is more to the story. I helped them build the business and they felt hurt that I wanted to have my own gym. They hired other trainers to prepare for my departure and when I did not immediately leave, they were stuck with trainers who would not get out of the membership area. As they have called all of my clients and my karate students to ask them to stay and work with someone else, I got a little hot around the collar. The one that they want to teach my karate classes doesnto have ANY formal rank, but he has had 2 MMA fights. And we all know how that qualifys him to teach a style he knows nothing about or has ever trained in.

I will have another place to train my clients and teach here very soon. So it will work out. And it should be for the better.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, I too lost my job (company close down- Anderson News)and collecting unemployment since Feb, 2009..and found a part-time job..."JUNK"

Someone mention a book called " The Handbook to Higher Consicous..by Ken Keyes (amazon)...

This book change my life and we see things differently today ...this month will be the third time re-reading this book...

On my part-time Security job...I am refer to as the "nicest and friendly guard" today (Not before reading the book too..)..and I am lot happier than before....

Aloha,

PS: Sometimes we see things from our point of views....it would be nice to see what others think too...(to get to the true story)
...receving...unflavorable informations' is NOT easy too...

"Best of luck to you...book is worth reading also!"

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Your case presents a good chance for a lesson for readers here - folks, when you get hurt it is very important that you fully and clearly advise your employer. Often this means a written accident notice or incident report. This needs to be done asap - your job and your Workers Compensation rights may depend on it, Also, if a hazardous condition caused the injury, the employer needs to know so other workers don't get hurt the same way. You'd be surprised how often workers don't let employers know of accidents and medical restrictions - often with disastrous results for both.

Let me note that I cannot and will not pass any professional judgment on your particular case here - but it does give an opportunity to educate readers of yet another problem area at work.
You make very good points about reporting injuries on the job; the only reason they aren't relevant is that I didn't hurt my back at work. I did something stupid (and I still don't know what), then had a few things I couldn't miss or avoid, which added to the injury or at least delayed it's healing.

There's a reason every employer requires you to report on-the-job injuries -- and a reason why it's sometimes the better call to realize that you aren't fully capable of your job at times (mild illness or off duty injuries or even just plain outside stresses) and either take the time off, or work with your supervisors to be sure that they understand what's going on and what you can/cannot do so they can work around that.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thank you all for the support. I have been working in the direction of working for myself(thank you Bob Hubbard) and almost all of my clients are wanting me to work somewhere close, so they can train with me, or to start my own gym.

I just needed to vent and I needed to yell, so I did at the computer.

Yes, there is more to the story. I helped them build the business and they felt hurt that I wanted to have my own gym. They hired other trainers to prepare for my departure and when I did not immediately leave, they were stuck with trainers who would not get out of the membership area. As they have called all of my clients and my karate students to ask them to stay and work with someone else, I got a little hot around the collar. The one that they want to teach my karate classes doesnto have ANY formal rank, but he has had 2 MMA fights. And we all know how that qualifys him to teach a style he knows nothing about or has ever trained in.

I will have another place to train my clients and teach here very soon. So it will work out. And it should be for the better.

Wish you the best, but you should still get professional advice on putting your business together, signing a lease and most of all, potential civil legal actions over taking clients/defamation/etc.

grydth

Senior Master
Reaction score
You make very good points about reporting injuries on the job; the only reason they aren't relevant is that I didn't hurt my back at work. I did something stupid (and I still don't know what), then had a few things I couldn't miss or avoid, which added to the injury or at least delayed it's healing.

There's a reason every employer requires you to report on-the-job injuries -- and a reason why it's sometimes the better call to realize that you aren't fully capable of your job at times (mild illness or off duty injuries or even just plain outside stresses) and either take the time off, or work with your supervisors to be sure that they understand what's going on and what you can/cannot do so they can work around that.

Even where the original injury is off work, the employer should be told right away. The first reason is, of course, your health. I have had a number of disputes come to my level where the worker alleges they are being endangered because of doctor's restrictions being ignored - only to have the supervisor reply "What restrictions? You never gave me the medical!" There are no winners here.

In New York State, an aggravation at work of a prior nonwork injury may be the subject of a Workers Compensation claim..... but the decent employer who would have assigned you to a lighter job had they known will be furious with you.... they will be out a worker they need, possibly have their comp insurance premiums go way up.... and the insurance company will fight you for years.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Shortest way to know "Oneself" is to look at your best friends and how they behave...!

Most times you are just like them! Most us hand around people just like us and like to do the same things including the behavior...

If your friends are good , honest, hardworking, trustworthy, dependable, caring, humble.....? Most likely you are that type of person..!

If your friends are "bad" ...most likely you will be the same way...?

Defining one self...can be helpful...to improving oneself....still learning and gaining a little each day...here...!

Aloha, ....what is learning? Um? what is Oneself? (inside and outside?) PCH" 101

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the most important task to accomplish when on the job is to properly manage everyone's expectations. My boss took me to task a few weeks ago because I had contracted bronchitis and had fallen behind on some of my client issues.

The problem wasn't that I was sick. The trouble was that I should have let my clients know that I wasn't feeling well and told them that my manager or one of my counterparts would be taking over their cases for a few days.

Managing expectations doesn't have to be specific to illness or injury...it may have been that the management was seeing you say one thing and do another and they were growing tired of it.

Searcher, sending you good thoughts and prayers. It sounds like you've got some great ideas to go forward on your own, I hope that happens for you. :)

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Managing expectations doesn't have to be specific to illness or injury...it may have been that the management was seeing you say one thing and do another and they were growing tired of it.

I keep my manager and my director in the loop on what I do (I am the sys admin for our production network). If important things are happening, then I have no problem at all to call them directly and give them a 5 minute summary to keep them in the loop and to put them at ease. I make sure that our expectations are on the same line. If no important things are happening, I make sure that they know I am doing useful things.

Managers and directors hate to be unaware of things, because they will be asked questions, and if they have to say 'Uh...' it makes them look bad. Those 5 minute update enables them to look good, and eases their worries.

Communication is the most important thing. Just doing a good job or being better than your colleagues is not enough if your bosses don't know about it or don't know that you have good reasons not to do the things they thought you were doing.

@Jon:
Take care and good luck with the job hunt.

Latest Discussions