Auto-targeting of critical points

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else has this habit/problem, so I thought I'd share.

Whenever I visualise a confrontation scenario, or am actually facing an opponent, I find myself automatically mentally targeting only the vital "fight stopper" targets, e.g. throat, groin, various joints, etc.

My current primary art is sports kenjutsu, so it isn't much of a problem there, since targeting critical points is actually encouraged (except the groin, the targeting of which is strongly discouraged) since our sparring equipment ("boffers") is very safe - stabs to the throat are a mere irritation.

My concern is that since I will eventually take up an unarmed art, this habit of mine may be problematic when it comes to unarmed sparring. I suppose it may be beneficial in self defense, which is what I train for, but may not be desired when it comes to unarmed sparring practice, especially if/when it goes "freestyle".

Am I worrying for nothing, since I'm not in any unarmed art yet? Should I try to "reprogram" my tendency?

Thanks for reading.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hallelujah Brother. I've been teaching that philosophy for years.
icon14.gif

Should I try to "reprogram" my tendency?
Definitely not. In freestyle sparring you are not hitting hard anyway. Keep training to target those areas. Then, if you miss the target you still land the strike. If you hit the target ... bonus. Remember, if you aim for a target you will succeed most times. If you don't aim for a target you will 'succeed' every time. :asian:

sparky12

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I had a confrontation on a golf course of all places. The guy was screaming at me because his ball was in my fairway near my ball and I asked him to not mix the balls. He got right in my face and was screaming at me. I was so mad that the things I was visualizing were way out of line so I just took the verbal abuse. I just couldn't see busting a knee or elbo over a golf ball. I do think that in real life you have to not go too far, but it is a fine line because if you don't go far enough you may get hurt.

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You're fine, you're just living your art and that can be a good thing.

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Whenever I visualise a confrontation scenario, or am actually facing an opponent, I find myself automatically mentally targeting only the vital "fight stopper" targets, e.g. throat, groin, various joints, etc.

My current primary art is sports kenjutsu, so it isn't much of a problem there, since targeting critical points is actually encouraged (except the groin, the targeting of which is strongly discouraged) since our sparring equipment ("boffers") is very safe - stabs to the throat are a mere irritation.

My concern is that since I will eventually take up an unarmed art, this habit of mine may be problematic when it comes to unarmed sparring. I suppose it may be beneficial in self defense, which is what I train for, but may not be desired when it comes to unarmed sparring practice, especially if/when it goes "freestyle".

Am I worrying for nothing, since I'm not in any unarmed art yet? Should I try to "reprogram" my tendency?

Thanks for reading.

I think if a technique works in an armed art, logically it should work unarmed. I would certainly not criticise your approach if it works for you since we each fight with a unique style. And but for me I do not like the idea of pre-planned ready made defence patterns only because of the infrequency with which the real fight corresponds to the imagined one.

I think targeting of vital spots is a reasonable strategy since your opponent can simply not defend EVERY spot simultaneously only I would simply suggest not ever limiting your options to that one set as the potential exists for dangerous inefficiency in seeking a vital area when another "lesser" target has presented itself first. I hope that makes some sense. I would never reprogram anything and because I think it is a hugely inefficient training mindset, I would only only add to and supplement and build upon and adapt and round out your existing skillset.

Yes you are worrying for nothing! Do not be worried!! And please you do not try to un-know what you know, only modify and tune it up where you need to.

Yr most obdt hmble srvt,
Jenna

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks for reading.

Nothing wrong with doing this, but keep this in mind. Your environment and target availability will dictate what you can/can't do. As much as I wouldn't think twice about hitting the eyes, trying that against someone who is 6'7, probably isn't the best option.

BLACK LION

Black Belt
Reaction score

Thanks for reading.

Why "reprogram" yourself to target non-specific areas that cause non-specific trauma...

In any confrontation wether it be armed or unarmed the one who is targeting specific weaknesses in order to cause specific trauma will previal over one who is just pounding meat in hopes he will get lucky and win the lottery...
Also the benefit of specific targeting is the predictable reflex response associated...The spinal reflexes are the links in the chain of violence.
Targeting specific areas also interrupts the function of the brain and/or body giving you time to get your work done while they are BUSY nursing thier injuries...

prokarateshop

Orange Belt
Reaction score
unfortunately, i do the same thing. I have an idea of where and what I want to strike.. But definitely have plan b, c, and d...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Was is easy to remember? ...techniques or tarkets...?

Adrenlin kicks in....blood rushing...thoughts gets cloudy...CAN we react to our training (calmly) ....with proper focus?

..most of us can't when confront in our "fears of the moment"...

Tarkets is easier to remember....

Learn to breathe deeply...focus on the tarkets...techniques (hopefully) will follow....try to relax as much as possible...

Learn about the "killer instincts" ....study this futher...

Always keep things simple....sampler things are easy to remember...

Running away ...should be the first actions ....than self-defense...

the "EYES' ...Have my vote........my thoughts only..

Aloha .....i...i.. ai...

James Kovacich

Senior Master
Reaction score
No reprogramming needed but now that you have the vital area programmed. It wouldn't hurt to to start focusing on other areas such as a what if areas or scenarios, like what if I miss and he knocks me on my a$$.

OP
D

Decker

Green Belt
Reaction score
Whoa. Thanks for all the great and insightful advice so far. I guess I better stay away from martial sports then, heh.

More specifically, my concern is that, in the heat of the moment and when the situation becomes such that I think I gotta end it NOW, most likely 'cos I no longer have control of things, I unintentionally use a possibly unwarranted level of force.

It's happened before in light sparring, so thankfully I could stop myself (and the round) just as the target acquisition begins. I've the feeling it could a lack of confidence in my skills (which aren't much) that causes me to panic when overwhelmed, and seek to resolve the conflict immediately. Either way, I'll work on my focus more.

Thanks for reading.