ATA TKD World Champion Question

BLATEY

White Belt
Reaction score
Hello I'm here asking if any knows how one becomes a world champ. Is it based on points at the end of each year? Or do you have to win all of your matches in your rank and age.
Yes I do know that ATA is not recognized by most all the other forms of taekwondo.

Thank you.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
You will find most, if not all, organisations are not recognised by other forms of tkd, so its the same for most people. As far as becoming ATA world champion, I have no idea, although I thought ATA only existed in the USA so the term "world champion" would be slightly misleading.

Michael89

Orange Belt
Reaction score
You will find most, if not all, organisations are not recognised by other forms of tkd, so its the same for most people. As far as becoming ATA world champion, I have no idea, although I thought ATA only existed in the USA so the term "world champion" would be slightly misleading.

this is why I don't like ATA because they "mislead" people so much and I don't even consider them as true "TKD". I just glad I don't take one.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score

No, they have affiliate schools in South America and Asia as well. Certainly they're not as large as other groups world-wide but they exist in more than just North America. In fact, In certain clusters of the United States, they are dominant in their local market with far more ATA studios operating than any other instruction-sanctioning organization.

As for how you become a "World Champion", I thought you had to win at their world tournament to earn the title, making it a more legitimate title than the State Champion one where it is point-based. Of course I am not in the ATA myself, so my information here is not entirely solid - just going off what I gleaned over the years from taking my niece and nephew to ATA classes and tournaments.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Go to their world championship and win. Yes there are a few schools outside USA but they are not good either. Not world champion like wtf or ITF. Average person doesn't know or care though. Some of the worst black belts I've ever seen.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Go to their world championship and win. Yes there are a few schools outside USA but they are not good either. Not world champion like wtf or ITF. Average person doesn't know or care though. Some of the worst black belts I've ever seen.

Then again, I've seen bad wtf and ITF schools too. Come to think of it, there are bad martial art schools everywhere! Used to be that instructors took pride in their students. What happened?

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
this is why I don't like ATA because they "mislead" people so much and I don't even consider them as true "TKD". I just glad I don't take one.

Sigh. We don't mislead anyone. The title of World Champion is exactly that, because we have people competing in Songahm Taekwondo around the world. Usually, when I read things like this about ATA, they are posted by people who don't know anything about ATA but have no problems spouting off about the organization.

The title is earned by accumulating competition points throughout the year. Students may compete in Regional tournaments, District tournaments, National tournaments or at World's. At the end of the year, the points are accumulated and the 10 highest scoring competitors (The Top 10) then compete on the Friday of World's in the Tournament of Champions for the title. That is the final event of the tournament year; the competition on Saturday/Sunday of World's is the first event of the new tournament year.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score

Really? But in MLB, played only in the USA and Canada, the winner of the "world series" is not called the "world champion?"

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
Really? But in MLB, played only in the USA and Canada, the winner of the "world series" is not called the "world champion?"

How about the NHL beng comprised of teams from 2 nations?

Latest Discussions