Asking The Same Questions Over And Over Again

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Some people on this forum have claimed that I sometimes ask the same questions over and over again and have suggested that I simply look back in the thread for the answers. Well the reason why I might sometimes ask the same question is because Im not getting answers from the specific people I want answers from. Yes, there are some people who answer my questions but not necessarily the specific people on this forum who I want answers from.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Some people on this forum have claimed that I sometimes ask the same questions over and over again and have suggested that I simply look back in the thread for the answers. Well the reason why I might sometimes ask the same question is because Im not getting answers from the specific people I want answers from. Yes, there are some people who answer my questions but not necessarily the specific people on this forum who I want answers from.
Perhaps a PM directed to those particular people is in order then, rather than an open discussion. Nobody follows every discussion, they may not be aware that you are hoping they contribute to the thread.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

We have a system in place specifically for these situations. It's called a PM.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
It's a discussion forum. I think you should feel welcome to ask any questions you like as often as you like, provided you aren't breaking any rules. If folks don't want to respond, they don't have to.

Also, if you're trying to get a specific person's attention, you can use @ and their username to tag them. Like @ and photonguy (@PhotonGuy) will tag you.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
FWIW, I think three is great value in getting answers from multiple sources. Even if is just for comparison with the answers from your preferred people.
Everything needs to be pressure tested.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
Perhaps a PM directed to those particular people is in order then, rather than an open discussion. Nobody follows every discussion, they may not be aware that you are hoping they contribute to the thread.
Yes Im aware of that option, however when I ask a question on a thread, even if it is directed to a specific member or members, I want it to be a public question with a public answer, that's why I will ask it on a thread and not in a PM.

Also, PMs can be ignored. Threads can obviously be ignored too but at least if somebody is ignoring my question on a thread everybody will see that they're ignoring it, unlike if somebody is ignoring my question in a PM.

OP
P

PhotonGuy

Senior Master
Reaction score
FWIW, I think three is great value in getting answers from multiple sources. Even if is just for comparison with the answers from your preferred people.
Everything needs to be pressure tested.
Another reason I like to ask questions on threads instead of through PMs.

Latest Discussions