As a newbie - you ever feel like you were frustrating your instructors?

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have those nights were I am trying to learn some new or more complex moves, ones for the first time - and failing miserably for the Xth time he tried to show me, and I can see the assistant instructor getting frustrated - he went over to the head instructor a couple of times to say something like " how can i get him to learn this ? he is not getting it at all".

Tonight was one of those nights I was not focused - 10 hour day at work, tired, helping my kids with math after work, and showing up to class at the end of the day - and just floundering. I can only attend class 2-3 times a week.

It sucks being a beginner, but I hate letting my instructors down or making them frustrated when they try to teach me.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I have those nights were I am trying to learn some new or more complex moves, ones for the first time - and failing miserably for the Xth time he tried to show me, and I can see the assistant instructor getting frustrated - he went over to the head instructor a couple of times to say something like " how can i get him to learn this ? he is not getting it at all".

Tonight was one of those nights I was not focused - 10 hour day at work, tired, helping my kids with math after work, and showing up to class at the end of the day - and just floundering. I can only attend class 2-3 times a week.

It sucks being a beginner, but I hate letting my instructors down or making them frustrated when they try to teach me.
Mate, out 2 or 3 nights a week with a young family is a huge commitment. You are putting in heaps. What sort of things aren't you picking up? Are they things that physically you just can't do? If they are just complex techniques then don't stress, they take time to learn and even longer until you can use them without thinking. All you can give is your best. I would be delighted to have a student like you.
:asian:

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

That speaks more to his lack of experience as a teacher than yours as a student.

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm similar, my working day starts at 5AM, I go straight from work to training for 1.5 hours, home then kids, dinner, baths, reading, bed kids down, work then bed for me around 11-12. rinse repeat.

My tip aside from trying to get more sleep. I have some chicken about 40mins before training, or on the way. It peps me up a bit and gives me some energy.

But with instruction I sometimes let things slide and will pick it up the next class if I feel I'm being disruptive. By then it tends to click easier. But I learnt early on not to try and memorise everything the exact time I'm taught. I just relax about it more and let it come.

Only thing I get a little frustrated with is, instructor shows tech, partner wants to do it a different way ("I did it this way in so and so style"), mid belt steps in and shows a further different way.... sigh... but even that has it's way of sorting itself out eventually... go with the flow.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sure. And as an instructor now, I sometimes get frustrated when I have a hard time teaching a student a new technique. But you know what? Those students are the ones that are the most helpful to me in my own development as a teacher and martial artist.

If I explain something and the student doesn't "get it", then it means that I didn't explain the technique well. Not that the student did something wrong (unless they're not trying or not paying attention, but it doesn't sound like that's the case). It forces me to look at the technique more closely and work out how to explain it in more detail or in a different way that they'll understand better. It might mean I need help from someone more experienced, like the assistant instructor you mentioned. But all of that helps me to know the technique better and to be a better teacher.

So don't feel bad.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah. It happens martial arts is emotional as well as physics.

D

Dylan9d

If you don't get it as easy as others maybe your instructor or assistant instructor should put more effort into motivating you and help you through that process.

But you should also maybe start asking yourself some questions like is this the right school/art for me and are the trainingtimes suitable for your schedule. I do understand, i have a 5 year old and raising him by myself, they are energetic and can drain your energy also.

I hope all works out for you though.

OP
crazydiamond

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mate, out 2 or 3 nights a week with a young family is a huge commitment. You are putting in heaps. What sort of things aren't you picking up? Are they things that physically you just can't do? If they are just complex techniques then don't stress, they take time to learn and even longer until you can use them without thinking. All you can give is your best. I would be delighted to have a student like you.
:asian:

Thanks that means alot.

The art I am studying is Jeet Kune Do Concepts. Its the concepts - specifically the sinawali that I find most challenging. Swinging two rattan sticks - sword play, combination moves, counter moves (blocks) and feet moving, body turning, can be at bit much sometimes for me at 3 months. I know many systems add weapons later in your belt progression - but JKDC weapons are part of the many approaches used right away.

I work with several instructors, and one senior instructor I get along with admitted he is not much for the stick work, preferring the base Jun Fan (strike/kick box) work - which I do as well. I would have preferred 6 months of basic foot work, trapping, striking and kicking before attempting to fight with weapons.

I will admit, I recently got some of the basic stick moves ... heaven six, earth six, and was able to impress and instructor by moving from standing to kneeling without stopping... but the dance work while hitting sticks at multiple angles with a partner is just challenging.

No disrespect to the school or sifu's at all, they are good guys, I choose the right school, and art. Just that it sucks when I can tell a few assistant instructors may get frustrated working with me. I would say the most senior instructors (and this includes one ot the top guys in the country who visited) - seem to have endless patience and enjoy the challenge of teaching someone new.

I remember reading about how IP man got frustrated with Bruce Lee - young bruce was to tense and could not flow (common newbie issue)...Bruce was frustrated as well - when he later "got it" with his "be like water". I guess all martial artists face various moments where they struggle to understand and move and flow.

I am not giving up.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don`t worry about frustrating instructors, it is their job to explain as many times and in as many ways that are needed. I certainly had to be told/shown things over and over and still do.
Your attendance is good, just be patient with yourself.

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sadly, many times (and that's still putting it lightly) ... You just know when you get the look...

My advice, listen pay, pay attention well...

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sinawali is probable one of the most difficult 'easy' things to master. Give yourself time in repetitions to get it. Only go as fast as you can do it properly. Don't try to keep up with the other people just keep going slow. As you become accustom to the pattern your coordination will increase and you will be able to go faster, you can add in level changes and footwork. The number thing I see with most beginners is going too fast. I'd also advise to stop trying to impress the instructors, just do what you are able at the speed you are able to do the drills correctly. Speed means nothing if it isn't correct. Slow is smooth, smooth is fast. Overwhelm they with smoothness. Speed will come in time.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
To any of you guys who are raising a family, working AND studying Martial Arts - I salute you. Sincerely.
I hope folks who don't have that kind of schedule and responsibilities appreciate what they have, and appreciate who their dojo mate is. (no B.S)

As for an instructors frustration, a lot of times the frustration is with ourselves, not with the student. Please don't let it bother you, your job is to just show up, try, and hopefully enjoy the whole process. You'll get it, your instructor will get it, and the next guy who comes in with your situation will hopefully, get it, too. You might even help him.

You guys rock. Keep it up.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It happens. And sometimes an instructor simply recognizes that the way they are presenting material isn't working, and they go to another instructor for another approach to presenting that material. It's a great benefit when you have more than one instructor available because sometimes, what works for one person just doesn't get through to another. For example, my partner likes using compass directions for movements. As in "face North, then step to E blocking down..." Yeah, I get lost. I start trying to use the actual compass... It's easier for me to say "Face forward, step to your right, blocking down" or "Face forward, step to your 3:00, and block down." Different students work better with different presentations.

However, let me make one other suggestion. When you start class, put everything else aside for that hour or two. Use it as a break -- there are lots of reasons, but learning to block the world out while you focus on your training has a lot of pros. I like a symbolic tool to help; for me, that's my martial arts uniform, as well as bowing into class. Those are my cues to put the rest aside for a bit. I'm sure you can find something similar.

OP
crazydiamond

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We got a bunch of new students including an older guy (late 50's - so older than me) who has from a long time ago - a black belt in karate. He is struggling to understand JKDC, and he has hit my hand twice in sinawalli drills AND likes to lightly tap me with striking drills (punching at my face instead of to the side). as a newbie they have been all over my case to "take it easy" when sparing and dont hit anyone, particularly with sticks. I understand newbies can be the most dangerous in sparing. Keep telling him to take it easy and watch the position of his sticks. Now I am the one getting frustrated with a newbie :)

So it goes :)

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We got a bunch of new students including an older guy (late 50's - so older than me) who has from a long time ago - a black belt in karate. He is struggling to understand JKDC, and he has hit my hand twice in sinawalli drills AND likes to lightly tap me with striking drills (punching at my face instead of to the side). as a newbie they have been all over my case to "take it easy" when sparing and dont hit anyone, particularly with sticks. I understand newbies can be the most dangerous in sparing. Keep telling him to take it easy and watch the position of his sticks. Now I am the one getting frustrated with a newbie :)

So it goes :)

Are you using wood or foam covered sticks. In my class, have only got to that just the once so far. The rest is all striking in the main.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score

Way back when I first started teaching I got frustrated more than once with a student and I will say I did I not handle it well... but that is on me, not the student, and I feel real bad about the way I handled things back then. Now when I teach, and it is rare these days, as a teacher it is up to me to see the student is having trouble and it is up to me to figure out a way to help them get what I am trying to teach them.

You are doing a lot outside of class and you are making it to class 2 or 3 times a week and that is much more than anyone should expect based on your outside responsibilities, your doing fine, keep at it and you will get it.

OP
crazydiamond

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Are you using wood or foam covered sticks. In my class, have only got to that just the once so far. The rest is all striking in the main.

We all have our own wooden sticks. I have a nice bruise on finger where he connected. We have been give foam sticks only once - were the point was to show us to how to hit the hand. however in this instance we were doing heaven six and he should have hit my clavicle not my hand :) Black belt in Karate not helping this guy pick up JKDC and easier than I have - but I think it make him more aggressive of frustrated.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We all have our own wooden sticks. I have a nice bruise on finger where he connected. We have been give foam sticks only once - were the point was to show us to how to hit the hand. however in this instance we were doing heaven six and he should have hit my clavicle not my hand :) Black belt in Karate not helping this guy pick up JKDC and easier than I have - but I think it make him more aggressive of frustrated.

Sounds like the fella is just frustrated with himself more than you, or at least I hope so. Just out of curiosity here. Was the stick work there from the word go for you?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Black belt in Karate not helping this guy pick up JKDC and easier than I have - but I think it make him more aggressive of frustrated.

Being experienced in one martial art can give you the expectation that you'll have an easy time picking up another one. If that turns out not to be the case, that can be very frustrating for some people. If you're used to thinking of yourself as some serious talented martial artist, and you try something new and now you're a total beginner and don't know anything, it can be a little tough on the ego. So yeah, he probably is feeling very frustrated.

OP
crazydiamond

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity here. Was the stick work there from the word go for you?

Yes it was sticks and knife work from day one... this is Inosanto JKD. I would prefer a little less Kali weapons work at my school, but its all good.

Latest Discussions