As a newbie - you ever feel like you were frustrating your instructors?

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have those nights were I am trying to learn some new or more complex moves, ones for the first time - and failing miserably for the Xth time he tried to show me, and I can see the assistant instructor getting frustrated - he went over to the head instructor a couple of times to say something like " how can i get him to learn this ? he is not getting it at all".

Tonight was one of those nights I was not focused - 10 hour day at work, tired, helping my kids with math after work, and showing up to class at the end of the day - and just floundering. I can only attend class 2-3 times a week.

It sucks being a beginner, but I hate letting my instructors down or making them frustrated when they try to teach me.

No ... I annoy him much more an advanced student ...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
No ... I annoy him much more an advanced student ...

OK here is the thing. Instructors are the instructors because they are good at what they do. So the concept that you are a bit slow can confuse them sometimes.

They are also normal human beings with normal failings and can sometimes get a bit emotional.

Provided you are both adults about it in that he does not rage out too much and you don't get butt hurt too much you will eventually get over it. It will all click and you will improve.

In simplest terms behave professionally in the dojo.

OK. I had an instructor that was a bit emotional. And I was having a hard time getting tapped in standing guilitines. I resulted in a screaming match and if he didn't have a broken knee he probably would have come after me.

Honestly it happens. We got over it.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes it was sticks and knife work from day one... this is Inosanto JKD. I would prefer a little less Kali weapons work at my school, but its all good.

It will be the other way around for me, more Kali weapons. Well I think at least, plus also Panantukan. That will be some way off though.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
All students annoy and frustrate their instructors at times. And all instructors annoy and frustrate their students at times.

Because we're all human... or most of us are, at any rate.

Suck it up and move on, is generally the best thing you can do.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
OK here is the thing. Instructors are the instructors because they are good at what they do. So the concept that you are a bit slow can confuse them sometimes.

They are also normal human beings with normal failings and can sometimes get a bit emotional.

Provided you are both adults about it in that he does not rage out too much and you don't get butt hurt too much you will eventually get over it. It will all click and you will improve.

In simplest terms behave professionally in the dojo.

OK. I had an instructor that was a bit emotional. And I was having a hard time getting tapped in standing guilitines. I resulted in a screaming match and if he didn't have a broken knee he probably would have come after me.

Honestly it happens. We got over it.

You so totally missed this. Have fun anyway.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The only time i know I've frustrated my instructor is when I would go back to a lesson after not practicing the material I was taught in the previous weeks private lesson.

Lesson Learned LOL

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
drop bear said:

Sorry, do you mean yourself tapping, or the other bloke?

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only time i know I've frustrated my instructor is when I would go back to a lesson after not practicing the material I was taught in the previous weeks private lesson.

Lesson Learned LOL

Just out of curiosity, how many hours do you generally train a week. Thinking of getting myself some private lessons, but work and all that stuff.

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, how many hours do you generally train a week. Thinking of getting myself some private lessons, but work and all that stuff.

Thats when I was a kung fu student and the way the school was structured was each student had an instructor that gave that student a private lesson each week half hour to an hour long which was the required rank material to progress in the system.

The school gave unlimited group classes to all the students so you could technically train like 4 hours a day 6 days a week.

After relocating im taking aikido lessons 2hours times 2 days a week for live application training and filling in the training gaps with daily practice of my Kung fu, tai chi and bagua forms that i previously learned or am still adding to thru media since I have a decent foundation in those arts.

Im about ready to really start pushing a stretching routine to see if I can get the full splits at the age of 34 since I can tell my flexibility is not a good as it use to be LOL

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats when I was a kung fu student and the way the school was structured was each student had an instructor that gave that student a private lesson each week half hour to an hour long which was the required rank material to progress in the system.

The school gave unlimited group classes to all the students so you could technically train like 4 hours a day 6 days a week.

After relocating im taking aikido lessons 2hours times 2 days a week for live application training and filling in the training gaps with daily practice of my Kung fu, tai chi and bagua forms that i previously learned or am still adding to thru media since I have a decent foundation in those arts.

Im about ready to really start pushing a stretching routine to see if I can get the full splits at the age of 34 since I can tell my flexibility is not a good as it use to be LOL

Huh, try 43 lol

ST1Doppelganger said:

Interesting way of doing it. Is that bespoke or normal?

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score

The dreaded splits... Vertical or horizontal splits?

Personally id rather do 100 pushups than even attempt the splits even once

ST1Doppelganger

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Interesting way of doing it. Is that bespoke or normal?

It was the normal way the school did things.

Private instructor teaches a half our private lesson per student (I was an hour long lesson since I added & paid for the extra weekly half hour lesson) all the curriculum material was taught in probate lessons.

The group classes consisted of self defense class, kicking class, point sparring class, contact sparring class, weapons class, weapons sparring class.

All the group class stuff wasn't required material in the curriculum and was more of a bonus work out except for the weapons class taught the weapon forms.

It worked pretty well and I became an instructor at the school then understood how it felt when students didn't practice their material and showed up to lessons that you had to teach last lessons material over in. It was a great learning experience.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sorry, do you mean yourself tapping, or the other bloke?

Me. I was getting caught in standing guillotines. The guy who was doing it was a tradesman of some sort and had arms like steel pipes. And my defence wasn't great.

I have a different coach now by the way.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It was the normal way the school did things.

Private instructor teaches a half our private lesson per student (I was an hour long lesson since I added & paid for the extra weekly half hour lesson) all the curriculum material was taught in probate lessons.

The group classes consisted of self defense class, kicking class, point sparring class, contact sparring class, weapons class, weapons sparring class.

All the group class stuff wasn't required material in the curriculum and was more of a bonus work out except for the weapons class taught the weapon forms.

It worked pretty well and I became an instructor at the school then understood how it felt when students didn't practice their material and showed up to lessons that you had to teach last lessons material over in. It was a great learning experience.

Cool. Never come across that myself. Anything one on one at class in my experience, was just a few minutes at the end of a class. Mainly just clarification of the subject matter

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Me. I was getting caught in standing guillotines. The guy who was doing it was a tradesman of some sort and had arms like steel pipes. And my defence wasn't great.

I have a different coach now by the way.

Definitely going to ask the BJJ guys if they can demonstrate that one at class. So far all I have seen is floor stuff.

OP
crazydiamond

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted to add a follow up....

While my Sinawalli/exscrima still needs work, I messed up last week with 1-17 angle knife drills.... I have some ability with kick boxing (muay thai). Thanks to yoga (bound angle anyone?) and weight training I have good hips and core abilities for a... 49 year old

When the instructor gave instructions about not worrying about kicking high enough and taking it easy ...he was looking at me directly and not rest of class. As we began the drills with the pads, and I got warmed up - he looked over at my drills with another instructor and exclaimed whoa ! hey look at this (to other instructors).. holly cow..... wow.

Some times, I guess.... even a old newbie can impress an instructor. It was a good night.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did a whole class of ippon seonagi which I still haven't got right yet. Yeah I was frustrating my instructor.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have those nights were I am trying to learn some new or more complex moves, ones for the first time - and failing miserably for the Xth time he tried to show me, and I can see the assistant instructor getting frustrated - he went over to the head instructor a couple of times to say something like " how can i get him to learn this ? he is not getting it at all".

Tonight was one of those nights I was not focused - 10 hour day at work, tired, helping my kids with math after work, and showing up to class at the end of the day - and just floundering. I can only attend class 2-3 times a week.

It sucks being a beginner, but I hate letting my instructors down or making them frustrated when they try to teach me.
Screw those assistant instructors. It not their job to shame newbies into quitting, but they still try. :(

Latest Discussions