Article 8 Time/Age limits POOM/DAN

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Charlie is on the USA-NKF JR National Team and is a Shodan in Shotokan Karate...current National Champion 14-15 under 60kl...His black belt is regularly questioned on this BBS some have even called me a liar!

Which is humorous, considering that I have seen it referred to as "children's karate" quite a few times on this BBS.

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
Skill level does have a lot to do with it. When I see a child black belt who is incredibly skilled I dont have a problem with it as much, but highly skilled child black belts are incredibly rare. I must admit, since Ive started shotokan I have seen much higher skilled children, there is a kid in my shotokan class who is an eight year old green belt and he is really good, he trains six days a week though, and the club is incredibly strict on kid's standards. It is extremely rare for a child not to have to "sit out" every second grading, and the slightest slip up at grading is automatic fail. With these sorts of guidelines, I can accept child black belts a little more. I have only seen one child black belt since training there and he is mind blowingly good.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Charlie just won a Bronze Medal tonight at the Karate JR International Open under 60kl..he won 5 fights lost 4-3 to Venezuela...
This kid was the under 57 kg Pan Am Champion...had fighters From Australia, Sierra Leone, Mexico, Venezuela and Ecuador.

HE fights in the US Open on Sunday un 52kg...

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Skill level does have a lot to do with it. When I see a child black belt who is incredibly skilled I dont have a problem with it as much, but highly skilled child black belts are incredibly rare. I must admit, since Ive started shotokan I have seen much higher skilled children, there is a kid in my shotokan class who is an eight year old green belt and he is really good, he trains six days a week though, and the club is incredibly strict on kid's standards. It is extremely rare for a child not to have to "sit out" every second grading, and the slightest slip up at grading is automatic fail. With these sorts of guidelines, I can accept child black belts a little more. I have only seen one child black belt since training there and he is mind blowingly good.
When the child demonstrates the ability, I am fine with it. I don't even require them to be as good as the one's in the video, as many adult black belts are not either. As I said, I saw video of a fourth dan who wasn't that good within the past year.

However, when a school is cranking them out, I tend to view it as a business decision designed to milk parents out of one last chunk of cash prior to the contract's end.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
When the child demonstrates the ability, I am fine with it. I don't even require them to be as good as the one's in the video, as many adult black belts are not either. As I said, I saw video of a fourth dan who wasn't that good within the past year.

However, when a school is cranking them out, I tend to view it as a business decision designed to milk parents out of one last chunk of cash prior to the contract's end.

Did we see the same video!:fart:

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Did we see the same video!:fart:
Are you talking about the kid or the adult that I mentioned?

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The Adult... it was not a serious question! Probably a little punchy...I just spent 3 days and 36 hours running a scoreboard at a Karate tournament.
:drinkbeer

Latest Discussions