Are you a "this-guy" or a "that-guy"

Shotochem

Purple Belt
Founding Member
Reaction score
Maybe he was referring to a persons "core art".

I currently study Kempo, but I have studied Shotokan first and longer than my current art. When I move you can still see my core movements are not purely Kempo but resemble Shotokan.

The longer I train the more Kempo I get but I don't think the Shotokan will just dissapear out of my MA. Nor would I really want it to.

My kempo friends still refer to me as "That Shotokan Guy".
(depending on how much butchering of technique I'm accomplishing at the time.):wink2:

-Marc-

tempus

Green Belt
Reaction score
I would say I have one core art and hope to add to it.

"There are many paths to the top of the mountain, but if you keep switching paths you never get to the top." With that said once I reach the top of my art I plan on taking a different path down and then explore some other side paths on the way back up.

charyuop

Black Belt
Reaction score
If you are suddenly attacked by someone what style will come out by instinct? If one comes out even tho you practice more than one Art, you just labeled yourself. If you are not sure and it depends on the occasion, then label is not for you.

Just my 2 cents...

IcemanSK

El Conquistador nim!
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This is a bad way to advertise? I would not have thought so. I wonder why I don't see this as a bad thing. What am I missing? For example, I don't see how any new student may know of someone to ask for a referral to a school.

Also, perhaps the man hoped that seeing this jacket would spark some interest in someone, and they may join the school. Now, I have no such jacket to wear (we do not have them at our school), and I suppose that is a good thing.

I am confused as to how this would be a bad thing, though. Should you not be proud of your school? Should you not wish to support it?

EDIT: DANG IT! I should have started a new thread to ask this question! I was not thinking how this was off topic. My apologies.

It's not even the jacket that makes this guy hard to swallow. It's not even him IDing himself "MA guy". It's him looking at another MAist & wanting that person to define themselves in the same narrow definition that he sees himself. That's the hard part for me.

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
Has anyone else ever heard of this 'martial-labelling'? Did this happen one night while I was asleep? Has anyone in any way been a victim of 'martial-labelling'?

I see a couple of ways of interpreting that question:

1. Is one art your main or dominant art, which is informed by other training?
  2. Why can't you make up your mind?
I think (1) is a reasonable, thought-provoking question. I think (2) is intolerant. I do, agree, generally that one is best to focus on one art to start with, by which I mean one should get consistent instruction. For instance, a good karate teacher makes you stand in a certain stance for years and years for a reason that often doesn't become clear until you've spent years and years doing what you were told. {I have no idea if that makes any sense.}

newGuy12

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I do, agree, generally that one is best to focus on one art to start with, by which I mean one should get consistent instruction. For instance, a good karate teacher makes you stand in a certain stance for years and years for a reason that often doesn't become clear until you've spent years and years doing what you were told. {I have no idea if that makes any sense.}

Yes, it makes all the sense in the world to me. You know, Eric Raymond (some talk bad about him, but I look up to him and appreciate his essays) says that if one wishes to learn to program a computer, they should not learn just one language.

He advises students to learn more than one language. As a matter of fact, he explicitly suggests that one learn C (and C++), Java, Perl, Python, and LISP. He says you should study the LISP even if you never use it, because you can then think in different ways.

Perhaps this exercises the brain. Well, then, maybe it is similar with these martial arts. You can learn some, say, oh, Aikido (just for example, say). You may not know it enough to use it for self defense, but still, it cannot hurt to explore these different motions, and the ways that joints move (and DON'T move), for example!

Not to mention meeting new people (martial artists are the best). You know, "push the boundaries" a little bit.

Haha -- pretend that you are on that TV show "Human Weapon", LOL -- just joking.

But of course, would not most people wish to go deeply in at least ONE way? And how much time does that take? Quite a bit, right? To become skillful at even one takes quite a long time, right?

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if there's a similar thread on this topic so, here we go...

Was at work the other day (ye olde pizza shop) when a customer came into the lobby wearing a martial arts jacket (will not name style or school so as not to offend.) So I began asking him about his training, did he like it, how was his instructor etc etc. He asked me if I was into martial arts, and I replied that yes I had been training for 10 years or so. He asked me what martial art I studied so I ran down a list of the styles that I have studied/am studying. My two main styles of study are Aikido and Karate and I told him this. So he asked me "so, are you a Karate-guy or an Aikido-guy?" I asked him to elaborate. He then informed me that his instructor taught his students that you can only have one main style of study and that is your 'martial-label' if you will.

Has anyone else ever heard of this 'martial-labelling'? Did this happen one night while I was asleep? Has anyone in any way been a victim of 'martial-labelling'?

I call myself a Martial Artist. IMO, that provides a blanket cover, considering I don't train in just one art. I have a base art, which is Kenpo. I've done Kenpo longer than Arnis or BJJ, but I don't call myself a "Kenpo guy" when I talk about training. But to answer your otiginal question, this is the first that I've heard of the labelling that you mention. :)

Mike

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ages ago when I was young I played Baseball, Football, and Basketball. At age 11 I started boxing and gymnastics. At 12 I started Track and martial arts. I continued practicing and training in all of these sports until graduating from high school. I lettered in Football, Track, and Baseball. So which of these was my core or main style? Why no labeling with this but in martial art we must be labeled?

Please don’t tell any of my coaches; I actually used aspects of the different training I received in all of these sports and used them within the others. I crossed trained my running in all of them, I crossed over the changing of running angles from football into basketball and fortunately my coaches never knew because I know they would have been upset over my confusing my football attributes and movements with my basketball and baseball abilities. My hand - eye coordination from baseball was utilized in my boxing (later in my martial arts) and again I was able to keep it from my boxing coach. The strength and balance training and abilities I developed from gymnastics seeped into all of my other sports and my football coaches were non-the wise.

I even did the same thing in my all of my schooling. The writing and reading skills I gained in one class I used in all of my other classes and did very well. Get This, I graduated with high marks in ALL of my classes and was training in 6 (six) different classes 5 days a week. I’ve got to be honest, It was Hard to keep all my coaches and teachers in the dark about all my cross training but in the long run I truly believe I am better off having done all the different training, so much so that I continued with this practice while serving in the military and again in college. Even today I still use all of the attributes I developed from those early years in my job and in my martial arts but, please I implore you, Do Not Tell my Instructors or my students.

As to what I am, I am a man who has been well trained in a number of subjects from Language, Writing, Math, Sciences, Sports, Combat, Husbandry, Fatherhood, and many other things. I am a culmination of all of my training and experiences and my style is Me, Danny T

thardey

Master Black Belt
Reaction score

Was at work the other day (ye olde pizza shop) when a customer came into the lobby wearing a martial arts jacket (will not name style or school so as not to offend.) So I began asking him about his training, did he like it, how was his instructor etc etc. He asked me if I was into martial arts, and I replied that yes I had been training for 10 years or so. He asked me what martial art I studied so I ran down a list of the styles that I have studied/am studying. My two main styles of study are Aikido and Karate and I told him this. So he asked me "so, are you a Karate-guy or an Aikido-guy?" I asked him to elaborate. He then informed me that his instructor taught his students that you can only have one main style of study and that is your 'martial-label' if you will.

I've been labeled, and attempted to be labeled since I was a kid. Like some others in this thread, I have a wide range of hobbies, and they are hobbies I take seriously, and often apply techniques from one to the others. This means that often people who only have one or two hobbies (of which there's nothing wrong), often can't understand that I have interests outside of their interests.

Most of the time this is harmless. Sometimes, though, insecure people turn it into the "real man" argument. ("He says I can't be a man 'cause he doesn't smoke the same cigarettes as me!") I've been accused of not being a Real: Cowboy, Dancer, Biker, Martial artist, Musician, Christian, Man, Friend, among others, not because I don't do what those types of people do, but because I also do other things.

When this happens, it's just a matter of some insecure person thinking that they've found an identity, a label that they can be proud of, because that gives them security and companionship. For some, this makes them feel protected, for others, it makes them feel constricted. We all started there at some point, we've just had different influences and cultures that either let us had more independence, or required more loyalty to a group identity.

Neither one is really bad, it just gets frustrating when one mindset can't understand why anyone else would have a different mindset.

Me? I wouldn't be a "karate-guy" or an "aikido-guy" I don't even know if I qualify as a "martial arts-guy". There's other parts of my life that are far more prominent in my life.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

With some styles that have a different teaching approach it is easier to have a base in one before moving on to another. This is why some may refer to this or that. In the end it is just the style of yourself, be it from one style or a combination of all the styles you have trained. Your art is the sum of your parts, and if you have made the techniques your own, then your system is your system. Now of course, your system may look just like the system you are currently studying. You might even favor one over the other. But it may also depend upon the situation and then you may reflect both, or multiple. But in the end you should be able to say I did this from this sytem and that from that system. But it does not matter if you are a martial artists, or a KMA or JMA or FMA, or MMA, or etcetera. Are you happy with your training and what you are learning and doing? If so tehn keep it up, and let the others pigeon hole and define things in a manner they can understand. (* Just remember this, when you teach as some may require this for them to understand for themselves. :) *)

Good Luck

Don Black

White Belt
Reaction score
No, to be stuck on just one style forces you to ignore a whole lot of good stuff that is out there in other styles.

I'll second that.
I'm not ranked in any discipline, but I look at all of them (that I can), and take what works best for me in a given situation. It won't always be the same.
I don't mean to piss in anyones cornflakes, but to me, martial arts is a useful skill set, not a sport.
I'm way too old to mix it up with the young Dojo ballerinas, but I do enjoy the Katas & regard them as top notch exercise.

YoungMan

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a Tae Kwon Do guy. It's not the only part of my life, but it is an important part and helps define me. I often wear shirts proclaiming our organization, not to advertise for students, but because I'm proud of my affiliation.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score

It's not really a labelling, IMNSHO. I look at it kinda like college. Taekwondo is my major and that's where I'm going to spend most of my time. The other m.a.'s are minors or electives that I take to round out my major.

TheArtofDave

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I guess you can say PasaRyu will be my base art, and Shotokan would be my secondary art. Though I'd rather pick up Isshinryu instead. There are instructors set in their ways who believe one art defines you. This was probably when at the time other styles weren't as prevalent as they are now.

Thats not to say that they're right. As far as the jacket I could say promoting your art to get others interested, or perhaps promotion of the school, but not if the instructor was under the impression one style defined you, and would work best in your daily life.

I was always taught respect and exploration for other styles because all all of the styles are connected in some way but your syle and art is very personal and you may not choose to branch out and that is fine. But I would rather branch out because you'll have a better understanding of each of the styles and you can become more fluent in each of your chosen arts.

I've seen this type of labeling before. All you can really say is that I respect your instructors pov, but that isn't mine, and leave it at that. No need to arguing with somebody who keeps a narrow minded view like that.

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score

This demonstrates to me a lack of perspective on the part of the instructor. A good instructor knows that the martial artist a person becomes is the sum total of their experiences. That does not mean that I believe that everything becomes a mish-mash, rather that nearly everything you learn will have an influence, hopefully posititve, but sometimes negative.

If an individual properly studys different arts, them most likely they will exhibit the best traits of each.

Respects,
Bill Parsons
Triangle Kenpo Institute