Are you a Swimmer or Thruster.

jdinca

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
MartialIntent said:
Does anyone think the swim style punch might generate more power [impulse] since it's potentially travelling a greater distance?

Yes, the overhand could generate more power but, as was mentioned, it's going to take longer to get to its target, much the same as a roundhouse kick can be more powerful than a wheel kick but it's going to be slower also. Once someone is more advanced and has developed the speed and the technique, the thrust punch could be just as damaging.

Power comes from speed, not strength in most cases.

Maltair

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Never thought about it before but..
jdinca said:
I try and get my punches to come straight off the shoulder with the elbow in, not out (thruster, I guess). Shortest distance between two points, and all that.

Met this TKD lady that would finish her round house kick with an over head shot like your talking about. Been meaning to practice that one :)

OP
Touch Of Death

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I sometimes point out to swimmers that they are diving into their punches. Its not only slower in but slower back. I guess it could also affect posture if a swimmer wasn't carfull.
Sean

Adept

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Being a large guy, I tend to favour the overhand 'swim' punch where it is appropriate. I can 'dive' into it with a right, and follow up with a quick uppercut off the left. The overhand 'swim' is a big, heavy punch that (for me) requires less time to put into effect than a similarly powerful 'thrust' punch would, because all the weight of my body is in motion the second that arm starts moving. I don't have to drive off the ground, or get my footwork set up as I would if I were to deliver a similarly powerful thrust punch.

Having said that, I try and always use the best tool for the job.

Latest Discussions