Are titles that important? SokeCalkins Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Mr Calkins, there are still several issues you haven't addressed, from as early in this thread as my first post. I'll quote my questions, leaving out the ones you've answered:

Aegis said:
If you believe that titles are so unimportant, why not renounce yours? You've got them, they must seem unimportant to you, why not just do away with them?

Why not do like kano-sensei did and not award yourself any rank or title? he's one of the greatest martial artists of the last century, and you've promoted yourself above him. is it any wonder that people get annoyed?
Your comments on these questions would be appreciated, as would a response to my second post in this thread.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
Once again Mr. Calkins is back in the spotlight. Why? Have we not questioned him enough? Why do we keep feeding him with attention? If we never heard of him or he never posted here would we even care about who or what he teaches? I know that I would not. I guess to make a long story short he has not answered some of the questions in regards to his training. What does this tell me? Well some of the moderators think it is because there are to many questions asked to quick. I think it is because he may not have the answers. Just my opinion. The fact of the matter is that Mr. Calkins can teach whoever he wants whatever he wants and call it whatever he wants also. There is nothing we can do about it. He will be faced one day with questions by his senior students that he may or may not be able to answer. At that time they will begin to question their training and see that it may have been based on nothing more than a smoke and mirrors show. Once again good luck Mr. Calkins.

OP
BruceCalkins

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I have replyed to All the Answers, But many people on this forum just don't like the answers. Well I'm sorry... They are the facts and the only answers I have...

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What was the style of Karate called again??

Aegis

Purple Belt
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
I have replyed to All the Answers, But many people on this forum just don't like the answers. Well I'm sorry... They are the facts and the only answers I have...
Well, I would beg to differ. I'm not going to ask any more questions, but if at some point you'd like to address the questions in my previous posts, then it would be appreciated. Until then, there's not really much more to say.

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
What was the style of Karate called again??

According to Bruce, it was called Tsunami Ryu and was assisted by the JKA (Japan Karate Association) . I am not sure if this is correct but I am sure Bruce can clarify if this is a error on my part.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I thought that was the style he helped "set-up". So he is also getting ranked in the system as he is helping create it?? Would the JKA do anything outside the Shotokan circle??

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
The Kai said:
I thought that was the style he helped "set-up". So he is also getting ranked in the system as he is helping create it?? Would the JKA do anything outside the Shotokan circle??

Todd, Good question, then again only God and Bruce can unravel this mysterious style. :ultracool

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:

I think that comment was rather rude. There is no need to take that sort of tone here. You have made claims and people are within their right to ask you about them. If you do not give adequate answers, they are not out of bounds in treating you as if your training history is fiction as long as they are not rude about it.

And I happen to be waiting for some answers on black star ninjutsu you claim to have trained in. There seems to be no proof to back up your story, and you seem reluctant to give any information that would allow someone like me to confirm your story of being a live in student.

Perhaps if you could deal with that it would be a show of good faith on your part.

OP
BruceCalkins

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Akashiro Tamaya said:
According to Bruce, it was called Tsunami Ryu and was assisted by the JKA (Japan Karate Association) . I am not sure if this is correct but I am sure Bruce can clarify if this is a error on my part.
A Man named Mark Wagner started Yami-Umi-Do and way teaching it in Rochester, NY. I joined with his Top Instructor of the system David Mason. (David was a top student and Instructor with Joe Jennings while he was in Rochester, Jo Has Moved to Calf.) I studied With David Mason & Mark Wagner Starting in 1994. I moved up fast because I had already had training. I recieved my 1st degree in Oct. 1995 and began teaching full time. It took me 6 years to reach 7th. I know this is fast but I was at the Dojo 4 nights a week for up to 5 hours and besides teaching I trained. Mr. MAson did not stant on time lines he teasted a student when he was ready. You did a Review and then tested. If you were Ready.. You passed. Title came with rank, 1st = Sensei 3rd = Dai-Sensei or Renshi I had Both titles because the Renshi Senior to me moved out of state. I was then the Senior 3rd. 5th = Shihan, 7th = Hanshi.....
In 1999 Mark Wagner Died in FL. on a visit ans David Mason was in charge of the system. Out of Respect for Mark and because he wanted to make some small changes in the system he re named it Tsunami-Ryu Karate-Do and had it affiliated with the JKA. As a Senior Instructor all the Senior staff had a small say in some of the changes in the system to help re build it. With my past in different arts several things from my training also went into the art.
For example:: When it was Yami-Umi-Do much of it was from Isshin Ryu and Shotokan, The Out Side Block was with the Thumb Side of the hand Palm In... After training in Kenpo starting in 1995 I asked to have the outside block changed to the EPAKK style of the Hammer to the Outside Box. I feel it is stronger and more effective. I trained and was a Senior Instructor in Both Schools from 1995 until I left Tsunami-Ryu in 2004.

OP
BruceCalkins

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Don Roley said:
I think that comment was rather rude. There is no need to take that sort of tone here. You have made claims and people are within their right to ask you about them. If you do not give adequate answers, they are not out of bounds in treating you as if your training history is fiction as long as they are not rude about it..
Never Intended. Just a statement of fact. I gave the information people asked and they don't seem to like or want to believe it. I can only give the answers and they are true.. I can't make someone with a closed mind believe me*. (*I am not talking to you directly I am talking in General)

Don Roley said:
And I happen to be waiting for some answers on black star ninjutsu you claim to have trained in. There seems to be no proof to back up your story, and you seem reluctant to give any information that would allow someone like me to confirm your story of being a live in student.
Perhaps if you could deal with that it would be a show of good faith on your part.
Here again I have given all my information. I studied with David Frost In Garland Tx. At a School Called The Black Star Ninjitsu Academy. I lived in a dorm from Nov 1975 - Aug 1976. There were several others there and we trained everyday. Ate there, Slept There and Trained there. I moved around a lot because my father was in Baseball. (Junoir Lopez) and I missed the areas school entry date so I was going to have to take the years grade over again anywhay so my Mom and Dad Let me go there for the time and also it was easier for me than traveling on the road with the team. (Has no one ever heard of a Bording School. Parents leave their kids at them all the time. I have a hard time believein that this is a hard concept.) In the time I was there The Training went from a White Do-gi and a Canvas Obi, Then you moved to a Red Do-gi and fianly to a Black Do-gi and a Black Sash. This was instructor grade. As Red Gi you assisted the instructors We studied in Sai, Staff, Sword, Chain and many other weapons. This is something I excelled in and I soon was helping to teach the Weapons classes.
Mr. Frost had many pictures of him training with SK Hayes and Soke Masaaki Hatsumi. I am not sure if the School in Tx was affiliated of not. I think it was but I don't like to make statements of fact when I'm not sure.

OP
BruceCalkins

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
PS: I never watched American Ninja but This Academy was around long before this movie... Maybe someone trained there or Met. Mr. Frost at a Demonstration and used the name??????? Don't Know

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
Mr. Frost had many pictures of him training with SK Hayes and Soke Masaaki Hatsumi. I am not sure if the School in Tx was affiliated of not. I think it was but I don't like to make statements of fact when I'm not sure.

Oh well, you see that is part of the problem. Aside from the fact that there is no proof to what you say and no way to check your story the above is kind of a problem.

You see, at the time that you say you were training with Mr Frost, SK Hayes had not taken anyone to Japan to train with Hatsumi and Hatsumi had not been to the states. I believe that SK Hayes had not even started teaching anyone outside of a few students in another state at the time.

In fact, you claim to have started training in November of 1975 and I just found this quote about SK Hayes.

In June of 1975, he finally met the teacher he'd been seeking all his life in Soke Masaaki Hatsumi, the 34th grandmaster of the Togakure Ryu ninjutsu tradition and 8 other traditions.

Now, the certificates you got from Mr Frost were signed by a computer, not a human it seems. And the computer program was invented years after the time frame you gave. The title of the school is the same as a bad ninja movie, that came out after your time frame. It is not Japanese in origin. It uses non- ninjutus weapons like sai. No one else seems to have heard of it despite it's having live in students.

With all of the above, can you see how some people have problems with your story?

If you could work with us and give us information that would allow us to go to people like Mr Frost, or someone who knew you at the time but had no stake in your story and confirm what you say things would be a lot less tense around here. With all the problems that your story has, I do not think it unreasonable for you to make an extra effort to prove that you are not a fraud. We can't stop people from treating you as if you made up the story out of thin air- we can only stop them from being rude to you.

OP
BruceCalkins

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Mr Frost was stationed in Japan during the Military. This is all I know. And the Certificate as I have stated in other posts I was forced to re create. If this makes it fake then Fine. I have not changed my story and I won't. I had to re creat several of my certificates do to loss over the years due to travel or too badly damaged.

Sai was a weapon Mr Frost enjoyed so it was taught. I teach a Karate School but I teach Chinese weapons. Many Instructors teach what they enjoy not just tradition.

OP
BruceCalkins

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
There are a lot of people in here that post about their school and Instructors.. Just because I have never trained with them, Seen them in A Magazine or heard of them doesn't make them fake.. There are New Black Belts earning titles every day somewhere in the world. No one can know all of them. New system, New styles Now Named Dojos, Dojangs, and Kwons,,, All over the world.

OP
BruceCalkins

BruceCalkins

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Here is a littel question for people...

Many people say the if they can't prove or meet your instructor they are fake.... "I have never seen this style, Fact Proves that that never happened, It can't be that way because this happened back then....

I have never Seen God,,,, I Have read Fact about creation of man and it was not from Adam and Eve..... Does this make this fake. Does this mean it never happened.... I don't even try to claim myself as God so for the few of you that would comment on that you can stop now. As for the Sientific Proof of mans creation....... Evelution has been proven... Creation has not. But we believe in it. We worship it we study it... Where is the liniage of it.... Who started it...... Where is the credentials.......

I am what I am... A Martial Artist with 37 years experience and training in several styles. I am proud of them and have answered all the question.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
I can only give the answers and they are true.. I can't make someone with a closed mind believe me

My mind is very open to informed education. No matter how many times you say it, Soke does NOT mean founder. This IS true, and has been repeatedly verified by educated individuals on every forum you have visited, and then some. Only the promotion pigs that need the wall candy to compensate for their lack of real ability and real history seem to agree with you. I have no respect for them.

You are what you are. What that is, is very apparent to anyone with real experience with real martial arts.

Here is how the world see you and your claims:
http://www.subfighter.com/ftopicp-123331.html
http://www.subfighter.com/ftopic-9009-days0-orderasc-0.html

- Your certs are signed by computer.
- Your command of history, facts, and timelines is questionable at best.
- Your training conveniently cannot be verified.
- You are abusing titles from arts and cultures you do not teach.

How can we contact your supposed instructors to verify your claims?

I admire your "stick to it ness", but one must ask you, when will you realize the reality of the situation? You are a small town school owner, teaching glorified dance steps to the ignorant. It is good that your students enjoy what they do, but given your background, I honestly hope none of them ever need to use those skills. WNY doesn't have as good a CSI team as we see on TV.

Perry NY - Population: < 4,000
http://www.perrychamber.com/ http://www.idcide.com/citydata/ny/perry.htm
I would be very interested to know just how many "karate" schools are in the Perry area......Kaith doesn't seem to have any listed on his WNY site.

RRouuselot

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Why is it the people that scream “rank has no meaning” & “I don’t care about rank” the loudest are always the people that claim high ranks like 10th or claim to be a “Soke”……

Kind of ironic.

MR. Clakins,

You can call yourself Soke, Grand Exalted One, or Christ re-incarnated for all I care but anyone that knows a thing about martial arts titles will recognize you as a joke for claiming to be a Soke.

You repeatedly claim 37 years of training and try making that sound like it justifies your claims to rank. Well just because you eat coal doesn’t mean you will crap diamonds.

In other words length of years in training doesn’t guarantee you will be skilled. Judging from the things I see on your website and your claims on here I doubt your abilities are at a level to which you claim.

Also looking at your “training” it would seem you have martial arts ADD (can’t stick with one thing for very long)…..that is if you actually trained in all the places you claim.

Personally I don’t think you and your claims are worth the band width it takes to make this thread.

BlackCatBonz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
SokeCalkins said:
Here is a littel question for people...

Many people say the if they can't prove or meet your instructor they are fake.... "I have never seen this style, Fact Proves that that never happened, It can't be that way because this happened back then....

I have never Seen God,,,, I Have read Fact about creation of man and it was not from Adam and Eve..... Does this make this fake. Does this mean it never happened.... I don't even try to claim myself as God so for the few of you that would comment on that you can stop now. As for the Sientific Proof of mans creation....... Evelution has been proven... Creation has not. But we believe in it. We worship it we study it... Where is the liniage of it.... Who started it...... Where is the credentials.......

I am what I am... A Martial Artist with 37 years experience and training in several styles. I am proud of them and have answered all the question.
no you havent........youve given vague facts that cant be proven.

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
RRouuselot said:
Personally I don’t think you and your claims are worth the band width it takes to make this thread.
Maybe he can add "Recognized on numerous forums for the expert I am" to his bio?

:rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions