Are titles that important?

SokeCalkins said:
Teach your first class for free... If they Like what you have they will stay if not Shake their hand and let them leave." He used to say.
I tried to live this way and not show any certificates but then I had people looking for the papers and when I told them I didn't have them for show... They started to doubt before they started to train.
I've been training for about a year and I still havnt seen any of my instructors certificates, and untill recently I didnt even know what dan he was, I just didnt really care. He knows a lot and is very good at it all

chris... said:
I've been training for about a year and I still havnt seen any of my instructors certificates, and untill recently I didnt even know what dan he was, I just didnt really care. He knows a lot and is very good at it all
So, to use another analogy; a dog with certificates/papers is better than a dog without?

hammer said:
Just about every body is a master, soke, professor a doctor, what have you!! Simply put you, are either a student, a teacher or a teachers teacher, thats it in my view.
You forgot lakan. My view is you are or should always be a student

47MartialMan said:
So, to use another analogy; a dog with certificates/papers is better than a dog without?
not sure what you mean. If the no-cert dog was disciplined and understood commands what wouldd make the cert dog better?

chris... said:
not sure what you mean. If the no-cert dog was disciplined and understood commands what wouldd make the cert dog better?
look at it this way;
someone highly certified with, for example, 30 years;
be better than someone not as equally or non-certified with 30 years/

The certified dog cannot be a better dog from a mere piece of paper or material of recognition.

47MartialMan said:
one can still be a teacher and a "student' simultaneously.
of course, i mean more in the method of teaching, some teachers just suck.

I'm so good, this is how its done, do x, then y, and z, ok now practice, i'll just stand here and watch.

47MartialMan said:
look at it this way;
someone highly certified with, for example, 30 years;
be better than someone not as equally or non-cerfied with 30 years
i have certificates in how to build processors with programmable logic and make embedded systems, plus i have my military engineering certificates, do i remember the stuff, well no.

you've got to remember its also happens the other way around, my gf used to do TKD, and she said there are several unfit, unflexible BB students with bad techniques, who would I rather train from, my un-certified lower belt gf of course. To me certs dont mean much, I also said I've never seen any of my instructors certs I never said he didnt have any

chris... said:
of course, i mean more in the method of teaching, some teachers just suck.

I'm so good, this is how its done, do x, then y, and z, ok now practice, i'll just stand here and watch.
So you mean they dont demostrate by physical means?

47MartialMan said:
So you mean they dont demostrate by physical means?
No i mean teachers that like "physically demostrate" if you want to call it that but never practise it

chris... said:
No i mean teachers that like "physically demostrate" if you want to call it that but never practise it
Sorry-please explain a little further-please give an example.

well the easiest example would be the stick fighting patterns we do against each other:
pure teacher, do these strikes like this, now you practice
student teacher, do these strikes like this, now lets practice

chris... said:
well the easiest example would be the stick fighting patterns we do against each other:
pure teacher, do these strikes like this, now you practice
student teacher, do these strikes like this, now lets practice
Hmmn I still dont get it.

My teacher always practiced what he "preached"......

We're getting slightly off topic here. Lets try to return to the topic of the thread "Are titles important?"

Mike

Are titles important?...... Only to the person who's ego depends upon it!

Try teaching kids if you don't give belts. A local school has so many levels of "junior asst. instructor," "junior membership leader," etc., that I've lost count!

arnisador said:
Try teaching kids if you don't give belts. A local school has so many levels of "junior asst. instructor," "junior membership leader," etc., that I've lost count!
I have.

I teach/taught many kids locally who are not concerned with belts.

Would you like to know why?

We have a lil' Dragon Program that is for 5-7 year olds that only gives Patches... The Belt remains the same. Then after they receive their "Future Black Belt" Patch they enter the Youth Program and start with Withe Belt.

Back