Are these effective SD skills?

OP
R

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Edmund BlackAdder said:
He's been doing this over 60 years. Think that makes him qualified to decide the effectiveness. Of course, since there was no audio, and my understanding is he doesn't teach in english, we miss much of what was being explained. Again though, we encounter the differences between UFC fantasy, and traditional arts. Notice the shots to the back of the head at one point.
-So, basically "Hatsumi says so" is your argument? That's nonsense.

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
I stand between the Dorkness and the Not Bright
RoninPimp said:
-So, basically "Hatsumi says so" is your argument? That's nonsense.
I don't know who is more removed from reality. You or Phil.

That isn't what I'm saying. I'm saying that his 60+ years of experience makes him more qualified than you or I. But, I have more experience with Buj. training than you do.

OP
R

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Edmund BlackAdder said:
I don't know who is more removed from reality. You or Phil.

That isn't what I'm saying. I'm saying that his 60+ years of experience makes him more qualified than you or I. But, I have more experience with Buj. training than you do.
-How do you not see that that is the same thing as "Hatsumi says so"? You're going on his word and nothing more. Kinda like people went on the word of the church in Rome that the world is flat.

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hatsumi says so is good enough in some circles, just like Rickson sasy so is good enough in others.

I think both circles are wrong, because I can't do what either of them can do :)

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
Are the demonstrated skills effective for SD?
Yes, most certainly. More importantly the skills you cannot see in the demonstration that are right before your eyes.

RoninPimp said:
And if you say yes, then how do you explain all the MMA footage AND the random fight footage of non trained people available online that doesn't look anything like the video of Hatsumi?
I think you just answered your own question.

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
-How do you not see that that is the same thing as "Hatsumi says so"? You're going on his word and nothing more. Kinda like people went on the word of the church in Rome that the world is flat.
I'm not going on his word. Never spoke to the man. Never met him. I am however going on the opinion of numerous others, all of whom are much more qualified than I to make that judgement. They tell me he is the real deal. I have seen nothing to change that.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
[soapbox/rant]
Out of all these self defense threads I have read, why do they all boil down to someone asking the same old question for which there are already hundreds of threads? Which BTW is... Is my MMA better than your art? or whatever? I like a good debate and to talk shop, but geesh... These threads are getting old.
[/soapbox/rant]

Cheers folks!

OP
R

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
Yes, most certainly. More importantly the skills you cannot see in the demonstration that are right before your eyes.

I think you just answered your own question.
-Please elaborate on these skills that are right before my eyes.

-OK, how about footage of anybody, of any skill level, fighting for real, or for sport. None I have ever seen looks like what Hatsumi demonstrates. Can you point me in the direction of footage that has resisting oponents being defeated with those techniques? With the research power that the interweb provides, I'm sure that if it exists, it can be found for all to see...

OP
R

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Edmund BlackAdder said:
I'm not going on his word. Never spoke to the man. Never met him. I am however going on the opinion of numerous others, all of whom are much more qualified than I to make that judgement. They tell me he is the real deal. I have seen nothing to change that.
-So opinions of those whose only evidence is more opinion of hypothetical technique is enough to form an accurate opinion? That is about as shaky as it gets...

OP
R

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Bigshadow said:
True! But you are only seeing part of it.
-So the most important part of the demonstration isn't in the demonstration? Man, those ninjas sure are secretive...

cfr

Black Belt
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
-Please elaborate on these skills that are right before my eyes.

-OK, how about footage of anybody, of any skill level, fighting for real, or for sport. None I have ever seen looks like what Hatsumi demonstrates. Can you point me in the direction of footage that has resisting oponents being defeated with those techniques? With the research power that the interweb provides, I'm sure that if it exists, it can be found for all to see...

Thats an awesome question, and I agree. We never, ever, anywhere, see fights that look like these techs do. Not sport, real SD, no where!!! Im sure now it will be chalked up to something like "someone with these skills doesnt need to get into fights" or the like.

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
-So opinions of those whose only evidence is more opinion of hypothetical technique is enough to form an accurate opinion? That is about as shaky as it gets...
Don't you have to go cuddle with some hot sweaty Gracie wannabe to test those mad UFC skillz of yours? Stick to your sport fighting stuff, and leave the traditional stuff to the adults.

The opinions I am talking about here, are from individuals who have in fact used these same techniques, in combat, in life or death situations, in self defense. Not in a sport fighting, rule covered, refed event at 9pm on Spike TV. I have seen the same pointed uneducated question asked as you have, on a dozen boards, over 10 years. The answer is always the same. Those who know, understand and believe. Those who lack the knowledge, sit back and laugh.

If I only need my fist to break you, I will never draw my gun. If I need my gun, it will default to speed and skill. In the case of Dr. Hatsumi, he has both.

OP
R

RoninPimp

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The opinions I am talking about here, are from individuals who have in fact used these same techniques, in combat, in life or death situations, in self defense.
-Details please. Otherwise ****.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
cfr said:
Thats an awesome question, and I agree. We never, ever, anywhere, see fights that look like these techs do. Not sport, real SD, no where!!!
Your right! What you were watching was a training seminar, not a throwdown, UFC match or Mugging.

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
RoninPimp said:
-Details please. Otherwise ****.
Ah, the sewer denizen traditional response. You forget your location mudpit trollkin. The details are there, here, on MAP, on EBudo, on BudoSeek, even in that sewer USENET. I can't be bothered to spoon feed it to you.

In fact, some of the answers are in this thread, but you will refuse to acknowledge them as you'll only be happy if you get to beat up an old man (or rather try) so you can proudly bang on your inbred chest on how your mad UFCfu is so great, again.

Latest Discussions