Are sit-ups truly bad for your back

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
and a waste of time?

In my classes, we do lots of crunches and leg raises. But we also do some sit-ups. Occasionally, we do partner sit-ups and for a longish period of time. I think they're kind of tough after we've done hundreds of crunches and a load of leg raises.

I'm thinking about doing more sit-ups just so they won't be a bear in class.

I have heard that sit-ups build a wide waist, too - that's something I don't want. Mostly, I've heard that sit-ups trash the back and wear out the hip flexors.

Anyone know what's true and what's false????

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do 300 sit ups a day. They aren't bad for your back in of themselves. Like all other forms of conditioning it's all in three things
1, Proper form. Alot of people will arc their back before going up. This makes it easier, but you will hurt yourself.
2, Goal. Doing lots of situps will not (I reapt will NOT) get you a wash board or six pack. Look at me. I do 300 a day, have maxed out on a timeless trial at over 700, and I still have a poch. They will, however, make your gut rock hard. People can slug me in the gut pretty hard, and it's doens't really hurt.
3, How it's performed. If you do only a handful a few days a week, you wont get much. Sit ups are somewhat easy because their is little weight being used. When you increase number (or have a short amount of time to do alot) you will get results, but you have to do it atleast 3 days a week. Otherwise, you're wasteing your time.

If you're doing crunches, you might not need situps. They work the same muscles, in the same way. Sit ups are harder, but easier to hurt yourself on. Either way, keep doing leg raises. They work the lower abdominal instead of the upper. Keep in mind, you have to work up to doing a large number, or you'll hurt yourself. I have never heard of widening your waist though. Anouther thing I can testify to.
If you are going to do these on your own, there is a good modified form of the sit up that is (in my oppion) better then doing just sit ups. When you go up (with your left hand) punch to your right, then twist and punch to the left (with your right hand). This well work you're obliques as well. And give you good practice at that jab-cross combo.

tahuti

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Don't forget ballancing it with lower back exercises. Instead of thinking crunches /situp, think more of core, or trunk and train them all. If you do only front exercises, abs will get stronger than your back muscles and now it is hard to stand straight your back muscles must work overtime to ballance you.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Don't forget ballancing it with lower back exercises. Instead of thinking crunches /situp, think more of core, or trunk and train them all. If you do only front exercises, abs will get stronger than your back muscles and now it is hard to stand straight your back muscles must work overtime to ballance you.

Almost forgot that. Thanks for that.

OP
Lynne

Lynne

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thank you all for the link and advice on proper form and dispelling blanket statements.

Latest Discussions