Brand Spankin' New!

M

Monkey King

This is my first time here and my first time posting.

Just wanted to say hi.:asian:

OP
M

Monkey King

Shaolin Do is a traditional martial art providing its practitioners with time-proven self defense techniques.

Shaolin Do is a very complete and comprehensive martial art. The Shaolin system as taught today is comprised of more than fifty styles and nine hundred forms. From this enormous body of material, today's Shaolin Do practitioners receive a broad-based martial education that covers the entire spectrum of martial arts philosophy and technique.

The Shaolin Do curriculum teaches its practitioners sound fundamentals and provides each practitioner with the appropriate mental and physical challenge for their level of training.

I certainly agree with training in all styles and techniques. But I disagree with the thought that classical techniques are obsolete. When sparring I find those techniques quite effective and often catch an opponent off guard. Many of the techniques are dangerous, which is why we don't compete. I find a wide variety of skills when training in the different styles within this art.

We train in the following systems:
White crane - Shantung Black Tiger - Praying Mantis - Pa Kua Chang - Tai Chi Ch'uan - Fist of the Lohan - Chin Na - Drunken Fist - Monkey - Eight Immortals - Iron Bone - Tiger/Crane - Classical and modern fist of Hua - Eagle Claw - Hsing I Ch'uan - Liu Hsing Ch'uan (Meteor Fist) - Weight vest conditioning - Glove Sparring
Weapons: Staff - Spear (Plum Flower, Yang family, Luo Family) - Double Broadswords - Straight Sword - Kwan Dao - Sai - Nunchaku - 3 sectional staff - Tiger hook swords - Butterfly knives - Sai - Short stick - Dragon staff

There are a lot more but I don't want to tie up this thread with extensive lists.

OP
M

Monkey King

The Seven Shao-lin Temples:
Honan (most famous), Fukien, Shantung, Omei Shan, Kwang Tung, Wu-Tang, & Hua Mountain

My school Heritage: Fukien Shao-lin Temple, Lin Ch'uan Yuan Putien County

Grandmasters:

Su Kong T'ai Djin - (1849 - 1928)
Last grandmaster when the temple was destroyed by the Ch'ing Kwang Hsu Emperor--beginning of the 20th century.

Ie Chang Ming - (1880 - 1968)
Disciple and Successor to Su Kong T'ai Djin. Also one of the last surviving monks at the Fukien temple before it was burned to the ground. Fled to Indonesia when persecuted by soldiers.

Sin Kwang The´ - (1943 - Present)
Current Grandmaster and Successor to Ie Chang Ming. Also from the Fukien province. He chose to use the japanese rankning system since that was the primary art in Indonesia.

David & Sharon Soard -
7th degree masters & students of Sin Kwang The' and my instructors.

OP
K

kickyou

Welcome aboard.This is a great place there are alot of good people here.Hope you stay.

OP
C

Chiduce

Originally posted by Monkey King

The Seven Shao-lin Temples:
Honan (most famous), Fukien, Shantung, Omei Shan, Kwang Tung, Wu-Tang, & Hua Mountain

My school Heritage: Fukien Shao-lin Temple, Lin Ch'uan Yuan Putien County

Grandmasters:

Su Kong T'ai Djin - (1849 - 1928)
Last grandmaster when the temple was destroyed by the Ch'ing Kwang Hsu Emperor--beginning of the 20th century.

Ie Chang Ming - (1880 - 1968)
Disciple and Successor to Su Kong T'ai Djin. Also one of the last surviving monks at the Fukien temple before it was burned to the ground. Fled to Indonesia when persecuted by soldiers.

Sin Kwang The´ - (1943 - Present)
Current Grandmaster and Successor to Ie Chang Ming. Also from the Fukien province. He chose to use the japanese rankning system since that was the primary art in Indonesia.

David & Sharon Soard -
7th degree masters & students of Sin Kwang The' and my instructors.
Hello and welcome to the forum. Is the weight vest conditioning training for improving your jumping & leaping and/or light skills? Sincerely, In Humility; Chiduce!

OP
M

Monkey King

Weight vest conditioning -

Yes, jumping, leaping and light skills. It builds up endurance and conditions the legs when in those deep stances.

kickyou - thanks for inviting me. (mil.com Marine forum -Cpl Z)

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

We train in the following systems:
White crane - Shantung Black Tiger - Praying Mantis - Pa Kua Chang - Tai Chi Ch'uan - Fist of the Lohan - Chin Na - Drunken Fist - Monkey - Eight Immortals - Iron Bone - Tiger/Crane - Classical and modern fist of Hua - Eagle Claw - Hsing I Ch'uan - Liu Hsing Ch'uan (Meteor Fist) - Weight vest conditioning - Glove Sparring

That's something! Are there forms for each of these systems? What is Meteor Fist?

OP
M

Monkey King

Yes there are over 900 forms all together. In fact there is so much information, I can see why it would take a lifetime to master them all.

Meteor fist is another fighting system in kung fu like drunken boxing, or eagle claw. It's particular style reflects the personality of the name. Fists like meteors.

This art is quite colorful.

OP
F

fist of fury

Yes there are over 900 forms all together. In fact there is so much information, I can see why it would take a lifetime to master them all.

Meteor fist is another fighting system in kung fu like drunken boxing, or eagle claw. It's particular style reflects the personality of the name. Fists like meteors.

This art is quite colorful.

900 forms my brain is dizzy just thinking about it. welcome

OP
B

Battousai

Monkey King, your name "Monkey King" in relation to the chinese legend right? I guess Aikira Toriyama (sp?) based Dragonball Z off of the monkey king legend and Jackie Chan.

OP
B

Battousai

Do you or anyone else know were you can buy a weight vest weighing more then 40 pounds? For some reason thats were all the commurcial vests in the US stoped (that I can find..).

OP
M

Monkey King

We contract to have the weight vests made. Then you also recieve a box of lead weights. The vest has pockets for the weights in front and in back. The rule is to start with about 20% of your body weight.

OP
M

Monkey King

arnisador - yes, 900 forms is a lot. the only person who knows them all is the grandmaster. But here's a list to put it in better perspective. Keep in mind that for each belt level you attain, we must also test on ALL of our previous knowledge as well.

Shaolin-Do Rank Advancement

White Belt to Yellow Belt

-- Self Defense 1-24
-- Short Kata 1-10
-- Sparring Techniques 1-10

Yellow Belt to Blue Belt

-- Short Kata 11-15
Ippon Kumite One Step Sparring 1-9
-- Sparring Techniques 1-10
-- Bo Techniques (4 spins)
Se Mong Tau Lie Four Door Way Break
Fei Foo Tzu Tung Flying Tiger Came Out of the Cave

Blue Belt to Green Belt

-- Short Kata 16-22
-- Sparring Techniques 11-15
-- Hand to Hand Techniques
-- Numchaku Techniques 1-12
Big Bird Spreads its Wings
First Level Bo Kata

Green Belt to Third Bown Belt

-- Short Kata 23-30
-- Sparring Techniques 16-20
Fist of the Lo Han
Short Stick of the Northern Beggar

Third Brown Belt to Second Bown Belt

White Crane Flips the Wings
White Crane Circles the Wings
White Crane Flips the Legs
(3 Units) Iron Man
Night Battle Broadsword

Second Brown Belt to First Bown Belt

Tia Cha Sai
4-8 Staff
Descent from Heaven
Spread the Feathers
Performing Dove

First Brown Belt to First Black Belt

Golden Mountain Tiger Trap
Five Directional Palm
Interconnecting Fist
Sea Dragon Cane
General Kwang1/4s Knife

First Black Belt to Second Black Belt

Yang Tai Chi (64)
Classical Pa Kua
Black Tiger Claws the Heart
Black Tiger Turns the Body
Black Tiger Flips the Body
Wounded Black Tiger
Crazy Mad Drunk
Praying Mantis Enters the Door
Drunken Begger
Drunken Broadsword
Spear Fighting Tech.
Luo Family Spear
May Flower Spear
Yang Family Spear
4 Face 8 Dir. Broadsword
Double Tiger Hook Swords Shake Heaven
Swallow Sweeps Down from Heaven
5 Animal Live Training
5 Animal Dead Training
5 Animal ShienTien Chi Training
Change Muscle & Tendon

Second Black Belt to Third Black Belt

Fist of Five Roads
Five Road Linkage Form
12 Animal Forms
Two Man Set
Tai Chi Combined Form (24)
Tiger Crane Duet
White Monkey Prays to Budda
White's Monkey Praying Mantis
Tai Chi Sword
Tai Chi Fan (36)
Tabletop Sword
Seven Star Sword
Skewer the Sun Sword
Broadsword vs. Spear
Drunken Sword
Way of the Shaolin Sword

Third Black Belt to Fourth Black Belt

1st Road of Hua Fist
2nd Road of Hua Fist
3rd Road of Hua Fist
4th Road of Hua Fist
Hua Fist 2 Man Set#1
Hua Fist 2 Man Set#2
Hua Chien Modern Hua Fist
Long Fist
Fist of the Grand Ultimate Mercy
Praying Mantis Fist
Entwine the Dragon
2nd Level Broadsword
Dance of the Dragon King (7 link whip)
Tao Butterfly Knives
Tai Chi Broadsword
Tai Chi Broadsword 2 man set
-- Iron Bone Training
-- Weight Vest Conditioning

Fourth Black Belt to Fifth Black Belt

Ti Ie Chien Li Tie Kuai
Ti Ar Chien Siang Chung Li
Ti San Chien Chuang Kua Chui
Ti Se Chien Li Tung Ping
Ti Chie Chien Lan Chai He
Ti Pa Chien He Shiang Ku
Chen Tai Chi Chuan Chen Tai Chi
Pa Kua Pa Sing Chang 8 Animal Pa Kua
Shaolin 5 Animal Form
Drunken Spear
9 Link Supreme Whip
Twin Tiger Swords
Yin Yang Daggar
Double Hand Ax
Three Section Staff
-- May Flower Post Training

OP
K

kickyou

OK Marine.I can not practice your art that is just way too much knowledge for my little brain.LOL Good on you for being able to do it.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That's fascinating! Thanks for posting it. I'd like to ask questions about almost all of those forms but will hold off for now.

OP
R

Rob_Broad

Welcome to Martial talk, you will find many people willing to share knowledge here. I hope that you truly enjoy it here.

OP
M

Monkey King

I'll be more than happy to share whatever I know with whomever asks.

:asian:

OP
V

vincefuess

How far along are you in the training? Are there many of you? Where/ how/ how much do you train?

Latest Discussions