Are competitive Sport Martial Artists superior?

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think if you are engaging in organized fighting, you are by definition engaging in competitive sport. The former being a subset of the latter. All poodles are dogs, though not all dogs are poodles.

So if I am doing underground, NHB street fights, I can be said to do sports in my free time? You think that's an apt description of what I'm doing simply because they are organized?

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
BJJ is the worst base to have in MMA right now. That is just a fact

Is that why no one enters MMA without at least a blue belt worth of BJJ experience?

Kron did awful. He never beat anyone good.

Yes, a 5-1 record with your only loss being a decision is doing "awful" in professional fighting.... :rolleyes:

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Is that why no one enters MMA without at least a blue belt worth of BJJ experience?

Blue belt is not much of a base. That's considered in the beginner level range of belts. MMA fights are decided by punches far more often than subs.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yes, a 5-1 record with your only loss being a decision is doing "awful" in professional fighting.... :rolleyes:

You can be 200-0 if you fight bums. He failed against an over the hill gatekeeper.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I mean, killing people certainly isn't sport, if that's what you're implying. Your post is so ridiculous, I can't really tell if you're kidding or not. But seriously, if you and I get together at a pre-arranged place and time, and participate in some physical activity with mutually agreed upon rules... yeah, that would be sport. Certainly, that would be competition.
I clicked agree but felt compelled to clarify my opinion on the term competition. If your search the definition of 'competition' it refers back to compete so:
com·pete
/kəmˈpēt/

verb
  1. strive to gain or win something by defeating or establishing superiority over others who are trying to do the same.
This is where I have hard time understanding some peoples perception or standard of the word competition. For me "get together at a pre-arranged place and time, and participate in some physical activity with mutually agreed upon rules" is not competition. That is more akin to training and/or training with standards which we all do. It is not a competition until the agreed upon rules include defining a winner. No one, and I mean no one trains, practices, rolls, goes to class, or whatever with the idea that 'establishing superiority' is a must all the time. Burnout would occur quickly with that mindset. And this is part of the competitive switch that is turned on/off.

I am just trying to better understand your train of thought on several posts regarding competition. Are you 'competing' every time you work out? Not to include the mental competition we all have with ourselves.

FWIW,I fully agree that @Acronym is off base and being rather silly.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Blue belt is hardly a base. That's considered in the beginner level range of belts. MMA fights are decided by punches far more often than subs.

33% of MMA fights are TKO, 20% are by Sub. Also the fight being stopped by a Ground and pound is considered a TKO.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Also the fight being stopped by a Ground and pound is considered a TKO.

Which is my point. You don't learn ground and pound in a modern day BJJ school. When you were asking about competitive sports I'm assuming you weren't referring to vale tudo?

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Blue belt is not much of a base. That's considered in the beginner level range of belts. MMA fights are decided by punches far more often than subs.

I never said it was a base. I said that if you have a martial art that everyone is forced to train in because if they don't know it they're toast in MMA, that means the MA in question isn't as useless as you seem to think it is.

Also Blue belt isn't beginner level. It's mid-level. You're expected to be able to beat black belts of other MAs at Blue belt level in BJJ.

Which is my point. You don't learn ground and pound in a modern day BJJ school. When you were asking about competitive sports I'm assuming you weren't referring to vale tudo?

Uh yes you do. Maybe not in the strictly sport schools, but in the self defense and MMA oriented schools you still do.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I never said it was a base. I said that if you have a martial art that everyone is forced to train in because if they don't know it they're toast in MMA, that means the MA in question isn't as useless as you seem to think it is.

Also Blue belt isn't beginner level. It's mid-level. You're expected to be able to beat black belts of other MAs are Blue belt level in BJJ.

If you don't train striking you're toast as well. I wrote that it's the worst base. Do you know what base means?

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you don't train striking you're toast as well. I wrote that it's the worst base. Do you know what base means?

Sure, but there's multiple forms of striking you can take up. Some learn striking from Karate, others learn it from Muay Thai, some learn it from Boxing.

Everyone has to learn Bjj to be competitive in MMA.

Also did you miss the old Gracies in Action vids? They punched and kicked people all the time.

And most BJJ schools are competitive.

What's your point? BJJ schools have always been competitive. Like @Steve said, that goes back to Maeda and later the Gracies in Brazil.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
What's your point? BJJ schools have always been competitive. Like @Steve said, that goes back to Maeda and later the Gracies in Brazil.

They are oriented towards the IBJJF rules, meaning ground and pound is absent.

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Sure, but there's multiple forms of striking you can take up. Some learn striking from Karate, others learn it from Muay Thai, some learn it from Boxing.

All forms of full contact striking are better bases for fighting than BJJ in todays UFC.

OP
Hanzou

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Acronym

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here's sport BJJ champ Ryan Hall dealing with a drunk guy assailant trying to attack him. You really think Hall doesn't know that he could pound the guy's face into hamburger at any point?

I wrote "defense to ground and pound in a guard"

Latest Discussions