anything unique about how you fight?

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
is there anything unique about how you fight? maybe your stance or a technique or style you have adopted and modified?

for me this is how i look.

Stance:

1.) when i fighting in a defensive position I'm south paw. (strong side forward)

because it gives me added power to intercept attacks from my opponent, and counter quickly and with more power.

2.) on offense I've adopted a western boxing stance (strong side in back) but I've made a couple of changes.

although i do change it up. switching from reg to south guard it just plain better. i find it gives you more of an advantage.

when in the western boxing stance my back foot isn't behind my front foot it is angled so i am more squared to my opponent for better overall balance and support. for example, if you kicked a boxer's front leg and he is in the traditional western boxing stance, he would undoubtedly topple over. Also i always maintain a low center point of gravity keeping my weight balanced on both of my feet at all times. and i am always ready to spring from the balls of my feet.

Footwork:

i use triangle footwork on defense and for most of my counterattacks, as well as for feints. triangle foot work is great for feints.

Kicks:

very rarely do i kick above the waist, and if i do it is usually a knee to the face or ribs.
my side kick and turning back kick are very strong. but from what i have learned from studying JKD is it is not practical in a real street fight, it exposes your guard, and makes you susceptible to counter attacks. therefor i do not when i train. and when i see my opponent going for shin kicks to the head or high round house kicks i sweep, trap, and throw, or almost always take them out or i am able to evade.

Punches:

i wait until the last minute to tighten my fist for added power. and i never throw wide hook punches or uppercuts those are my close range punches i find they are much more effective at close range.

i think that's it for my "Stand up"

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I also go strong side forward. But for me it didn't come from JKD. Got into that habit from the source. I fenced competitively for years and putting my weak side forward never seemed natural after that.

Other than that, the only thing I see different in my style from my local peers is that fact I'm punching less and less. I'm using a lot more of the different hand strikes as time goes on.

Jeff

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
What kind of fighting you talking about, competition, sparring, or save my *** in the street? big difference for me. I used to compete in point sparring as a teenager, then bounced in a few clubs in DC, full contact stick fighting,and then Burmese free-fighting. It all looks different.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
lll000000lll said:
what other hand strikes, hammer fist? open palm?
Palm heels, knife hands, and wrists for the most part.

OP
lll000000lll

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
Jimi said:
What kind of fighting you talking about, competition, sparring, or save my *** in the street? big difference for me. I used to compete in point sparring as a teenager, then bounced in a few clubs in DC, full contact stick fighting,and then Burmese free-fighting. It all looks different.

sparring and real street fighting.

Jimi

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sparring, a lot of lead weapons work, jabs & lead leg low line kicks to set up power follow ups. If it's MMA, then I am less concerned about distance and try to make sure to have the iniciative when the clash/shoot happens. Usually
once the clinch/clash/shoot happen I try to use my weight to smother, I'm a super heavyweight. In the street, a lot of trash can throwing, biting, spitting, cursing, what ever it takes, very animalistic, have ended up grunting, breathing heavy, drool flowing and snot bubbling etc... LOL

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
In sparring I usually start by throwing a lot off different techniques to see if I can find any weak spots in my opponent.
If attacked in a real situation, I`ll usually growl like a mad animal to scare the attacker(s) back a step and then walk/run away.

w.kaer

Green Belt
Reaction score
When I am sparring I like throwing elbows, ridgehands, and backfists. If I ever get turned around, I will undoubtedly throw a back kick. Side kicks and round kicks work for me too. As far as real street fighting I usually ball up into a fetal position and the opponent goes away.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
Lets see..... were to start?

Stance, what ever I feel like. For the most part (lately) I've been in Side Horse Stance (ala Wing Chun). For those who don't know what Side Horse Stance is I'll break it down. Your feet are just outside shoulder width apart. Both your feet are tweeked inward (rear 45 degrees; front 15 degrees) this does two things. First it protects your groin from most kicks. Second it gives you a triangular base. That means you are rooted to the ground and cann't easily be forced to move.
The majority of your weight is on your rear leg. That means you cann't really be swept with any degree of ease. You can also do front leg kicks with with minimual difficulty. You can also move easily if you want to.

As for gaurd I use a tweeked Man Sao Wu Sao (also from wing chun). Anouther one I should break down for you none Wing Chun folks. Your front hand (man sao) is out forward with a slight bend in it. If you draw a line from you solar plexus out both hands will meet up on it, with your back hand also being on a line with your front hands elbow. Both hands are open. This makes it easy to attack, block, counter attack, and it is EXTREMELY difficult to trap your hands.
In my tweeked version the front hand is on a line with your belly button instead of your solar plexus. This closes up the blind spot just under your front hand. The back hand is closed. The philosophy behind this is that your front hand is for the blocking part of a counter attack, and the rear for the attacking part of a counter attack.

I mostly punch when on the offensive. I kick when on the defensive (mostly stepping back to kick) or trying to enter in on my opponent (mostly flying round kicks or flying side kicks). I use grappling to finish it off.

And one extremly unique things I have done is manage to combine dancing foot work with the princples behind Wing Chun. For those that don't know Wing Chun, it's mostly about useing as little energy as possible to get the job done, and make it hurt. They also do alot of counter attacks (were I get most of mine) and trapps (anouther common tactic of mine).

and there you go, an intro to my tactics. hope you got what you wanted out of it.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well first I strip naked (who wants to fight a fat, sweating, 42 year old man?) then...

OOOHHHH, sorry!!

For real though, I don't know if it really is unique or not, but I tend to not be as limber as I was 20 years ago, so I HATE kicking, and try to get in real close because I am more comfortable there. Other than that nothing real special or unique at all.

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
bydand said:
Well first I strip naked (who wants to fight a fat, sweating, 42 year old man?) then...

o.k. dude... you are WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is nasty!!!!! ain't nobody want to here that... read it... what ever. (ewww)

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
CuongNhuka said:
o.k. dude... you are WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that is nasty!!!!! ain't nobody want to here that... read it... what ever. (ewww)

Joke!

Come on now, gotta admit though that would stop me dead in my tracks from jumping somebody. I would be way too busy laughing my behind off at the person.

FearlessFreep

Senior Master
Reaction score
Speaking of which, does laughter become an effective counter attack? I mena getting the other person to laugh. I find that when training, if something funny happens it's *very* hard to maintain muscle control and strength. On the other hand, a little humour to yourself could be very relaxing.

So would you try to use humour, to get you opponent to laugh, as a self-defense motion to make it harder for them to fight?

Or since so much about MA is about self-control and metal clarity and emotional maturity, would you work against the emotions of your opponent? Make him mad, for example?

CuongNhuka

Senior Master
Reaction score
one of the ten don'ts of sparring (in cuong nhu we have collections of little things like this) is don't get angry. you lose energy when mad. and your reactions start to act weird. and bydand... i know... but it's still nasty

stabpunch

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I use predominantly western boxing stance light fast jab. Of late i have begun to feel more confident in the strong hand forward.

Side horse stance or goat stance does not feel natural to me at all, i see how it could be effective if you were to stand still and fight, still it's not my cup of tea.

OP
lll000000lll

lll000000lll

Green Belt
Reaction score
stabpunch said:
I use predominantly western boxing stance light fast jab. Of late i have begun to feel more confident in the strong hand forward.

Side horse stance or goat stance does not feel natural to me at all, i see how it could be effective if you were to stand still and fight, still it's not my cup of tea.

yea training south paw will definitely strengthen your weaker back hand if you take the time to develop it.

Latest Discussions