Anyone Play D&D?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
There's already a universal system that's been out for quite some time: Steve Jackson's GURPS (Generic Universal Role Playing System). They have a ton of source books out for it, though all you really need to get started is the basic rulebook. It's a very flexible system...it's what I primarily played back in my pen-n-paper RPG days.

Yup, I know GURPS, this is a different system. It is designed as a completely online rules set. It will be marketed over the internet, with a free core rules and a fantasy world being available, and then the customer purchases into various expansions. Initial marketing is as a pen- and-paper system, but the end result will be as a equivelent online system.

My main job is world creation, so there is at least some attempt to make the world believable, I get to use my background in biology and anthropology. I also have had alot of input into the combat, weapons, and armor systems to bring them more online with real-world historical examples.

Lamont

OP
F

fist of fury

So for the pen and paper RPG'ers here what are your favorite top 5 games?

Mine would be
Ars Magica
D&D
Call of Cthulhu
Hero
Delta Green

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, I'll won't plug my product so....

1) AD&D
2) Stormbringer
3) Runequest
4) Cyberpunk
5) Battletech (not exactly role-playing)

OP
K

kenposcum

Personally, I HATE online games. Evercrack is the worst.
I've played AD&D 1st, 2nd, and 3rd editions (I always grumbled about getting the new books and then switched over anyway), Car Wars, Battletech, Critter Commandos, Shadowrun, The Hunt Rifts/TMNT/Beyond the Supernatural...and I'd like to point out, the Palladium games are universal too, just like GURPS, which I never did get a chance to play.
Anyone ever play Twerps? Those little freaks were so cute!
:asian:

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

In my opinion, the new D20 system is universal as well. I have transported several D@D creatures over to Star Wars and vice versa(spl).

I am also converting my Gurps campaign, which is based on Stargate SG1 and meta humans, into D20 by combining elements of Star Wars and D@D. Now I'm waiting for the new D20 Modern handbook to put the icing on the cake

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by kenposcum

Personally, I HATE online games. Evercrack is the worst.
I've played AD&D 1st, 2nd, and 3rd editions (I always grumbled about getting the new books and then switched over anyway), Car Wars, Battletech, Critter Commandos, Shadowrun, The Hunt Rifts/TMNT/Beyond the Supernatural...and I'd like to point out, the Palladium games are universal too, just like GURPS, which I never did get a chance to play.
Anyone ever play Twerps? Those little freaks were so cute!
I'm not real big on online gaming either. I have a love/hate relationship with the new D&D, the CR sytem is completely screwed up IMO. And I know each DM can adjust his own game but D&D 3e still reminds of a diablo-esque power up with it's feats. And the dungeon punk art work is kind of annoying. GURPS is ok it never really caught my attention as much as the new HERO system. I've seen twerps but never had a chance to actually try it out. I've tried the Palladium system it just gave me a headache and RIFTS:eek:

The 14th Style

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Originally posted by fist of fury

So for the pen and paper RPG'ers here what are your favorite top 5 games?

Mine would be
Ars Magica
D&D
Call of Cthulhu
Hero
Delta Green

I would have to go with:

D&D (all versions)
Champions
Vampire The Masquerade
Twilight 2000
Starfleet Battles

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
courtesy of Mr. Lear, I now play Dungeons and Dragons. I do not, however, claim to be any good at it...yet.

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by nightingale8472

courtesy of Mr. Lear, I now play Dungeons and Dragons. I do not, however, claim to be any good at it...yet.

What do you think of it so far? What do you like or dislike about it?

OP
K

kenposcum

You mentioned you had started playing D&D but "I don't claim to be any good at it..." There's no such thing as being "good" at a roleplaying game. Unlike Evercrack or other fantasy-type games you may have palyed, the idea is not to amass large amounts of magic crap and gold, the idea is to accurately portray your hero (or villain) the way your character would react according to alignment, class, race, level, and personal history. Were you saying you were having problems "getting into character?" because that's legitimate. But if you don't think of D&D as a win/lose, "oh I suck at this" sort of thing, I think you will find it infinitely more enjoyable.
Just my thoughts:)

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by kenposcum

the idea is to accurately portray your hero (or villain) the way your character would react according to alignment, class, race, level, and personal history. Were you saying you were having problems "getting into character?" because that's legitimate. :asian:

the "getting into character" thing is what I'm learning how to do. I'm getting better at it. Also, learning all the rules and things, like you're harder to hit if you're under cover or something like that. If you know the rules well, its easier to know what to do.

OP
F

fist of fury

the "getting into character" thing is what I'm learning how to do. I'm getting better at it. Also, learning all the rules and things, like you're harder to hit if you're under cover or something like that. If you know the rules well, its easier to know what to do.

So what kind of character are you playing?

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
She's an elven rogue named Kattana Silverblade. Basically, my Everquest character transferred into DnD.

OP
F

fist of fury

That's a good idea transfering the character over. It's one you know and like already do it's easier to develop.

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

How can you not be any good at D&D. As long as you are having fun playing the game, that's all that matters. The rules and the roleplaying, being in character in other words, will come in time.

BTW, which D&D version do you play? Your character's name is cool

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
which version? hmm....billy was mumbling something about a "version 3" but I'm not completely sure. I know its two versions after plain old ADnD, which my friends and I dabbled in in high school.

thanks, I like her name too. It was originally supposed to be Katana with one "t" but EQ wouldn't accept it, and I've kind of gotten used to Kattana on EQ, so I just kept the same spelling as well. Silverblade just kinda seemed right for a rogue, ya know?

-N-

~~~~~~~~~~~

OP
W

WilliamTLear

Usually I play the latest Version of D&D put out by Wizards of the Coast... I also play Star Fleet Battles, Rifts, Palladium, Heroes Unlimited, Systems Failure, as well as others...

D&D has changed alot... I think it is alot easier to play since the advent of the d20 system... although I do miss the negative armor class adjustments and stuff that actually required some mathematical skill.

Hasta,
Billy "Another RPG Geek" Lear :flushed:

OP
F

fist of fury

Originally posted by WilliamTLear

Usually I play the latest Version of D&D put out by Wizards of the Coast... I also play Star Fleet Battles, Rifts, Palladium, Heroes Unlimited, Systems Failure, as well as others...

D&D has changed alot... I think it is alot easier to play since the advent of the d20 system... although I do miss the negative armor class adjustments and stuff that actually required some mathematical skill.

Hasta,
Billy "Another RPG Geek" Lear :flushed:

Is it me or do you think that 3e is a more geared toward power gaming? The screwed up CR system assumes you have at least one healer on a stick(cleric) and a good assortment of magic items. It's a decent system overall and made better with house rule tweaking.:D

OP
K

Kenpo Wolf

Originally posted by WilliamTLear

Usually I play the latest Version of D&D put out by Wizards of the Coast...

,,,D&D has changed alot... I think it is alot easier to play since the advent of the d20 system... although I do miss the negative armor class adjustments and stuff that actually required some mathematical skill.

I agree with you, Bill. Although I play D&D 3E as well, it does'nt seem like the same game as the previous systems due to the easier rules. This is not a bad thing because it is a lot easier to get more people into the game. And if the players want a break from the fantasy genre, it's very easy to switch over to the sci fi genre with Farscape, Star Wars and Judge Dredd without learning a whole new set of rules. This is one of the key reasons why I liked the Palladium and Gurps systems so much. I"m just waiting for some company to do a D20 Star Trek adaption.:)

Latest Discussions