Anyone look into the inside of folding knives on the construction?

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
OK guys, You all said I don't know how to use the knife for thrusting, tell me how do you thrust so you can use those knives with very little protection and still won't get shoved back into the hand. I really want to know how. You guys must know things I don't. How do you practice to verify?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
OK guys, You all said I don't know how to use the knife for thrusting, tell me how do you thrust so you can use those knives with very little protection and still won't get shoved back into the hand. I really want to know how. You guys must know things I don't. How do you practice to verify?
I already told you. By cutting and thrusting. On targets. Including people. People who were doing their level best to do the same to me. And by doing so properly. By knowing that grip strength is a continuum, not an on-off switch. By not leaning from YouBoob videos.

Here's something to consider. When there are literally thousands of people who can do something, and you can't, it's probably not them. It's you.

It's not rocket surgery.

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Stop and think. Then do it again. In subcultures known for violence, what do they carry. The traditional biker knife is a buck 110. It has nothing in the way of a guard, nothing to protect your fingers if they slide up the handle. Do you think they carry it because it is dangerous for the user? Or do they grip it hard and stab away? Even when slashing, do you think they delicately hold the knife, waiting for the last second to grip it tight? So that if their timing is off, the knife will go flying from their hand? Or do they squeeze the knife so hard it isn't coming out of their hand on contact with a hard object? For someone who keeps screaming about common sense, use some. Control of your weapon at all times is paramount. Your grip isn't strong enough? work on your grip.

How do you verify? Work with a partner. Work on a pell. Practice cutting and slashing on a piece of meat. When the rest of the world is concerned if the lock on their knife is strong enough to not collapse on their fingers when they stab, don't obsess over the thickness of the pivot point.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
So you guys only know how to put down, can't even answer a very simple question. DO YOU SQUEEZE TIGHT ALL THE WAY, OR YOU SQUEEZE TIGHTER AT THE LAST MOMENT?

I might be new on knife, BUT I HAVE BEEN DOING KICK BOXING AND HEAVY BAG WORK FOR DECADES. I HAVE BEEN PRACTICING STICK FIGHT FOR TWO YEARS. I always squeeze at the point of contact to gain A LOT MORE SPEED and be able to hold firm both the fist and the stick. Of cause it's through practice, experience and instinct, BUT, that should be emphasize from day one like my instructor.

IF YOU DISAGREE, TELL ME WHY KNIFE IS DIFFERENT FROM BARE KNUCKLE AND STICK FIGHT. I am sure NOBODY SQUEEZE THE STICK HARD ALL THE TIME. Yes, it's instinct through practice, but that's just a simple question.

Why are you people so against having an insurance. If I were you, I would think twice BEFORE use those knives without protection. All it takes is one accident, you likely NEVER recover from the injury. YOU WANT TO BE RIGHTEOUS OR BE SAFE. I guess I can answer this, YOU GUYS KNOW IT ALL, that I don't know anything.

I'll stay with knives with good protection no matter how good I can become in the future. It would be STUPID to say I am so good that I don't need the insurance.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So you guys only know how to put down, can't even answer a very simple question.
You were given very simple answers.
DO YOU SQUEEZE TIGHT ALL THE WAY, OR YOU SQUEEZE TIGHTER AT THE LAST MOMENT?
Apparently, you just don't understand them. See a pattern here?
I might be new on knife, BUT I HAVE BEEN DOING KICK BOXING AND HEAVY BAG WORK FOR DECADES. I HAVE BEEN PRACTICING STICK FIGHT FOR TWO YEARS.
If by "DOING" and "PRACTICING" (is shouting really necessary?) you mean actual training... no, you haven't. You've been watching TV and banging away on the bag with no idea if what you're doing is correct. From what you write, it mostly isn't. But when people who really must be considered subject matter experts tell you this, you just scream and yell and stomp your feet, and cry about how mean everyone is. For all I know, you hold your breath till you turn blue as well.
I always squeeze at the point of contact to gain A LOT MORE SPEED and be able to hold firm both the fist and the stick. Of cause it's through practice, experience and instinct, BUT, that should be emphasize from day one like my instructor.
YouBoob is not an instructor.
IF YOU DISAGREE, TELL ME WHY KNIFE IS DIFFERENT FROM BARE KNUCKLE AND STICK FIGHT.
Stop shouting. It's different because it's a knife. Not an empty hand. And not a stick. Much like a stick is not a katana.
Which is something else your posting history shows you do not understand.
I am sure NOBODY SQUEEZE THE STICK HARD ALL THE TIME.
Shouting it won't make it true.
Yes, it's instinct through practice, but that's just a simple question.
And simple answers were given.
Why are you people so against having an insurance.
I do have insurance. The knives I showed include quite adequate finger reliefs, and extensive testing has supported that statement.
If I were you, I would think twice BEFORE use those knives without protection.
That's ok. You can even think three times. People who use them already know that they're safe.
All it takes is one accident, you likely NEVER recover from the injury.
Maybe you'd be best served by never using any knife that doesn't have a "D" guard. And you should probably wear a mail gauntlet too. Possibly a full plate gauntlet, just in case you accidentally slam your hand into a concrete wall or something.
YOU WANT TO BE RIGHTEOUS OR BE SAFE.
Being "righteous" and being "safe" are two totally unrelated states, even when one is not shouting. I always try to be safe. Even when I do something that has inherent risks (cave diving, auto racing, sky diving, crossing the street...) I do what I can to minimize those risks.

I also try to be righteous, but I am human. And since mores differ wildly, how often I succeed is a very subjective judgement.
I guess I can answer this, YOU GUYS KNOW IT ALL, that I don't know anything.
Ahh, you're starting to turn blue.
I'll stay with knives with good protection no matter how good I can become in the future. It would be STUPID to say I am so good that I don't need the insurance.
Do you wear a belt and suspenders at the same time? And always keep both hands gripping your pants, just in case? Maybe a pair of auxiliary suspenders?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Meanwhile, I've always been taught to maintain a firm grip on any weapon. Exactly how firm may vary along the way, but if you're not maintaining a solid grip, you're going to find your weapon on the ground at some point...

And most modern tactical knives are designed with grips and jimping or a thumb rise or other elements that reinforce the grip for the intended uses -- even if they don't have some sort of obvious guard sticking out. I'm quite confident they work, having stabbed various objects including sizeable logs with various designs.

But, you know, it seems to me that we've moved out from knife construction into knife use. Maybe a new thread is in order?

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Still can't answer a simple question. I learn this from my TKD instructor, Remember I did have a few years of formal training.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Meanwhile, I've always been taught to maintain a firm grip on any weapon. Exactly how firm may vary along the way, but if you're not maintaining a solid grip, you're going to find your weapon on the ground at some point...

And most modern tactical knives are designed with grips and jimping or a thumb rise or other elements that reinforce the grip for the intended uses -- even if they don't have some sort of obvious guard sticking out. I'm quite confident they work, having stabbed various objects including sizeable logs with various designs.

But, you know, it seems to me that we've moved out from knife construction into knife use. Maybe a new thread is in order?
Yes, maintaining a grip is one thing, you don't squeeze the grip. You squeeze only at the point of contact, that should be basic and universal be it fist, stick or knife.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
See my post about practicing on Meat and Jeans.
If you want one can use Styrofoam (Solid) inside a Cardboard box.
One can try different grips to see what works and doesn't work.

You could also spend the hours posting here ( which is fine ) and drive to a real instructor.
I drove over an hour for one of my instructors for private lessons.
In college I drove over an hour for classes as well.

Or are you going to ignore my comments or maybe make an off hand comment and dismay my suggestions, and continue complain we people do not engage you.

If you ask a question and it is answered, one could acknowledge it. One could try the suggestions. One could ask for further details.
Not just complain, and argue , and ignore and then wonder why people do not want to engage. And when they against their won better judgement do re-engage get dismissed and or YELLED at.

One's experiences are many times a reflection of what they present to the world.
If you are dismissive and ignoring and not willing to try to listen to people who might know more, and the big one, Actually GO FIND A REAL INSTRUCTOR even if it means scheduling a weekend away.

So, Good Luck and I really do wish you the best.
I just hope you understand I may not be the most informative nor contributing to your discussions . :)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Still can't answer a simple question. I learn this from my TKD instructor, Remember I did have a few years of formal training.
You cannot answer questions posed to you.

I asked what was the actual force or use case or what have you other than a small thickness of one piece.

Why should anyone play along with your thread when you don't respond to them.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yes, maintaining a grip is one thing, you don't squeeze the grip. You squeeze only at the point of contact, that should be basic and universal be it fist, stick or knife.
This dagger is better. You don't have to worry about "squeeze".

dagger.jpg

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Simple answers given. Simple answers not understood. A couple years spread over multiple systems isn't anything.
And yet, acknowledged experts and practitioners of knife arts tell you different, and you persist in believing that they're all wrong. Because some guy on YouBoob said so.

This dagger is better. You don't have to worry about "squeeze".
Illegal in many areas, and rather difficult to carry. It'll spoil the lines of your Armani.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Simple answers given. Simple answers not understood. A couple years spread over multiple systems isn't anything.

And yet, acknowledged experts and practitioners of knife arts tell you different, and you persist in believing that they're all wrong. Because some guy on YouBoob said so.

Illegal in many areas, and rather difficult to carry. It'll spoil the lines of your Armani.
So just answer a very simple question, you don't agree with me to squeeze only at the last moment, so you mean you squeeze all the way from start of the movement to the end?

Just a simple question, if you just comprehend what my simple question and get over you need to put down and insult.

Simple question, you should at least have enough INTELLIGENCE to answer.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
So just answer a very simple question, you don't agree with me to squeeze only at the last moment, so you mean you squeeze all the way from start of the movement to the end?
I will answer it. Again. And I suspect you won't understand the answer. Again.
"Squeeze" is a meaningless word, in this context. If you don't squeeze the grip, you will drop the knife. You will never be able to pick up the knife in the first place.
Grip strength is a continuum. It's not binary. It's not either/or. It's not an On/Off switch. I've said all this multiple times, but you fail to understand it.
If you grip is loose enough that your hand can slide up the blade, then you're not doing it right. I've said this multiple times. Many others, with decades of ACTUAL training and experience in knife arts have said this multiple times. But you don't get it. So this will be the last time I say it. There is no point in discussing it further unless you somehow, after allllllll these repetitions, understand what you're being told.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What if when you stab your dagger at your opponent's chest, before your dagger can touch on his chest, he strikes/kicks on your elbow/wrist joint that hold the dagger?
Why, you will probably drop your knife, of course, if you're holding it the way @Alan0354 seems to be advocating.

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Why, you will probably drop your knife, of course, if you're holding it the way @Alan0354 seems to be advocating.
That's my point. Dagger is the extension of your arm. You just can't afford to have a loose grip on it because you don't know when an attack can cause you to drop your dagger.

Last edited:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's my point. Dagger is the extension of your arm. You just can't afford to have a loose grip on it because you don't know when an attack can cause you to drop your dagger.
Right. You're late to the party, but you're saying the same thing virtually every poster has said.

OP
A

Alan0354

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I will answer it. Again. And I suspect you won't understand the answer. Again.
"Squeeze" is a meaningless word, in this context. If you don't squeeze the grip, you will drop the knife. You will never be able to pick up the knife in the first place.
Grip strength is a continuum. It's not binary. It's not either/or. It's not an On/Off switch. I've said all this multiple times, but you fail to understand it.
If you grip is loose enough that your hand can slide up the blade, then you're not doing it right. I've said this multiple times. Many others, with decades of ACTUAL training and experience in knife arts have said this multiple times. But you don't get it. So this will be the last time I say it. There is no point in discussing it further unless you somehow, after allllllll these repetitions, understand what you're being told.
I don't think you have the intelligence to get what I said. Of cause common sense will tell you that you don't hold the knife so loose it will drop!!! You hold it tight enough to swing, then tighten further when contact. This is COMMON SENSE. How can you actually think anyone will hold the knife so loose that it will drop out? You think other people are literal like you?

Then you take the concept to relax when you swing, then tighten up when contact. Using the principle and practice and adjust.

My TKD instructor said very clearly we relax when we punch, then tighten as we contact from DAY ONE, then we practice base on that concept and work out the detail.

I guess this is just too much for you to comprehend. That you take everything literal and other people are like you!!!

Hell, when I practice stick, I intentionally do it in tight space that I accidentally hit things on the way to get use to "accidents" and still hold onto the stick even I am relax to swing. It takes practice over time to know how to how relax and squeeze. BUT THE CONCEPT IS THERE. Is this too much for you to comprehend?

So for the last time, do you squeeze tight from the start of the movement or you are more relax until the point of contact?

Last edited:

Latest Discussions