Anyone know what monkey in the middle means in karate?

Kartate_student7

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok the my 2 instructors said they where going to save something called black belt monkey in the middle for my brown belt test, does anyone know what it is?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry, I've never heard of it, it'll be their 'joke' name for something I think. It sounds as if it's sparring with multiple opponents something that's not unusual in gradings.

thanson02

Blue Belt
Reaction score
We do something called "bull in the ring" where one person stands in the middle of a circle with their eyes closed and people randomly attack them (making a sound to indicate the attack is starting). It is a reaction drill to see how fast people can adapt to surprise attacks. Maybe it is similar?

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've done a drill by that name, similar to what thanson describes. The person who's the "monkey" stands in the middle of a circle and people take turns grabbing/holding them in different ways (especially ways that they haven't studied yet) and the "monkey" has to try to figure out how to deal with it. When I've done it, though, it wasn't so much about speed as about trying to adapt the techniques you know to different scenarios. So similar, but a little different.

I think you should ask your teachers, though, or maybe a black belt at your school who's been through that test before. Anybody on here is just guessing; your teachers will know for sure.

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
We've used the term in our school as well for one of the drills that we do. One person stands in the middle of the circle and defends from attacks. Could be done in order as you go from person to person in a clockwise fashion or sometimes it is random, not knowing who is going to attack next.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
We've used the term in our school as well for one of the drills that we do. One person stands in the middle of the circle and defends from attacks. Could be done in order as you go from person to person in a clockwise fashion or sometimes it is random, not knowing who is going to attack next.
We have that in my school as well, I call it the vicious circle.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Monkey in the middle as I know it is a keep away game. One person in a circle others on the outside of the circle throw or kick a ball around to keep it away from the Monkey in the middle. Helps in the development of timing, range, quickness, agility, footwork, hand eye/foot eye coordination.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's
Lol I have a feeling my brown belt test is going to suck!

I'm sure you will be fine! Your instructors wouldn't put you in for it unless they felt you were ready to test.

The drill isn't a particularly 'karate' one, it seems to be one that is used by any style, so I imagine martial artists all over are going through it! The point is that it will test you and you will get through it with your training so don't think about it so much it puts you off. Dare I say you may even enjoy it even if it's in hindsight. :)

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
In our school, the monkey in the middle is the guy defending against multiple attackers.

Latest Discussions