Anyone got a complete list of all styles Bruce Lee trained?

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve had enough of all this polarization, left vs. right. Can’t we just compromise and all drive down the middle of the road? :D

They do in many parts of Europe. Cyprus, Italy, Malta are all places where driving down the middle of the road is common, traffic lights are advisory, roundabouts are every man for themselves ( usually best to close your eyes) and pedestrian crossings are to see how many people you can run down. However nowhere in the UK and Europe is there any law that says you can't cross the road anywhere you want, crossing the road where you want isn't a 'criminal' act unlike the US.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They do in many parts of Europe. Cyprus, Italy, Malta are all places where driving down the middle of the road is common, traffic lights are advisory, roundabouts are every man for themselves ( usually best to close your eyes) and pedestrian crossings are to see how many people you can run down. However nowhere in the UK and Europe is there any law that says you can't cross the road anywhere you want, crossing the road where you want isn't a 'criminal' act unlike the US.
In India, it's not uncommon to see the Left and Right working directly against each other...in the same lane, at the same time. Bleedin' chaos in New Delhi.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I was in Peru for a few weeks around 1990. Other than downtown Lima, I don’t remember seeing many traffic lights or stop signs. The few lights and stop signs were completely ignored, except for beeping the horn as they went through them.

Really interesting place. It hit me that I wasn’t in Kansas anymore when we went through customs. My stepfather who was born and raised there handed the agent a USD $20 bill. The guy looked at him, put it in his pocket and motioned to go through without opening our bag, no questions asked. Right out in the open. People behind us started opening up their wallets once they saw us do it.

That’s how everything worked. I hear they’ve cracked down on it a bit, meaning shake their hands with the bills rather than do it outright :)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In India, it's not uncommon to see the Left and Right working directly against each other...in the same lane, at the same time. Bleedin' chaos in New Delhi.

Try Kathmandu and then you won't be surprised to find out that Gurkhas are horrendous behind wheel.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Well, since we are being nitpicky, crossing the street illegally in the USA is not criminal, either. While jaywalking is illegal, it is not strictly speaking criminal. I mean, since we are being tickytack about things.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, since we are being nitpicky, crossing the street illegally in the USA is not criminal, either. While jaywalking is illegal, it is not strictly speaking criminal. I mean, since we are being tickytack about things.

I think that's classified as a "petty offense" isn't it? Which is less serious than a misdemeanor.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think that's classified as a "petty offense" isn't it? Which is less serious than a misdemeanor.
I don't know for sure. I only know that it's like a parking violation. It's a kind of civil offense. Disclaimer, I didn't personally review the jaywalking laws in every state, so there may be an exception somewhere. Which is actually another nitpicky point. It's very hard to generalize things in the USA. People in the UK sometimes forget that they have the equivalent of like four very small states. We have 50, most individual states bigger than the entire UK. So, saying things are one thing or the other in the USA tends to be futile. Even if it's illegal federally, it can be legal locally, odd as that may sound.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
From Bruce Lee to jaywalking, love it!

... I wonder if Bruce Lee jaywalked.....

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know for sure. I only know that it's like a parking violation. It's a kind of civil offense. Disclaimer, I didn't personally review the jaywalking laws in every state, so there may be an exception somewhere. Which is actually another nitpicky point. It's very hard to generalize things in the USA. People in the UK sometimes forget that they have the equivalent of like four very small states. We have 50, most individual states bigger than the entire UK. So, saying things are one thing or the other in the USA tends to be futile. Even if it's illegal federally, it can be legal locally, odd as that may sound.

Four states? Well no. There's England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, Cornwall, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, the Shetland Isles, the Western Isles and the Scilly Isles. The Isle of Man has the oldest continuous democratic parliament, the Tynwald, in the world, being over a thousand years old.

Oh we don't forget how big the US is, there's always someone telling us. :rolleyes:
The fact that crossing the road anywhere you want is illegal in any part of the USA odd to the rest of the world, just why would you?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The fact that crossing the road anywhere you want is illegal in any part of the USA odd to the rest of the world, just why would you?
Why would you cross at odd places, or why would you make a law to stop it?

Actually, one sort of answers the other. The answer to the first is because Americans tend to be direct about doing what we think is expedient in some areas, so many of us (certainly not all) will cross anywhere we don't think we'll get in trouble for it. So the answer to the second is probably because so many people would cross at odd locations that it interferes with traffic in congested areas (and it's a bit safer for the pedestrian if the cars know where to aim for...expect them).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Even if it's illegal federally, it can be legal locally, odd as that may sound.

Can it? I'm under the impression that it can't. As an example, it's pretty well known that marijuana is legal in several states. But it's illegal at the federal level. Which means that the DEA could come in any time they choose to and arrest everybody.
It's one reason why pot shops have a difficult time finding banks to work with. The feds could classify it as money laundering, since the business is illegal at the federal level.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Can it? I'm under the impression that it can't. As an example, it's pretty well known that marijuana is legal in several states. But it's illegal at the federal level. Which means that the DEA could come in any time they choose to and arrest everybody.
It's one reason why pot shops have a difficult time finding banks to work with. The feds could classify it as money laundering, since the business is illegal at the federal level.
You're actually saying the same thing as him. Marijuana is legal at the local level (in a lot of places) but illegal at a federal level. So whether or not you can get arrested for it depends on who's trying to do the arresting.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Exactly. Illegal federally and yet stores operate and taxes are still collected. It's that whole laboratory of democracy... Thing.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
Four states? Well no. There's England, Scotland, Northern Ireland, Wales, Cornwall, Channel Islands, Isle of Man, the Shetland Isles, the Western Isles and the Scilly Isles. The Isle of Man has the oldest continuous democratic parliament, the Tynwald, in the world, being over a thousand years old.

Oh we don't forget how big the US is, there's always someone telling us. :rolleyes:
Big isnt intended to be a better or worse thing. It is just simply a fact. If you consider the diversity you have in the relatively small area of UK and Europe (distinguishing because in a few weeks brexit) the usa is bigger and at least as diverse. That's objective fact.

Regarding being considered odd, I'm not overly concerned. But congratulations to you. Being spokesperson for the world is a heavy burden, but I'm sure you are up to the task. ;)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're actually saying the same thing as him. Marijuana is legal at the local level (in a lot of places) but illegal at a federal level. So whether or not you can get arrested for it depends on who's trying to do the arresting.

Exactly. Illegal federally and yet stores operate and taxes are still collected. It's that whole laboratory of democracy... Thing.

Maybe it's just semantics. Steve is saying it's legal at the local level. I tend to say it's "legal". The difference (maybe only in my own mind) is that the quotes indicate that it's not really legal. The feds have simply chosen to ignore the crime. For now.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Maybe it's just semantics. Steve is saying it's legal at the local level. I tend to say it's "legal". The difference (maybe only in my own mind) is that the quotes indicate that it's not really legal. The feds have simply chosen to ignore the crime. For now.
Maybe I’m way off, just going off the top of my head...

Something can be legal locally but illegal federally. Federal law supersedes local law, so technically its illegal regardless of what the local laws state. I think the feds have every right to come in and crack down whenever they choose. Then I think the law has to be contested/tried in federal court.

Banks are afraid for good reason. They can have every penny taken and **** down without any notice. Too risky.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
I think what you're pointing too is exactly what we are pointing to. The cognitive dissonance comes directly from the conflict between the reality of legal weed locally and the reality of it being technically illegal everywhere.

I recognize the conflict but accept it for what it is. As I said, states are issuing licenses to grow, distribute, and sell pot. They collext taxes. Law abiding citizens buy it and take it. It is a great example of what I was referring to.

Latest Discussions