Anybody ever heard of shaolin-do???

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Yeah. That plus the fact that there's really no such thing as a "Traditional kung fu uniform". The thing that people wear is just traditonal Chinese clothes...common dress up some time in the fifties (and you can still see it on old men in HK). The Chinese wushu teams actually train in tracksuits.

And is there no such thing as "Authentic Shaolin Monks." Because of traditional apsects.

But when MA was becoming big in the US in the seventies, people expected a cool costume, so if you were teaching kung fu, you either used a gi, or came up with the "kung fu uniform" that they use now.

Or worked out with old clothes anyway.

The uniform bit never bothered me much. I've got a set of monk robes I bought at the Wushu Guan at Shaolin.
Sure it has botherd or influenced you, why else would someone buy monk's robes?

Here is a interesting link on uniforms:

http://www.spiritualminds.com/articles.asp?articleid=2021

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
me said:
The uniform bit never bothered me much. I've got a set of monk robes I bought at the Wushu Guan at Shaolin.

Sure it has botherd or influenced you, why else would someone buy monk's robes?
Ummm.... maybe because I was there & wanted them??? :rolleyes:

Kinda like when people go to NYC or LA or San Fran or London or Rome or where ever the hell they decide to visit & buy something that says "I was here"?? Kinda like I'll buy another Cancun t-shirt in a couple of weeks to add to my collection... :whip:

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
clfsean said:
Ummm.... maybe because I was there & wanted them??? :rolleyes:

Kinda like when people go to NYC or LA or San Fran or London or Rome or where ever the hell they decide to visit & buy something that says "I was here"?? Kinda like I'll buy another Cancun t-shirt in a couple of weeks to add to my collection... :whip:

Nah, I mean being bothered by owning them. Perhaps a souvenir. Perhaps they look cool.

per-

But when MA was becoming big in the US in the seventies, people expected a cool costume, so if you were teaching kung fu, you either used a gi, or came up with the "kung fu uniform" that they use now.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ok guys, lets try to stay on topic here, my original question was about videos we could view, evidentally no one has any?

7sm

I

InvisibleFist

No techniques on that site, unfortunately. Just shots of the manual.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
InvisibleFist said:
No techniques on that site, unfortunately. Just shots of the manual.
But there should be a short clip of Sin The doing something I think on one of the clips...

I

InvisibleFist

Yeah, not a whole lot there...some pointy finger stuff, and a few kicks.

I

InvisibleFist

AH!

Here we go:

http://www.shao-lin.com/Category.cfm?CategoryID=66

Honestly, CLFsean, the stuff I'm seeing here is obviously Chinese. Howmany Japanese karate ryu use Daos, Jims, and fans? And there's a lot of stuff I regonize...tiger claws, dropped twisted stances, and that floor kick from butterfly palm. Sure looks like CMA to me.

Eldritch Knight

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I'll let him answer for himself, but I think what CLFSean was referring to was the philosophy of motion and angular nature of many SLD movements which are more indicative of Japanese hard styles than other TCMA.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Eldritch Knight said:
I'll let him answer for himself, but I think what CLFSean was referring to was the philosophy of motion and angular nature of many SLD movements which are more indicative of Japanese hard styles than other TCMA.
Good start EK & well put.

If you'll notice not what they do (totally different thread there), but how they do... you'll see what I'm talking about. Watch how they move... watch the body... more importantly on the clips where you can see them, watch their feet. There's no CMA connectivity or continuity. It's broken & choppy at best.

In CLF or Praying Mantis, I'm constantly changing rythyms. However, what doesn't happen is I don't separate my body into pieces to try to do things, I don't disconnect my body core from my arms & legs & even in broken rythym, I'm always (or at least trying my hardest) connected.

J

j_m

I cannot seem ot view or download any of these clips. Would anyone have any they could post elsewhere for viewing or possibly e-mail me a clip or two. I'd like to see what all the hub-bub is about :supcool:

thanks,

jm

I

InvisibleFist

clfsean said:
Good start EK & well put.

If you'll notice not what they do (totally different thread there), but how they do... you'll see what I'm talking about. Watch how they move... watch the body... more importantly on the clips where you can see them, watch their feet. There's no CMA connectivity or continuity. It's broken & choppy at best.

In CLF or Praying Mantis, I'm constantly changing rythyms. However, what doesn't happen is I don't separate my body into pieces to try to do things, I don't disconnect my body core from my arms & legs & even in broken rythym, I'm always (or at least trying my hardest) connected.
So would you say that it's CMA forms, but with Okinawan movement ideas?
I can see what you mean about the choppiness. I would tend to chalk that up to lack of practice in the forms. The guys on this site are much better than the one we critiqued last time, but still, they don't seem to have achieved the kind of effortless action that you see from real kung-fu players. That I would ascribe to too many forms.

Incidentally, thats one of the things I found confusing about CLF. Hung Gar is played a lot like Karate, really. Each movement has a beginning and an end. (Kiu sau, punch). In CLF, every movement is flowing into another one. It makes it damn near impossible to take notes.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
InvisibleFist said:
So would you say that it's CMA forms, but with Okinawan movement ideas?
Nah... like I said that's a different thread. :D There a couple of Chinese systems/styles contained in the curriculum, but lots of it I question.

InvisibleFist said:
I can see what you mean about the choppiness. I would tend to chalk that up to lack of practice in the forms. The guys on this site are much better than the one we critiqued last time, but still, they don't seem to have achieved the kind of effortless action that you see from real kung-fu players. That I would ascribe to too many forms.
Ummm... that's not lack of practice. Those people in the videos you saw have generally 3 or more years of training in. That's how they train...

InvisibleFist said:
Incidentally, thats one of the things I found confusing about CLF. Hung Gar is played a lot like Karate, really. Each movement has a beginning and an end. (Kiu sau, punch). In CLF, every movement is flowing into another one. It makes it damn near impossible to take notes.
True, but Hung Ga contains & uses the continual flow & connection with the body. Sure there are stops like say after your description of kiu sau ping choy. But that's not to say you can or will or do in set practice & drilling. That's just can option. I've seen Hung Ga played a couple of different ways & those base elements I was talking about were always played & always performed because that's how they trained as a CMA.

Who do you train with? Bucksam Kong? Vernon Reita?

Latest Discussions