Any Van Halen Fan Here

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey any Van Halen fan here!!!

I love rock music and I'm 40 so you can see how 1984 album got me with David Lee Roth who practiced MA too, remebre those spining flying kicks??

For my way of thinking there was two Van Halens and only two, one with David Lee Roth and the other with Sammy Haggar, I remeber when D.L.Roth leave the band I felt inconsolable, however once Sammy started to show with the band really like it, it was diferent but very nice IMHO.

I remeber one night in the billiards, there were a bunch of kids and the only thing they put in the juke box was Metallica, afther several songs of this band I steped by the Juke box and put two songs, the firsth was Shook me all night lone by AC/DC and the boys asked me: Hey sir what is that????!!!??? AC/DC kids, AC/DC???... Wow awesome sir!! I said: Yes remeber these guys are YOUR's Fathers and before Bon Jovi there were Van Halen!!!

Wow AC/DC, Van Halen, IRON MAIDEN, those were the good old days hehehehe.

Manny

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Aye, I belong in the Van Halen camp but only for the first couple of albums (tho' Roth's version of Tobacco Road has one of my favourite intro's of all time :D).

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Sammy was much better back in the 'old days', I think. "Bad Motorscooter", "Young Girl Blues" and "Space Station No#5" are classics.

Twin Fist

Grandmaster
Reaction score
you are STONED Terry. DLR "defined" the Van Halen sound.

Sorry, you cant tell me you would rather be and a party and hear "Right Now" over "you really got me now" or "unchained"

Dont get me wrong, iliked a LOT of the Van Hagar songs, in particular "finish what ya started" and "poundcake" but DLR rocked.

Hagar (who rocked it as a solo artist) mellowed them out too much for me

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
you are STONED Terry. DLR "defined" the Van Halen sound.

Sorry, you cant tell me you would rather be and a party and hear "Right Now" over "you really got me now" or "unchained"

Dont get me wrong, iliked a LOT of the Van Hagar songs, in particular "finish what ya started" and "poundcake" but DLR rocked.

Hagar (who rocked it as a solo artist) mellowed them out too much for me

Yes old Van Halen is great but I enjoy them just as much with the red rocker. But you are so true that DLR was a fantastic front man.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

well, I've never been big on the Van Halen band wagon, but I do love AC/DC and Iron Maiden. Not to derail the thread, but I just found out last night that Iron Maiden is playing a concert TONIGHT in my area. I wish I had about a week's notice, I would have tried to get tickets and plan to see it. I just can't see it happening at this point. I've been stewing over it all day long.
icon9.gif

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
I like some of their songs, but not a really huge fan. I never really "got" Eddie's guitar work, though I can respect the skills. FWIW, I did buy Van Halen III because I was a big Extreme fan. Yes, I'm that one guy who bought it. :rofl:

Jai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Van Halen, one group I never did get to see :( I'd take either Sammy or DLR.

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw all the bands, Van Hagar, the DLR band with Steve Vai and Billy Sheehan, and Van Halen. Actually, I just saw the Dave and Eddie show about two weeks ago or something in Atlantic City. Dave is a Vegas showman, and everyone has a good time. Sammy is a better musician, a better singer, and he's a million times better guitarist (Yeah, Dave plays the beginning of 'Ice cream Man'). For musicians the DLR band so blew the Van Halens off the stage it was ridiculous. For girl watching and pounding your fist in the air, Van Halen with Dave was the one to see. Dave is like a cartoon character, and Sammy is a serious musician. Both have their strong points. Definitely see them on the current tour if you can though, the show is fun and the audience is VERY good looking :D

Kreth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I remeber one night in the billiards, there were a bunch of kids and the only thing they put in the juke box was Metallica

You do realize that Metallica's first album was out within 5 years of Van Halen's, and within 3 of Iron Maiden's debut, right?

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
You do realize that Metallica's first album was out within 5 years of Van Halen's, and within 3 of Iron Maiden's debut, right?

No I don't. My teen years where with bands like AC/DC, Iron Maiden,Van Halen,Journey (one of the bests bands), Def Leppard,Motley Crue,Judas Priest,Scorpions (another good one)etc,etc.

I don't like Metalica at all, a couple of songs yes but in general don't like it.

Three years back I saw TOTO in concert here in my city, they were partying with it's 25 DOB. In my city in the gulf of Mexico is very hard for a Rock band to come down, in Mexico City the stones come by last year, survivor and Rod Stewart.

Manny

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yea Manny those are some good groups, remember ZZ Top, REO Speedwagon, Loverboy, Boston.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I agree, some good bands noted there, Manny.

Don't put Metallica aside completely tho'. I loathed them for years as the start of what I derisorily call "Shouty-Stampy" metal and also as Black Sabbath riff copyists. But they served their dues and gradually I have come to accept them. The turning point was when I saw them play live with an orchestra a la Deep Purple (Concerto For Group and Orchestra). It was very good and washed away much of my prejudice against them.

Kempojujutsu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been a big Van Halen fan all of my life. Bought VH I and AC/DC Black in Black as my first 8 tracks. Got to see Van Halen on there last tour before spliting up. I prefer them with DLR much harder sound then Sammy.

Latest Discussions