Any suggestions for Iron Palm / Iron Bone training?

jkd friend

Green Belt
Reaction score
In a shaolin book I read about secret technics they said that they go all out and break their hands to become like iron and countiuesously break their palms to become briddle even to pain.---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------jkd friend----------------------------------

Shrewsbury

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I wouldn't worry about the eye sight, but rather what you are doing to your nerve endings, and blood flow.

This training, in my opinion, is not such a good idea, and your time could be spent on much better things that could have long lasting and positive effects, rather than immediate effects that seem to benefit you, but in the long run are really not needed.

again, no offense intended, just my experience, and yes I have trained in iron palm and iron shirt.

tyciol

White Belt
Reaction score
The idea of rolling a metal bar down the shins is interesting. My main worry would be to not desensitize the nerves, it is important to feel pain when hurt, otherwise one day the shin bone snaps and you never fight again:)

In terms of doing this, doing deadlifts where you pull against your shin should have an effect like this, if you use those weird roller bars, right? I like the sound of that!

It is like a foam roller, maybe wrap that around a barbell.

Ch'iP'ingTaoSifu

White Belt
Reaction score
Years ago I started trying to train in Iron Palm according to the methods that my teacher, Yilisifu, handed down to us. Unfortunately, however, I didn't have the medicine to use before and after training.

So, I figured (rather naively) that I could just do the hand conditioning without the medicine - or the qigong for that matter.

I began using a sandbag, and started doing the palm strikes dictated by the course of instruction. Within 3 days, having not done qigong nor used the medicine, I began having explosive, nearly uncontrollable bowel movements! Literally as soon as I started doing the qigong, the diarrhea abated...

When I spoke to one of my seniors about it, I was chastised and told that, had I remembered, that particular eventuality was exactly described as a side effect of incorrect training.

Because of a lack of access to the herbs necessary to make the medicine, I have thusfar never returned to Iron Palm practice. However, the lesson I learned remains with me...

Do what you are told. Somebody before you didn't, and now they know what not to do. Questioning things is good - it develops insight and understanding. However, questioning is not necessarily disobeying...

Gambarimasu.
:asian:

I did not want to insinuate that you were calling anyone a liar...far from it...I thought you might be interested in looking at the recipe.

I agree with you that most off the shelf recipes are really designed to act as temporary analgesics to relieve overworked or injured joints and muscles...not the type of jow one needs to employ when doing real iron palm training.

The biggest risk of injury is not from physical injury, but injury to the energy system...six meridians either start or stop in the hand. That's half of the paired acupuncture meridians...Master Chen stated that one would risk stagnation of qi if one did iron palm without the jow...

I once questioned the wisdom of some of the things that were handed down and I cut myself rather badly as a result...I now do things as they were transmitted...I use the jow before and after and also do some qigong after iron-palm training...does it make a difference??? I'm not willing to test it to find out (that is, I'm not willing to see what ill effects might occur if I did not use the jow).

Regards
:asian:
chufeng

I'm extremely interested in acquiring the herbal formula mentioned. I have been training under a Chinese doctor, and have more than twenty years of Kung Fu experience. I would also be willing to trade a sprain or Iron Palm formula in exchange.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What happen to old days of:

Kicking Tires
Kicking a Sand Bag(Heavy bag)
Kicking a Tree

The idea of rolling a metal bar down the shins is interesting. My main worry would be to not desensitize the nerves, it is important to feel pain when hurt, otherwise one day the shin bone snaps and you never fight again:)

In terms of doing this, doing deadlifts where you pull against your shin should have an effect like this, if you use those weird roller bars, right? I like the sound of that!

It is like a foam roller, maybe wrap that around a barbell.

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
One thing to be cautious of is when you use dit da jow. To not rub your fingers in your eyes for a couple of days. If you have to touch your eyes please use a kleenex. Because even after you scrub your hands and clean them a little of dit da jow is still on your hands.

Not a good idea to drink or place dit da jow in your eyes...bad bad idea...

Great post everyone. I'm finding this stuff most informative. I have a question about fingertip training and vision....
I have heard and believe that fingertip training will affect vision, but in what way? What kind of training (like will fingertip pushups do it?)? I've also heard tell that there are herbs that can counteract this. Would these herbs simply be dit da jow or is there another solution used? I'm really interested in developing an iron palm and would like to go the whole way (meaning fingertips as well).
In conclusion, I like martial arts. Specially Tai Chi.

CMyers0323

Blue Belt
Reaction score
While not necessarily the Slapping water method you mentioned. I have this in relation to a "water palm". It's a Snake piercing palm exercise.

Also the Slapping water method has a story

Attachments

• Screenshot_20221015_151008.jpg
    Screenshot_20221015_151008.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 47

Latest Discussions