Selective Iron Palm training.

B

bMunky

Well, see, I train in no striking arts, I heard theres some striking in aikido, but for now I'm just in jujitsu, and next semester aikido and yang tai chi chuan (my sensei only teaches the forms for chi/health development so no weapons or push hands). I have a bad hand, or I should say medacarpel bone, it's in my right hand and it's the pinky bone, it's bowed pretty bad from a boxers break. So punches can be scary since it can break easily that way and anythign that makes me make a fist causes pains after long term use. But I'm all good on the palm, I wouldnt really trust a knife hand, kinda hurts. I wanted to train my flat palm, palm heel and elbows so I can throw a strong accurate palm or flat palm slap, just keep my striking simple ya know? Just for them self defense situations where I'll have to let a strong strike go. So what can the long term damage be training your palm heel, flat palm and elbows? I hear it's the safest to train just your palm but dnt know much about the elbow, just wanted to hear from some experts in iron training.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
bMunky said:
Well, see, I train in no striking arts, I heard theres some striking in aikido, but for now I'm just in jujitsu, and next semester aikido and yang tai chi chuan (my sensei only teaches the forms for chi/health development so no weapons or push hands). I have a bad hand, or I should say medacarpel bone, it's in my right hand and it's the pinky bone, it's bowed pretty bad from a boxers break. So punches can be scary since it can break easily that way and anythign that makes me make a fist causes pains after long term use. But I'm all good on the palm, I wouldnt really trust a knife hand, kinda hurts. I wanted to train my flat palm, palm heel and elbows so I can throw a strong accurate palm or flat palm slap, just keep my striking simple ya know? Just for them self defense situations where I'll have to let a strong strike go. So what can the long term damage be training your palm heel, flat palm and elbows? I hear it's the safest to train just your palm but dnt know much about the elbow, just wanted to hear from some experts in iron training.

I'm not an expert on iron palm, but if this is something that you're interested in, it would be a good idea to do some research and learn from a qualified instructor. They will be able to show you the proper conditioning, etc. to do this type of training.

Mike

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Long term effects all depend on how you train. A moderate and safe approach will leave you with the leaset effects. Keeping injury free and advancing slowly will be safe.

I agree with Mike, seek out a qualified instructor however.

7sm

OP
B

bMunky

7starmantis said:
Long term effects all depend on how you train. A moderate and safe approach will leave you with the leaset effects. Keeping injury free and advancing slowly will be safe.

I agree with Mike, seek out a qualified instructor however.

7sm

Well, I cant afford an instructor and it's just iron training, I see it as your an idiot if you cant do it right, TONS of athletes from tennis, volleyball, basketball train in iron palm from books, I can see training in knife hand or spear hand can easily be doen wrong, but I'm just gonna train my flat palm and palm heel and I'm talking to this guy over the internet and he's giving me some tips on training my elbows.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
This seems like a bad idea. There's nothing 'magic' about the iron palm. Are you sure you can't afford regular training of some sort?

OP
B

bMunky

arnisador said:
This seems like a bad idea. There's nothing 'magic' about the iron palm. Are you sure you can't afford regular training of some sort?

I just found out that the tae kwon do class teaches breaking and hand conditioning. So I'll be getting help there, I wouldnt doubt they use the makiwara board but I'mma go the iron palm method so I wont have destroyed ugly hands. Well, I know thers nothing magic about iron palm, but breaking through bricks seems like my kinda thing and being able to do that will give me the skill to throw a strong solid palm when needed.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bMunky said:
but breaking through bricks seems like my kinda thing and being able to do that will give me the skill to throw a strong solid palm when needed.

If you're attacked by a stationary object, yes.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
bMunky said:
Well, I cant afford an instructor and it's just iron training, I see it as your an idiot if you cant do it right, TONS of athletes from tennis, volleyball, basketball train in iron palm from books, I can see training in knife hand or spear hand can easily be doen wrong, but I'm just gonna train my flat palm and palm heel and I'm talking to this guy over the internet and he's giving me some tips on training my elbows.

Its not going to matter what part you're training in, if you're unfamiliar with what you're doing, the chance of injury is greater.

I can pick up a cook book and make something but that is not going to turn me in to a gourmet chef!

Mike

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
bMunky said:
Thats not the case. Its not "just iron training", there are many ways to seriously injure yourself and affect the rest of your life. I dont know of any athletes from any of those sports that practice iron plam at all, let alone from books. Get yourself to an experienced instructor or be prepared to deal with injuries that may linger with you for the rest of your life (sorry, paramedic and physical therapy school talking here, but its true).

7sm

OP
B

bMunky

7starmantis said:
Thats not the case. Its not "just iron training", there are many ways to seriously injure yourself and affect the rest of your life. I dont know of any athletes from any of those sports that practice iron plam at all, let alone from books. Get yourself to an experienced instructor or be prepared to deal with injuries that may linger with you for the rest of your life (sorry, paramedic and physical therapy school talking here, but its true).

7sm

But everyone I know or who I've read about including bruce lee saw how the training is done and just practiced on there own from what the remember. And I plan on buying this http://store.martialartsmart.net/tckprat102.html I know videos suck, but this should be good enough. I dont really care what you guys think about videos, or cross training, or bla bla bla. I just asked about training one part of your body and if it was effective and I dont know where this went, just like everyother post I make, haha.

Reactions: MJS
OP
B

bMunky

arnisador said:
If you're attacked by a stationary object, yes.

exactly my point, as a finisher, usually all the combos we learn in jujitsu end with a strike (but used in real life only if needed) after the oppenent is incapacitated or in submission, give him the ol' brick break strike instead of the regular palm heel.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
bMunky said:
But everyone I know or who I've read about including bruce lee saw how the training is done and just practiced on there own from what the remember. And I plan on buying this http://store.martialartsmart.net/tckprat102.html I know videos suck, but this should be good enough. I dont really care what you guys think about videos, or cross training, or bla bla bla. I just asked about training one part of your body and if it was effective and I dont know where this went, just like everyother post I make, haha.

Well, lets see...you come onto a forum, asking our thoughts on iron plam training. You get the opinions, and then you're not happy with them? Do I have this right so far??

We're simply giving advice. Its up to you to take it or leave it! As far as video learning goes...well, I don't think that its hard to see that a tape will not make a correction for you, if you are doing the movements wrong. Just because I may be able to go out and buy a video of sparring from Benny the Jet, that does not mean that I'm going to be as good a fighter just from watching that tape!

If you don't care what we think, then why did you ask???

Mike

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exactly, your attitude towards experienced advice may have something to do with your needing to study at home without an instructor.

Please try to at least stay polite towards those attempting to answer your own questions. Thye are only doing so to help you...as it was you who asked the questions....cool?

7sm

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Iron palm training is not the same thing as simply conditioning your hands. For true iron palm, you need the proper striking surfaces, proper technique, and proper linaments (read between the lines: INSTRUCTION). Without these, if you do it wrong, there is a very good chance that you will hurt yourself. This is not the same thing as simply striking a makiwara, heavy bag, or some other physical conditioning. At least understand that there is a big difference here, and those who are really qualified to teach true iron palm are few and far between. Otherwise, we would all have iron palm.

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
While I am no expert on iron palm, i believe one of the big dangers of doing it wrong is killing the nerves in your hands, and losing use of them. Not something I would fool around with.

Others might talk about disrupted Chi flow and injuries related to that. I cannot comment as my understanding and development of chi is very rudimentary.

Latest Discussions