any pig hunters out there?

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
any of you guys hunt wild pigs, if so what dogs do you run and most importantly knife or gun, which is your preference?

OP
N

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
i run an american staffy, an english staffy and a greyhound blue heeler cross. i like to use the knife rather than a gun, less room for accidents.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score
Never have, but this is a good area for it. Feral hogs have become such a nuisance in Missouri that the Conservation Department has requested that hunters 'shoot on sight'.

In Missouri, feral hogs may be taken in any number throughout the year. During most of the year, no permit is required and any method (including baiting and the use of dogs) is allowed. However, special restrictions apply during the fall firearms deer and turkey seasons.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
My WH gun is a 375 H&H magnum. I know it seems to be a bit of overkill, but it makes sure they don't get up. I carry a handgun for backup.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What sort of wild pigs do you have? Are they the same as the European wild boar? We haven't had them here for 300 years, they were hunted to extinction but have recently become reintroduced to the countryside here, accidently for the most part.
http://www.britishwildboar.org.uk/
We used to see wild boar when out walking in woods in Germany, it was only dangerous if you came across a sow with her young but if you didn't threaten them it was fine.

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
New Zealand "Captain Cookers" are the same ones we have here in Hawaii. This exotic species causes all sorts of mayhem in the natural environment and the Department of Conservation has an open season on hunting them here.

Most people here run big mean poi dogs and most pigs are taken with a knife. In fact, it's tradition in Native Hawaiian families that adolescent boys kill a pig with a knife as a rite of manhood.

I don't have any dogs, so that restricts me to bowhunting or buckshot. Usually solo hunters will set up a tree stand or a blind and wait/bait. I'll probably make a trip to Maui this fall for hunting. Oahu is really crowded and its hard to find a spot that doesn't have lots of dogs roaming everywhere rustling up pigs. Although, some of the back country areas, so I've heard, are still choice (then you gotta drag the damn thing miles and miles over mountains - not so bad if you got a couple of hardy mates with you).

Anyway, Naneek, how far do you have to get out of Auckland before you find some areas you can hunt? How are the regulations? Can you shoot over to Coromandal...it's not to busy over there?

OP
N

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
we hunt riverhead forrestry mostly which is pretty close to the city,as well as the odd trip to taupo or up to maungakahia, only been fishing out coromandel ways but i would love to hunt it or the uruwera, my dream location for a hunt

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
we hunt riverhead forrestry mostly which is pretty close to the city,as well as the odd trip to taupo or up to maungakahia, only been fishing out coromandel ways but i would love to hunt it or the uruwera, my dream location for a hunt

Te Urewera is a tangle of bush. It would be really fun to hunt!

It's good to hear that Auckland hasn't spread out and killed all of the green areas like suburbs have here in the US.

OP
N

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
tez like maunukumu says most common pigs in nz are captain cookers and some pigs which have gone feral.

yeah te urewera would be a great place for a couple of weeks hunting and the dogs would love it too

jarrod

Senior Master
Reaction score
What sort of wild pigs do you have? Are they the same as the European wild boar? We haven't had them here for 300 years, they were hunted to extinction but have recently become reintroduced to the countryside here, accidently for the most part.
http://www.britishwildboar.org.uk/
We used to see wild boar when out walking in woods in Germany, it was only dangerous if you came across a sow with her young but if you didn't threaten them it was fine.

in missouri there are farm pigs which escaped & became feral. they are not wild boar, but still dangerous to the local fauna + tasty, which makes them good hunting.

as a side note, my surname (fobes) is a derivative of forbes, which is supposedly short for "for-beast" or "beast of the forest", referring to a massive boar killed by the clan founder.

but no, i don't hunt pig though i'm hoping to take up bowhunting once i relocate to colorado & would be interested in taking it up.

jf

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A buddy of mine hunts them with dogs and a knife, at night. I've been invited, but, haven't gone yet. The more I think about it, the more I want to.

OP
N

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
you should go man, its a great experience hunting at night, a real rush when the dogs bail a pig up and you gotta run through the bush to reach it - theres nothing like it man

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If I had the money in hand to have the piggie's head mounted, I'd be there tonight...

OP
N

naneek

Green Belt
Reaction score
i generally only keep the jaw and hooks of the boars. i boil the head or smoke it and eat the meat off it, cooking it makes it easy to get the jaw off the skull.

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, but, my buddy has about half a zoo mounted and I WANT one...

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, On the Big Island of Hawaii....(70% of the land is still unocuppied)

Lots of wild pigs roaming...a few times run over by cars...and damage the cars-big time.

In our brother in-laws coffee farms...just wait in the macacidama trees at nights....and shoot them below you....many others make pig traps...and almost weekly get at least one or two pigs in the traps...

Today...the Goats are all over the place...try golfing in the Waikola resorts...a big problem with the goats (they eat the grass and everything)...

Nice thing? ....eating wild pigs and wild goats....can be tasty!

A friend goes sheep hunting too on the slope of Mauna Kea mountain....sheep is excellant to eat!

Aloha, Pig meat...Goat meat...sheep meat...makes one stronger...AW...

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
As a biologist, I'll add my 2 cents...

Feral pigs are probably the single largest threat to native wildlife habitat in the United States. The compete directly for resources with many native species (including my study species, the collared peccary), and significantly alter the landscape, making it unsuitable for other wildlife.

Please, kill them all...KILL THEM...KILL KILL KILL!!!

That felt really good.

CoryKS

Senior Master
Reaction score

Feral pigs are probably the single largest threat to native wildlife habitat in the United States. The compete directly for resources with many native species (including my study species, the collared peccary), and significantly alter the landscape, making it unsuitable for other wildlife.

That felt really good.

Plus, they're made of bacon. That alone should be all the reason you need.

elder999

El Oso de Dios!
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Feral pigs are probably the single largest threat to native wildlife habitat in the United States. The compete directly for resources with many native species (including my study species, the collared peccary), and significantly alter the landscape, making it unsuitable for other wildlife

That felt really good.

Not to mention, those feral hogs taste good, and javelina (collared peccary) tastes like crap. :lol: (Compared to pigs, anyway!)

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score

That felt really good.

Twist my arm...

I am slowly gaining permission to hunt on my various neighbors property in the valley that I live. I asked the guys across the street after a group of 12 demolished their garden. They were pissed and there are about to be a bunch of dead pigs...

Latest Discussions