any pig hunters out there?

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Feral hogs are actually super easy to trap. You don't even need one of those heavy, industrial-type hog traps. Just buy 4-5 panels of wire cattle panel, form it into a corral, wire it T-posts at the panel junctions to hold it all together. At the last point where the panels come together, make an entrance for the hogs by pushing the panels inward until they form a stable, inverted V shape. The hogs will push against the panels to get at the bait (dried feed corn) inside...they'll encounter the V-shape and push their way in, but can't use that way out because of the pointiness (for lack of a better term). This trap will hold them until they REALLY decide to leave, unlike the heavy metal hog traps which will hold them indefinitely.

The benefits of a simple trap like this are multiple: they are cheap, easy to construct, deconstruct and transport, and they will hold a lot of hogs. Bait the trap in the early evening, come back at midnight with 3 guys totin' rifles and floodlights, and you can pick them off one at a time in the trap. Blind them first with the lights, and begin shooting without speaking, and they won't know what is happening. In about 4 minutes you'll have killed MANY more hogs than using more traditional methods such as hog dogs. Just be sure to bait really heavily, so the hogs want to stay for a long time. Also, you may want to locate friends or a local charity that can take several hundred pounds of wild pork at once.

Good hunting, gentlemen!

Makalakumu

Gonzo Karate Apocalypse
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Feral hogs are actually super easy to trap. You don't even need one of those heavy, industrial-type hog traps. Just buy 4-5 panels of wire cattle panel, form it into a corral, wire it T-posts at the panel junctions to hold it all together. At the last point where the panels come together, make an entrance for the hogs by pushing the panels inward until they form a stable, inverted V shape. The hogs will push against the panels to get at the bait (dried feed corn) inside...they'll encounter the V-shape and push their way in, but can't use that way out because of the pointiness (for lack of a better term). This trap will hold them until they REALLY decide to leave, unlike the heavy metal hog traps which will hold them indefinitely.

The benefits of a simple trap like this are multiple: they are cheap, easy to construct, deconstruct and transport, and they will hold a lot of hogs. Bait the trap in the early evening, come back at midnight with 3 guys totin' rifles and floodlights, and you can pick them off one at a time in the trap. Blind them first with the lights, and begin shooting without speaking, and they won't know what is happening. In about 4 minutes you'll have killed MANY more hogs than using more traditional methods such as hog dogs. Just be sure to bait really heavily, so the hogs want to stay for a long time. Also, you may want to locate friends or a local charity that can take several hundred pounds of wild pork at once.

Good hunting, gentlemen!

Thanks for the tip. Is there a website with a diagram for this? My neighbors property is very hilly and this method would work pretty well there, I think.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Ever see pigs climb six foot rock walls? ....a few hunters have chase a few...and saw the wild pigs climb rock walls..even the dogs cannot follow the pigs..
Wild pigs...many are very smart too......(never saw one read yet?)

Aloha,

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip. Is there a website with a diagram for this? My neighbors property is very hilly and this method would work pretty well there, I think.

I hope this link works...the trap in this image is much smaller than I am recommending. Use more wire panels, make a much bigger trap, and catch multiple hogs. The trick is to shoot them at night, and be stealthy, so all they hear is the rifle. They'll startle, but they won't freak out and destroy the trap getting away unless they hear you walking/talking.

If you soak the corn in water for about a week, it sours and makes awesome bait.

http://images.google.com/imgres?img...hogs&hl=en&rlz=1T4ADBR_enUS289US289&sa=N&um=1

Jenny_in_Chico

Black Belt
Reaction score
Crap, that link just sends you to the main site. Scroll halfway down, and you'll come to a series of pics of the two types of hog traps this dude built. I'm recommending the second type, because of it's portability and fool-proof construction.

Think of me when you're killing those pigs!

Latest Discussions