Another 'Underground' kid's 'Fight Club'

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can understand the risks and the liability issues. But how in Cthulu's name are you going to keep kids from fighting?

When I was in 5th grade or so, I got in to an argument with a lad in one of my classes. He got very irritated with me, then yelled "Pool doors, tonight!" then ran off.

Meaning...meet me at the doors to the school's pool (which was in an isolated wing of the building) and we'll fight. It was typically an empty challenge but not always.

This was a challenge thrown about by 10 year olds in the early 1980s. I don't think there are any fewer kids challenging one another today. If anything, there are even more of them given how some like to film themselves fighting and publish the fight on their myspace page.
You're not.

And you're not going to stop backyard fight clubs, either.

But we can discourage it, and recognize that it's a pretty dangerous thing to do.

OP
Bill Mattocks

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I can understand the risks and the liability issues. But how in Cthulu's name are you going to keep kids from fighting?

When I was in 5th grade or so, I got in to an argument with a lad in one of my classes. He got very irritated with me, then yelled "Pool doors, tonight!" then ran off.

Meaning...meet me at the doors to the school's pool (which was in an isolated wing of the building) and we'll fight. It was typically an empty challenge but not always.

This was a challenge thrown about by 10 year olds in the early 1980s. I don't think there are any fewer kids challenging one another today. If anything, there are even more of them given how some like to film themselves fighting and publish the fight on their myspace page.

There is a difference between two kids choosing off and a group who establishes an informal club and venue in which to fight. The location where the fights are being held is either private property which they have permission to use, or it is not. In either case, the property owner could find themselves in a serious liability issue - it's 'known or should have known' about the fighting, not what you did or did not know in reality. The parents of the ringleaders could also find themselves on the hook very quickly if they have liability insurance and/or deep pockets.

This is something people just seem not to 'get' until they get sued. I was asked by my neighbors if their kids could ride their skateboards on my driveway. Hell, no! If they do it anyway, I'm still liable, but at least I made my statement forbidding it. I also have liability insurance AND bridge insurance, AND I chase them the hell off every time I see them doing it anyway.

I don't CARE about skateboarding, and I don't really mind where they do it. But no way in hell am I going to expose myself to that kind of liability by giving my permission.

By the same token - two kids get in a fight, it's mutual combat, hard to find liability unless it's really one-sided and egregious behavior. Get one kid organizing fights in his mom's backyard after school, and find out how quick a kid who gets the royal snot beat out of him's parents sue mom and take her place away. It's isn't about kids will be kids, it's about getting your *** in a crack you can't get out of. And you might not even be allowed to bankrupt out of the civil judgment you'll lose - after you spend your retirement money paying the attorney fees.

It's not about fighting. It's about liability. People who do not get that, get sued. Hard and with no lube.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, as a parent, I wouldn't want my son to be in that fight club. Many years ago, when my dad confronted me and my brother about our dangerous hobbies, he didn't forbid us from doing them. Instead, he made us get instruction, and do them the right way. Our hobbies were still dangerous (mountaineering and hang gliding, respectively), but at least we knew what we were doing. If one of these kids were mine, I'd make them join a reputable gym. Not only would it be safer, he'd learn to be a lot better fighter, too.

Agreed and that was my point. I'm not against anyone wanting to learn to fight, do the UFC, etc., as long as they get the right instruction. Many times people, especially kids, think they know what they're doing, when in reality, they haven't a clue.

Haze

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Anything we do that has contact can result in injury. Organized team sports, etc.

I'm not saying that I condone what they are doing but MMA school = $$$$
Boxing Gym -= $$$$$

I use to have fights like that as a kid, no gloves, no mouth piece, no ref.

As society exhibits more violent intent in sports we are destined to see more and more of this.

I remember the movie "Roller Ball". It will one day be a reality.

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Anything we do that has contact can result in injury. Organized team sports, etc.

I'm not saying that I condone what they are doing but MMA school = $$$$
Boxing Gym -= $$$$$

I use to have fights like that as a kid, no gloves, no mouth piece, no ref.

You can form clubs to investigate MMA, Boxing, or any MA. Schools or youth centers are really into letting the kids organize such clubs, since they get to keep an eye on the kids. They probably have some resources for the kids to get cheap or free gear as well. Kids organizing themselves to do this shows two things: a vested interest in something other than irresponsible sex and drugs, and a need to maintain physical fitness. That's a plus in my book.

Regardless, I agree, MA's can cost money. But it takes someone with experience to show these kids that they can do it for little or no money out of their pocket in exchange for a little initiative.

As society exhibits more violent intent in sports we are destined to see more and more of this.

There have been more violent times in society. Especially American society.

I remember the movie "Roller Ball". It will one day be a reality.

The 1975 or 2002 version? Either way, it's happened. In fact, take a good look at popular Japanese game shows; or American game shows based on Japanese shows (Ninja Warrior comes to mind). Heck, I went to a women's Roller Derby a few weeks ago. Lots of rolling, ladies, and mild, family-friendly violence.

Yeah. Already reality. The teenage boy's thirst to push their physical limits in the struggle to hurt themselves and each other is unquenchable. To assume that it's a new thing is completely asinine and way out of perspective.

Latest Discussions