Jack Marshman, Tillery Combat and working with disaffected teens

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm posting this here rather than the MMA section because of the effect martial arts can have on young people who need a focus to stay away from drugs, alcohol and violence.
Jack Marshman from Tillery Combat is one of the newest sign ups for the UFC, his club Tillery Combat has grown from nothing to being somewhere that inspires young people. The area is beset by economic, depression, poverty and hopelessness since the demise of coal mining and heavy industry. The unbearable sadness of the Welsh valleys - BBC News
Tillery Combat and it's amazing founder and coach has started from nothing and made it his work ( along with his day job) to give young people something to literally fight for, something to give them hope, focus and discipline.
This is written by a lovely friend of mine very involved in MMA ( and Welsh) Blog: Welsh MMA: A History – Part 3 (Tillery Combat) - Addicted MMA On The Road

Tillery Combat has been recognised by the community for it's work with young people Gwent groups celebrate share of nearly £157,000 seized from criminals

I came across Jack Marshman first when he was still in the army (3 Parachute Regiment) and fighting in between tours of Afghanistan. He's the first Welshman to be signed by the UFC and an excellent role model, win or lose, for the kids he coaches in Abertillery.
Whether you like MMA or not there's no denying that Jack fighting in the UFC means an enormous amount to Wales, it might not seem like much but to the youngsters with nothing it's a ray of hope that there's a way out that doesn't involve drugs, crime or suicide (there's a high rate of youth suicide)
Touching words of Jack Marshman's coach after he was signed to UFC

"What people forget is that I have built the Tillery Combat team up from scratch.

The guys that started training with me at the start had no previous combat experience. We started off in a nightclub cellar with a matted area of 8 x 4 metres.

I had a vision of what I wanted to achieve.

We live in the poorest region in uk with the highest unemployment rates. So lots of the guys that have joined me over the years have used the gym to escape from the day to day struggle that they are faced with.

Not one person has invested any money into us. No millionaire backers or rich community that will pay top end prices to train. We have done it with no support from the local council.

The only help we have had are grants for equipment from the Princes Trust and the Police Commissioner, because of the work we do with the youth offending team and disadvantaged youngsters.

We have succeeded on our own." Richard Shore. Founder and coach.

Just wanted to share a wonderful story with everyone. This is MMA but it could also be about any art, having a dream and working for it.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like some very dedicated people making a real difference. Good on them!

Latest Discussions