Another Glock Thread

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have Grateful Dead patches on mine. Can't stand them, but who will think a deadhead is carrying a pistol?
Great idea, lol. Maybe a peace sign and flower power patches,
icon7.gif

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think I'm leaning towards the Glock 26. I'll check it out at the gun shop and see if the short grip/handle will be an issue.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have Grateful Dead patches on mine. Can't stand them, but who will think a deadhead is carrying a pistol?

I have a fanny pack designed for my Glock 19. It works great. Easy and quick access, but I always feel like everyone knows what I have in there so I don't really use it.

Yep... those "concealed carry fannypacks" are dead giveaways... Let's see. That young-ish guy, alert with short hair, and a black fannypack worn facing front... Think maybe he's got a gun in there? :ultracool

But I like the idea of disguising patches, though...

I think I'm leaning towards the Glock 26. I'll check it out at the gun shop and see if the short grip/handle will be an issue.

If the short grip is an issue, look at the grip extenders. They replace the bottom plate on the magazine, and extend the grip about an inch.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If the short grip is an issue, look at the grip extenders. They replace the bottom plate on the magazine, and extend the grip about an inch.

Several options regarding grip extenders. I'll list them according to my own preferences.

Pearce extender: Multiple configurations. Some add +1 rounds to the magazine, others keep your magazine configuration at 10 rounds. Either works fine, although some people prefer the +0 version, because they don't like the idea of a magazine spring doing more work. Some use the +1 extender with a stronger (5 or 10% more power) magazine spring.

Pearce also has larger extenders that give you a +3 config to the Glock 26 magazines, +2 to the GLock 27/33 magazines, and +1 to the Glock 39 magazines.

Scherer: A bit larger than the standard Pearce extender. Again, multiple configurations like the ones listed for Pearce, although they top out at +2. I really don't like the Scherer as much as the Pearce ones.

Glock factory +2 extension: This is what I prefer out of the bunch. Since Glock sells the 10 round Glock 26 magazines with the +2 extender as a factory standard, that's what I choose to use, and I've never had a single failure.

The other reason is, that a 12 round Glock 26 magazine costs me about 30 bucks, whereas a 10 rounder costs me 20 bucks. If I were to buy the extender separately, that would add another 15 dollars to the cost, making it 35 bucks total for a 12 rounder. A waste of 5 dollars, since I could just buy the 12 rounder in the first place for 30 bucks.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score

I actually find that I shoot the 26 better without a mag extender, my hand just seems to "point" better. It also conceals marginally better without an extender. The buttswell is in a different place compared to my G17, and its been a bit tricky learning the difference. I'm looking at reducing the swell a bit to make it more of a match to the G17. On a straight appearance issue, I like the Pearce +1 extension, it looks almost stock.

My brother-in-law runs his G26 with a permanently attached extension to the grip so that he has the same grip length as a G17, and uses G17 mags, but has the barrel length of the G26 which is more comfortable for how he likes to carry.

Lamont

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've pretty much gone away from the subcompacts. The width is the same as the service size pistol so they don't really hide that much better than the G19 in jeans and a T-shirt. Glock (or somebody) really needs to come out with a single-stack 9mm sub (a G26 slimline). In the meantime I'm looking at the kahr PM9s or Keltecs new 9mm. The Springfield EMP is another option.

Callandor

Green Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps you should decide on the caliber first. I personally like the .40 so I took the G22. No reloads, though. :(

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Perhaps you should decide on the caliber first. I personally like the .40 so I took the G22. No reloads, though. :(

You can get an aftermarket barrel just for plinking purposes. Prices range from 90 bucks for a Federal Arms barrel, all the way to 300 for a custom Barsto barrel.

I actually have a drop-in Barsto barrel for my Glock 22, that has better support at that throat area, and the brass that comes out of my Glock 22 from these sessions looks great. Also, I can use this barrel to shoot unjacketed lead, since I still do go to a range once in a while, that only allows you to shoot unjacketed lead.

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My opinion:

If you're going to want something for competition, the Glock 34 makes a great competition piece. It's actually very well balanced (see my thread regarding my new Glock 34), since there's a hole cut in the top, and the trigger has been lightened by a pound to 4.5 lbs. You can actually get into the heart of .357 magnum performance with the longer 5.32" barrel.

If you want a bigger bore, the Glock 35 is the .40 version of the 34, and the recoil coming out of it makes it one of the softest-shooting .40 pistols out there. With this longer barrel, you can start entering 10 mm territory with ordinary .40 loads.

If you want to swap uppers, you can replace your Glock 34 upper with a Glock 17 upper and it will become a Glock 17 in all respects (except for the lighter trigger). Same thing with replacing the Glock 35 upper with a Glock 22 / 31 upper.

This way, you can get two guns in one, at a lower cost than buying separate guns.

Is swapping the upper on 35 to a 22 or 31 that simple ,slide off, slide on or do you need to change anything else when you do the swap ( other than the cartridge)?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Is swapping the upper on 35 to a 22 or 31 that simple ,slide off, slide on or do you need to change anything else when you do the swap ( other than the cartridge)?

Yup. That simple. Just take the slide off, put new upper assembly on, and you're good to go.

The extractor is the same for the .40 or 357 Sig. Thus, a Glock 22 or 31 frame (lower) will accept the following with no modifications at all:

Glock 22 upper (of course!)
Glock 24 upper (.40 longslide, 6" barrel)
Glock 31 upper
Glock 35 upper

If you change the extractor and use 9 mm magazines, you can put the following on a Glock 22 or 31 frame:

Glock 17 upper
Glock 17L upper (9 mm longslide, 6" barrel)
Glock 34 upper

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Change of plans... I went to the gun shop today and bought a Glock 27. I figured since I already have two 9mm pistols (Glock 19 and Ruger P-89) that I should do something a little different to justify another handgun (like I need to, lol). I like the idea of a larger caliber since they are basically the same size (the 26 and 27).

I'm far from an expert in firearms, so someone tell me (please) that I made a wise choice. I'm a little concerned that maybe the .40 is not as reliable as the 9mm? And now I will have to keep in stock another ammo type.

I will pick up my new toy in 10 days and take it to the range and see if the grip is an issue.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You made a good choice. The .40s are just as reliable as the 9mm's.

Let us know what you think when you pick it up!

Jeff

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Yup. That simple. Just take the slide off, put new upper assembly on, and you're good to go.

The extractor is the same for the .40 or 357 Sig. Thus, a Glock 22 or 31 frame (lower) will accept the following with no modifications at all:

Glock 22 upper (of course!)
Glock 24 upper (.40 longslide, 6" barrel)
Glock 31 upper
Glock 35 upper

If you change the extractor and use 9 mm magazines, you can put the following on a Glock 22 or 31 frame:

Glock 17 upper
Glock 17L upper (9 mm longslide, 6" barrel)
Glock 34 upper

Can uppers be easily bought/ordered through a local dealer? I figured they must run around $200?
I tried looking on the internet to see prices but cant find anything.
( I am licensed).

Callandor

Green Belt
Reaction score
You can get an aftermarket barrel just for plinking purposes. Prices range from 90 bucks for a Federal Arms barrel, all the way to 300 for a custom Barsto barrel.

I actually have a drop-in Barsto barrel for my Glock 22, that has better support at that throat area, and the brass that comes out of my Glock 22 from these sessions looks great. Also, I can use this barrel to shoot unjacketed lead, since I still do go to a range once in a while, that only allows you to shoot unjacketed lead.

Yup, you're right. An aftermarket barrel with good chamber support specially at 6 o'clock is good in preventing "problems" which some people like point out (I love my Glock). It could also tolerate LRN bullets better (I think due to the original barrel's polygonal rifling?). And yes, Bar-Sto rocks (along with Caspian)!

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can uppers be easily bought/ordered through a local dealer? I figured they must run around $200?
I tried looking on the internet to see prices but cant find anything.
( I am licensed).

Complete uppers are probably going to be closer to the low 300's, since the cost of the polymer frame is rather small. If someone tries to sell you the upper without the barrel, for that price, look elsewhere, since you will have paid at least another 120 bucks for the barrel.

I know that you can buy slides and even complete uppers on eBay (completely legal).

I think topglock.com also sells the uppers separately. Heck, they sell just about everything for Glocks (including complete pistols), that I would guess that they would have them.

Also, customglock.com should be able to help you.