Another Glock Thread

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going to be shopping for a new Glock pistol to add to my gun collection. I've had a 19 for quite a few years now and I'm very happy with it (and I'll be keeping it).

But I can't decide which new model I want to purchase. Can anyone nudge me a little with your opinions and preferences? I'm especially interested in hearing from Grenadier, but I'd also like to hear from everyone.

Thanks.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
What are you looking for a new Glock for? Concealed carry? Target shooting/competition? On-duty carry as a LEO? Or "just cause?"

Those are the primary factors that I think should drive your choice.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What are you looking for a new Glock for? Concealed carry? Target shooting/competition? On-duty carry as a LEO? Or "just cause?"

Those are the primary factors that I think should drive your choice.
Actually, I'm considering a compact for conceal carry and also something "bigger" just for fun, lol.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm going to be shopping for a new Glock pistol to add to my gun collection. I've had a 19 for quite a few years now and I'm very happy with it (and I'll be keeping it).

But I can't decide which new model I want to purchase. Can anyone nudge me a little with your opinions and preferences? I'm especially interested in hearing from Grenadier, but I'd also like to hear from everyone.

Thanks.

My opinion:

The Glock 19 is a great all-purpose gun. It's still compact enough to conceal well, with a decent holster and belt, yet also large enough that it's comfortable to use for most folks.

If you want something for concealed carry, the Glock 26 is one of the most fulfilling handguns I've ever had the pleasure of owning. If you don't like the two-fingered grip (pinky curls underneath the magazine), then you can buy a +2 extender for the magazine (made by Glock), or even buy the complete magazine with the extender already installed, for a full three fingered grip. I have this configuration on my Glock 26, and everyone who has shot it has enjoyed the full grip, from slender ladies, to larger characters.

Recoil is soft in the Glock 26, even when I use some of the hottest loads available (Winchester 127 grain +P+ JHP is one of the hottest), yet I don't lose much velocity at all from that 3.5" barrel.

Some folks will argue that the Glock 27 is better because it shoots a bigger bullet. I won't disagree, that the .40 can be more effective, but the difference in effectiveness is quite slim, when you compare the premium hollowpoints between calibers. Also, the kick of the Glock 27 is going to be significantly greater.

That being said, I also own a Glock 27. I can shoot quite well with it, but I still prefer the Glock 26, and it still remains my favorite concealed carry gun.

If you're going to want something for competition, the Glock 34 makes a great competition piece. It's actually very well balanced (see my thread regarding my new Glock 34), since there's a hole cut in the top, and the trigger has been lightened by a pound to 4.5 lbs. You can actually get into the heart of .357 magnum performance with the longer 5.32" barrel.

If you want a bigger bore, the Glock 35 is the .40 version of the 34, and the recoil coming out of it makes it one of the softest-shooting .40 pistols out there. With this longer barrel, you can start entering 10 mm territory with ordinary .40 loads.

If you want to swap uppers, you can replace your Glock 34 upper with a Glock 17 upper and it will become a Glock 17 in all respects (except for the lighter trigger). Same thing with replacing the Glock 35 upper with a Glock 22 / 31 upper.

This way, you can get two guns in one, at a lower cost than buying separate guns.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Great information. Is the 26 'physically' smaller than the 27 or are they the same size?

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Great information. Is the 26 'physically' smaller than the 27 or are they the same size?
They're the same size...all the 9mm and .40's have the same dimensions within their size envelope (19/23, 17/22, 34/35).

FWIW, I also have a 19 and love it. The 26 will probably be my next one simply because of the better concealment (in some situations) due to the shorter grip.

I personally see no reason to go with the .40 over the 9mm.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Actually, I'm considering a compact for conceal carry and also something "bigger" just for fun, lol.
I'm required to carry Glocks, in .40 calibre. For "uniform" or "open carry" duties, I like the Glock 22. Of course, I carry 15 rounds, +1 in the chamber... To me, it fits my hand, and it's a comfortable gun. Currently, I use a Streamlight M3 Illuminator mounted on the rails; the Model 22 is big enough that it's not unbalanced. I suspect that a Model 23 (slightly smaller) might be. That said -- the Model 23 is a good fit for lots of people, and it's a lot easier to conceal than the Model 22. (You can conceal the Glock 22 -- but it ain't easy!)

For concealed carry, I use a Model 27, with the grip extender on the magazine. I can shoot reasonably well without it... but it's definitely a little easier to control the gun with that extra "finger width." It's a very concealable gun... Most folks don't even know I've got it, and I tend to use either a pancake or paddle holster on my right hip.

I like Glocks; they're "cop simple." No extra buttons or gadgets to work with, unlike Sigs, for example. It's just ESSENTIAL that you keep your finger off the trigger with 'em unless you want the gun to go "BANG." And Glocks WILL go bang... I think it was on MT that someone posted a guy's blog about his attempts to abuse a Glock and keep it from firing. They're very tolerant of not being cleaned often, of being carried in bad weather (and concealed carry might as well be bad weather; think about the lint & humidity at close to body temps!)

That said, someone was telling me that there's a gun out there (I think it's made by Springfield Arms) that's got most of the good parts of the Glock, plus a grip safety. I kind of like that idea, since there have been incidents of Glocks firing when stuff (like coat drawstrings) got caught in the trigger as the gun was holstered.

Of course... if you really just wanna go "bigger for fun"... try this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kBjUDCyDCuI

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm a great fan of the Glock 21 and the baby Glock in .45. I've also been favorably impressed by their .357 Sig model. The 21 requires a little ingenuity to carry concealed, but it is possible.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm required to carry Glocks, in .40 calibre. For "uniform" or "open carry" duties, I like the Glock 22. Of course, I carry 15 rounds, +1 in the chamber... To me, it fits my hand, and it's a comfortable gun. Currently, I use a Streamlight M3 Illuminator mounted on the rails; the Model 22 is big enough that it's not unbalanced. I suspect that a Model 23 (slightly smaller) might be. That said -- the Model 23 is a good fit for lots of people, and it's a lot easier to conceal than the Model 22. (You can conceal the Glock 22 -- but it ain't easy!)

For concealed carry, I use a Model 27, with the grip extender on the magazine. I can shoot reasonably well without it... but it's definitely a little easier to control the gun with that extra "finger width." It's a very concealable gun... Most folks don't even know I've got it, and I tend to use either a pancake or paddle holster on my right hip.

I like Glocks; they're "cop simple." No extra buttons or gadgets to work with, unlike Sigs, for example. It's just ESSENTIAL that you keep your finger off the trigger with 'em unless you want the gun to go "BANG." And Glocks WILL go bang... I think it was on MT that someone posted a guy's blog about his attempts to abuse a Glock and keep it from firing. They're very tolerant of not being cleaned often, of being carried in bad weather (and concealed carry might as well be bad weather; think about the lint & humidity at close to body temps!)

That said, someone was telling me that there's a gun out there (I think it's made by Springfield Arms) that's got most of the good parts of the Glock, plus a grip safety. I kind of like that idea, since there have been incidents of Glocks firing when stuff (like coat drawstrings) got caught in the trigger as the gun was holstered.

Of course... if you really just wanna go "bigger for fun"... try this:
Looks like the 26 is a little better for concealed carry? Where on your body do you carry your 27? Ankle, hip, other?

As far as the video...:erg:

Last edited by a moderator:

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Looks like the 26 is a little better for concealed carry? Where on your body do you carry your 27? Ankle, hip, other?

For my subcompacts, I'll use my Mitch Rosen Upper Limit Express holster. This is a high-riding holster that pulls the gun very snugly against your body, if you use a good belt (those 10 dollar Wal-Mart ones will not do the job). On a hot day (most of the spring and all of the summer in Alabama), I'll wear a pair of dress shorts, a t-shirt, and wear an unbuttoned (or sometimes buttoned) short sleeve dress shirt over it, with the gun and holster between the 4 o'clock and 5 o'clock positions.

If I'm even less formal, I'll just wear my t-shirt untucked.

The rig essentially disappears under a simply untucked shirt.

That being said, Mitch makes them really snug at first, so I also recommend buying a vial of "Leather Lightning." It's a polysiloxane-based lube that does not weaken the leather, and gives a bit of slickness to the inside of the holster, so that you don't have to use a Herculean effort to draw the gun while the holster is new. By the time it wears out, the holster is usually broken in just right.

http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/product_line.html

The Express line isn't quite as nice as the normal line that they sell, but they're still heads and shoulders above almost anyone else.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For my subcompacts, I'll use my Mitch Rosen Upper Limit Express holster. This is a high-riding holster that pulls the gun very snugly against your body, if you use a good belt (those 10 dollar Wal-Mart ones will not do the job). On a hot day (most of the spring and all of the summer in Alabama), I'll wear a pair of dress shorts, a t-shirt, and wear an unbuttoned (or sometimes buttoned) short sleeve dress shirt over it, with the gun and holster between the 4 o'clock and 5 o'clock positions.

If I'm even less formal, I'll just wear my t-shirt untucked.

The rig essentially disappears under a simply untucked shirt.

That being said, Mitch makes them really snug at first, so I also recommend buying a vial of "Leather Lightning." It's a polysiloxane-based lube that does not weaken the leather, and gives a bit of slickness to the inside of the holster, so that you don't have to use a Herculean effort to draw the gun while the holster is new. By the time it wears out, the holster is usually broken in just right.

http://www.mitchrosen.com/product_line/product_line.html

The Express line isn't quite as nice as the normal line that they sell, but they're still heads and shoulders above almost anyone else.
More good info. I like your Mitch Rosen link, thanks.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
They're the same size...all the 9mm and .40's have the same dimensions within their size envelope (19/23, 17/22, 34/35).

FWIW, I also have a 19 and love it. The 26 will probably be my next one simply because of the better concealment (in some situations) due to the shorter grip.

I personally see no reason to go with the .40 over the 9mm.
Hey Kenpotex, how long have you had your 19? Has it given you any trouble?

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score

As far as the video...:erg:
Depends on just exactly how concealed I wanna be, if ya know what I mean. Generally, for day to day purposes, it's on my right hip, under my shirt or jacket. If I'm going further... Sorry, practical considerations mean that I'm not discussing that.

As to which is better, the 26 or 27... It all depends on what you want. 9 mm or .40 cal... The guns are the same size. How big a hole do you want to make?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

It's physically smaller and lighter.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Me, I would go with one in .357 Sig, just 'cause I don't have anything in that caliber yet.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now Jeff this is a Glock thread!
icon6.gif

The 17 (9mm) and the 22 (.40) are both great! However they are a little challenging to conceal but with the right holster and clothes they are not too difficult. You can also conceal with a fanny pack specifically designed for that purpose when you are wearing shorts or your shirt is tucked in. The 26 is beautiful handgun as well though the handle is just to short for me.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Kenpotex, how long have you had your 19? Has it given you any trouble?
I bought it new in Jan. of '05 and have since put over 7,000 rounds through it with zero weapon-related malfunctions. The only malfunctions were either due to faulty ammo (hard-primer, etc.) or operator error ("limp-wristing" by a friend who'd never shot a semi-auto).
As I said, I love the model 19...If I could only have one handgun, this would be it.

QUI-GON said:

The 9mm, .40, and .357 SIG models are all have the same dimensions within their respective categories: Standard (17, 22, 31), Compact (19, 23, 32), and Sub-Compact (26, 27, 33).

Here's a link to the Glock page with all the models and technical data.
http://www.glock.com/english/index_pistols.htm

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's physically smaller and lighter.
Carol, I gotta disagree. Per Glock's technical specs, the guns are the same size. They estimate that the M26 is .02 oz heavier than the M27, loaded.

All of Glock's subcompacts are very close in size and weight; say about 30 oz, 6.5 in by 4.5 in by 1.2 in or so.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now Jeff this is a Glock thread!
icon6.gif

The 17 (9mm) and the 22 (.40) are both great! However they are a little challenging to conceal but with the right holster and clothes they are not too difficult. You can also conceal with a fanny pack specifically designed for that purpose when you are wearing shorts or your shirt is tucked in. The 26 is beautiful handgun as well though the handle is just to short for me.
I have a fanny pack designed for my Glock 19. It works great. Easy and quick access, but I always feel like everyone knows what I have in there so I don't really use it.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have a fanny pack designed for my Glock 19. It works great. Easy and quick access, but I always feel like everyone knows what I have in there so I don't really use it.
I have Grateful Dead patches on mine. Can't stand them, but who will think a deadhead is carrying a pistol?