Animal Rights activists call for death of baby polar bear

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Tis stupid, tis sad and yes there was a program (animal planet I think) that shown how a baby polar bear, rejected by it's mother was hand raised (well sorta... they limited human contact) until it was old enough to go off on it's own...
Show mentioned that while it didn't recieve the "training" from it's mother on how to find food... bears aren't stupid and they're instinctive animals by nature so they weren't too overly concern about it's ability to eat.

Animal activist... definitely need to get their heads out of their arses.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
As far as I can tell, the only reason this animal is in a zoo in the first place is because he was born in a zoo - otherwise, it's unlikely that anyone would know about him anyway. Since he is a zoo animal, born in a zoo to an animal that performed in a show (an unnatural life, and probably part of the reason why the mother was not maternal - although there are other possible reasons), and he is likely to be turned loose - I see no problem with a hand-raised bear being in a zoo. If he should have been allowed to die in the first place, then it should have happened when his twin died. To save him and then kill him is wrong.

Ray

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Mankind will never be around forever? I dont know the answer to this neither does anyone else.
Actually, I believe that we are eternal. I was trying to play the devil's advocate; I've since decided that he can hire his own advocate.
Some may say yes, some may say we will all die tomorrow but until that day come how about we save as many animals from extiction as we can.
You might be right.
How is it counterproductive? If we, like scientists say, are the cause of declining animal populations why would it be counterproductive to try and save them?
That was some more advocacy on my part. Honestly, I think that little bear is cute as heck.

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know.... it looks pretty dangerous to me. In a cute and cuddly sort of way.
icon12.gif

jim777

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw this in the paer this morning, and thought it was probably a joke. Kill an animal because its mother abandoned it? What a ridiculous stance to take on a life!

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Isn't the cub already in a zoo? I swear, animal rights activists don't have any common sense at all.

Yes, the cub is in a zoo and the keepers intend for it to stay there. I have the disntinct impression that the animal rights activists involved were not in full possession of the facts when they opened their big mouths. It looks like they thought it was going to be kept as a pet or something.

By the way, aren't you Americans not supposed to talk about polar bears?

Jade Tigress

RAWR
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I believe that over the history of this planet, science would say that mankind is responsible for a small percentage of extinct species. Those that cannot adapt are doomed to failure...you don't think mankind will be around forever, and forever be the savior of all living species? That would be counterproduct to the natural evolutionary process.

for the record, I am against abusing animals too. But I do love to eat meats of many fowl and mammal.

I haven't decided if I'm against abusing PETA members though.

Poachers have many wild species on the verge of extinction, and some already gone. If there were no laws in place against it, the animals in question would already be gone. I'm not talking about the natural laws of survival of the fittest, nor am I refering to history. I'm talking about protecting what we have now from further extinction due to our own carelessness. And all this with some common sense. People who protest developing some area for the sole fact some mosquito or fly's habitiat will be disrupted are out of their ever lovin minds. Everytime a house is built, some spider, some mouse, some bird, some cricket, some rabbit is going to be disrupted. However, we probably want to preserve the habitats of endangered species. Animal rights activists don't get the distinction.

For the record, I also love to eat the meat of animals, and I like leather. Once again, I'm talking about common sense here. PETA does not use common sense. They don't look at the big picture. They think fish should not be kept in tanks for cryin out loud. It's ridiculous. As in the case of this polar bear cub. The argument to kill the cub under these circumstances is ridiculous. Where's the common sense?

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isn't the cub already in a zoo? I swear, animal rights activists don't have any common sense at all.

Completely understandable reaction and one that I find carries a lot of water with non-extremist view-holders i.e. by taking such an 'anti' stance on absolutely anything and everything, the so-called animal-rights activists effectively undermine both their own position and the possibility of anything useful actually being done ....

:grr:

Sorry for the long sentence there by the way ... perilously close to 'rant mode' methinks :blush:.

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
Poachers have many wild species on the verge of extinction, and some already gone. If there were no laws in place against it, the animals in question would already be gone. I'm not talking about the natural laws of survival of the fittest, nor am I refering to history. I'm talking about protecting what we have now from further extinction due to our own carelessness. And all this with some common sense. People who protest developing some area for the sole fact some mosquito or fly's habitiat will be disrupted are out of their ever lovin minds. Everytime a house is built, some spider, some mouse, some bird, some cricket, some rabbit is going to be disrupted. However, we probably want to preserve the habitats of endangered species. Animal rights activists don't get the distinction.

For the record, I also love to eat the meat of animals, and I like leather. Once again, I'm talking about common sense here. PETA does not use common sense. They don't look at the big picture. They think fish should not be kept in tanks for cryin out loud. It's ridiculous. As in the case of this polar bear cub. The argument to kill the cub under these circumstances is ridiculous. Where's the common sense?

You're definitely right. Animal rights activists should not be confused with rational people using their common sense. They have found a way to claim the moral high ground and will not relinquish it, no matter what. They cannot afford to look at the big picture because then they would realise how small they really are.

PETA bothers me a lot. For the first instance it appears to actually be a charismatic cult. In the second instance they euthanise somewhere between 1500 and 2000 animals each year,which is strictly against their stated principles. And, lastly, they are supporters of one of the nastiest animal rights organisations I have heard of (can't recall the name of this group off the top of my head).

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I hate to break this to you: animals don't really have rights.

I'm torn between the cuteness of the animal and wondering what polar bear veal tastes like.

Are you teasing, ray? :eek:. I hope so ... then again, a fully grown polar bear that's hungry wouldn't even spare a thought about the cuteness of the human, so 'turn about is fair play' I suppose.

EDIT: Sorry, Ray, that's what I get for jumping in at the end of a thread rather than reading all the posts first :rei:. {sheepish mode}points to Ray's earlier posts{/sheepish mode}

On the subject tho', I would imagine that polar bear meat is not palatable to us as they're largely carnivores and we prefer herbivore flesh (not so 'gamey').

As to 'rights', I used to feel that because we had the power to subjugate and exploit animals, which seemingly have no speach or cognition, then it was okay for us to do so.

Nowadays, altho' I'm by no means about to turn vegan or somesuch, I'm also by no means so sure that we have the right to feed off other species when we have the means not to do so if we choose. We certainly should do what we can to ensure that there is no needess suffering involved in either their lives or their end as they journey towards our plate.

That's a whole other thread tho'.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is sad. I saw a news clip on it tonight. Personally, while the cub may not have the skills to survive in the wild, as I would imagine this is something learned from the parents, this cub is being kept in the zoo correct? If thats the case, there is not really any need for survival skill. If there was worry of him not fitting in with other bears in the zoo, this one is simply kept seperate.

Mike

Laurentkd

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I hate to break this to you: animals don't really have rights.

I'm torn between the cuteness of the animal and wondering what polar bear veal tastes like.

I agree with you here, I was merely restating the original quote

who wants a steak!?!?! (Don't think I could do a polar bear steak though...)

Amazon

Green Belt
Reaction score
This makes no sense at all!
Now, I am am inclined to believe that there is probably something wrong with the cub for the mother to abandon it

Not necessarily the case. Sometimes it just happens.

You're definitely right. Animal rights activists should not be confused with rational people using their common sense. They have found a way to claim the moral high ground and will not relinquish it, no matter what. They cannot afford to look at the big picture because then they would realise how small they really are.

PETA bothers me a lot. For the first instance it appears to actually be a charismatic cult. In the second instance they euthanise somewhere between 1500 and 2000 animals each year,which is strictly against their stated principles. And, lastly, they are supporters of one of the nastiest animal rights organisations I have heard of (can't recall the name of this group off the top of my head).

You should hear about some of the things that my husband (Empty Hands) has seen. He is getting his PhD in medical research and people that he has worked with have gotten letters with razor blades in them, had their kids harassed and followed on the way to school, had people show up at their house during a gathering and harass people and shout at them.

I find it particularly interesting that the head of PETA is diabetic and takes insulin that was originally developed in rats. She'd die without it. But when she is confronted about this her answer is that the rats would want her to have it because she's fighting for them. :bs1:

Steel Tiger

Senior Master
Reaction score
HUH? What? I don't get it? Mind clarifying that?

~a clueless American

It is a reference to a statement made by someone in your government about global warming and its effect on polar bears. Basically, it was an implicit directive to the scientific community to stop talking about man-made global warming.

michaeledward

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It is a reference to a statement made by someone in your government about global warming and its effect on polar bears. Basically, it was an implicit directive to the scientific community to stop talking about man-made global warming.

This is the second post this evening, Steel Tiger, in which you demonstrated excellent knowledge of the political activities of a country as far away from you as possible, while remaining on the same planet.

I commend you for your planetary awareness.

:asian:

OP
Carol

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Tell you what let Knut grow up and then Mr. Albrecht is more than welcome to walk into his pen and discuss this with him.

Give me a friggen break, leave the little fuzz ball alone.

Sukerkin

MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Tell you what let Knut grow up and then Mr. Albrecht is more than welcome to walk into his pen and discuss this with him.

Give me a friggen break, leave the little fuzz ball alone.

Huzzar!

Okay, not the most eloquent of posts but I think you catch the drift of my approval there :D/

Latest Discussions