Andre the Giant vs. Bruce Lee (is super technique enough against super-size)

OP
S

stanley neptune

I am a big big fan of both Bruce and Andre. But honestly. Bruce was 5'1" 98 and pounds soaking wet. Andre was 7'5" and 520 pounds. Andre would annihilate Bruce Lee. And don't forget the Dread Pirate Roberts was not a real pirate. As far as the rippping a leg off of a Leopard, I don't believe that for one second. He did rip the claws, tails and all of the meat off of 12 Lobsters at Custy's Restaurant in Rhode Island, and washed it down with a case of beer in one sitting. Bruce Lee couldn't eat an order of Popcorn Shrimp and wash it down with a single Tsing Tao.

Andre would kick Bruce Lee's arsse!! (And I have trained in JKD.)

Stanley Neptune

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andre had a back problem towards his end I do belive which would with out a doubt get in the way alot. So it would depend. The factors in determining this also would depend on where and when and all so the only way you could do it and find out would be to go raise the dead. So get to work and get me some autographs while your at it.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at the 2 pages of posts, there are some very interesting thoughts on the topic. However, I'm sitting here thinking, "If all thats needed to win any situation is size and strength, then why study ANY art, if all that you need to beat it is to be big and strong?" I mean, if thats all you need, then why not just 'live' in the gym or take steroids?

As I said before in a previous post, its not a matter of being able to get a choke, armlock, leg lock, etc. on the person. What matters, is doing something effective. And yes, before anyone says that if the person is on drugs, they're not gonna feel anything.....IMO, you do what you need to do to survive! And if that means breaking the guys neck, cuz the 2 kicks to the groin didnt work, then so be it. Does that sound harsh and cruel? Absolutely! Will you end up in jail? Maybe you will. Now let me ask this question: If you were with your wife and kids, and were faced with someone big and possibly on drugs, wouldnt you do what you had to in order to survive?? I certainly know that I would!!!

Mike

OP
S

stanley neptune

Mike,

Sounds like you have given this a lot of thought. Defending ones self and loved ones with Jet Li like moves is a martial artist's wet dream (or day dream as the case may be since people seem to be responding to this stuff during working hours.)

I would hazard that the very very vast MINORITY of fights can be ended by snapping an opponents neck a la Chuck Norris. As my Chiropractor says, "Chuck's old army flicks give the Chiropractic industry a bad name." (he said that as he was cracking my neck.)

Some people are born under 7'5" so they have to find a martial art that gives them a false sense of security. It makes them feel better about themselves.

Me I'll take Andre the Giant any day. Bring on the Lobster and the Labatts

Stanley Neptune

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
stanley neptune said:
Mike,

Sounds like you have given this a lot of thought. Defending ones self and loved ones with Jet Li like moves is a martial artist's wet dream (or day dream as the case may be since people seem to be responding to this stuff during working hours.)

Thank you. I've given similar responses in other threads before. Sure is it fun to do the fancy, flashy stuff? Yeah, but if someone was really serious about self defense, I often ask myself why they would want to waste their time with the Jet Li stuff.

I would hazard that the very very vast MINORITY of fights can be ended by snapping an opponents neck a la Chuck Norris. As my Chiropractor says, "Chuck's old army flicks give the Chiropractic industry a bad name." (he said that as he was cracking my neck.)

Gotta love Chuck!!! Yeah, that is a little harsh, but like I said, do what you have to in order to come out of the situation alive. If at a party and you're dealing with a drunk, and an armlock works, then hell yeah, use that. If its 12am and you're walking to your car and someone comes at you with a knife, then maybe an armbreak is a better option.

Some people are born under 7'5" so they have to find a martial art that gives them a false sense of security. It makes them feel better about themselves.

I would think that there are many people born under 7'5"!!

Me I'll take Andre the Giant any day. Bring on the Lobster and the Labatts

Well, I'll take whatever works, and definately....bring on that lobster!!!!!!!!

Mike

OP
S

stanley neptune

Hey Mike I checked out your background in your profile. I would hazard a guess that you train at Cromwell Martial Arts. Do you know of any good schools in the Boston area that have a similar curriculum to what you study? It looks pretty diverse and covers all bases.

I'd still take Andre over Bruce.

Stanley Neptune

OP
C

c2kenpo

WOW, Princess Bride, lepoards, and dying young! OH MY!!

First I pass along my great admiration for those two greats in History. (Met Andre as a kid wow ;) )

Now for the argument of size & strength over technique.
First make your environment
1) Severly closed off space i.e nowhere to run (ANDRE as my winner majority of time) due to limited environment but however there is proper weapons and targets and attacking ones base and stability and can change any fight into a win.
2) Room to move i.e. Boxing Ring (Bruce Lee every time) why????
say no more Mohammed Ali the great one..Ali's strategy was perfect and is still today when dealing with an opponent of such size and girth. Let them wear themsleves down. Stay just out of reach make them move but dont run move in move out. When your opponent is weary...ba bam!!

The environment can change the outcome just as much as techniqe or strength but the first thing that will determine the outcome is your ATTITUDE.

Float like a butterfly......sting like a bee..

JM 2cents

Dave

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
stanley neptune said:
Hey Mike I checked out your background in your profile. I would hazard a guess that you train at Cromwell Martial Arts. Do you know of any good schools in the Boston area that have a similar curriculum to what you study? It looks pretty diverse and covers all bases.

Stanley Neptune

Stanley- check your private messages.

Mike

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
stanley neptune said:

Stanley Neptune

Yes, thats where I did some of my Kenpo training. Fortunately, I'm not there anymore. My Arnis, BJJ, and Krav Maga all come from different sources. As for the schools in the Boston area...well, I'm not too familiar with that area, but I'm sure that I could help you out in some way. Shoot me a PM if you'd like to talk more.

Mike

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Strangely enough, I think it would be a stalemate.

1) Bruce would have been so fast that Andre wouldn't have been able to touch him.
2) Andre's size and strenght would have given him some serious damage capacity. Not sure if Mr. Lee could have damaged him enough to take him down.

Also, remember that Bruce wasn't stupid. He was exceptionally fast, but he would have had to get past a 3'+ reach to get to anything really sensitive (eyes/groin).

Then again, this is all speculation as others have said, since both have now passed on. Both were great athletes in their respective fields, and should be thought of as such. /nod

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
stanley neptune said:
..... Bruce was 5'1" 98 and pounds soaking wet. ....

He was 5'3" and between 110-130lb.

Bruce Lee's explosive strength would break Andre like a sack of potato.
"All those big and slow men are meat for me." ---Jack Dempsey, one of boxing's all-time greats.

OP
F

FatherHiei

Marginal said:
I think it's gonna be a tie. Andre and Bruce both bein' dead and all...
most definitely..... muahahaha I'd win in a fight vs both at the same time.. i mean come on

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
"most definitely..... muahahaha I'd win in a fight vs both at the same time.. i mean come on"
he said as the zombie versions of both rose up. Bwahahahaha

OP
J

JDenz

tough one but I say Andre as long as it was before his health started failing. When he was younger he was a monster. Bruce was the man but he was small Andre has alot of reach and comes from an era of wrestling when there were still guys with serious skills left. And he was not that slow. Plus the dread pirate roberts cheated. And he wasn't even really roberts lol.

OP
C

Cobra

Assuming that since they where alive around the same time, do you think they ever met or looked at each other on T.V. and said "I could kick his ***." Do you think they maybe thought on who would win if they faught each other?

OP
C

c2kenpo

Cobra said:
Assuming that since they where alive around the same time, do you think they ever met or looked at each other on T.V. and said "I could kick his ***." Do you think they maybe thought on who would win if they faught each other?

I think you are trying too much here. We had some good ideas and thoughts in the topic of size and strength vs. techniqe and speed. But to ask what someone thought is not important. Now if you want to continue the topic ask a question that bears some thought.

For example if a giant of a man had the speed and dexterity how would that affect the balance? Would a smaller person still be able to be combat effective? :idunno:

Just keeping active thought alive.

Dave

OP
C

Cobra

c2kenpo said:
I think you are trying too much here. We had some good ideas and thoughts in the topic of size and strength vs. techniqe and speed. But to ask what someone thought is not important. Now if you want to continue the topic ask a question that bears some thought.

For example if a giant of a man had the speed and dexterity how would that affect the balance? Would a smaller person still be able to be combat effective? :idunno:

Just keeping active thought alive.

Dave
What I really meant to ask was weren't they adults around the same time?

I'm sure it is also possible to have speed and dexterity, but Andre was pretty overweight even for his size.

OP
J

JDenz

Andre wasn't fat all his life only in his later days. His body kept growing he had hormone problems, but back in his Japenese wrestling days and his younger days he was alot skinner and almost looked normal.

Datu Tim Hartman

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Size makes a difference! That's why there are weight divisions in combative sports. I think there are other factors that we have to ask. Is this fight sport or reality, in the ring or the street, bare handed or environmental tool allowed?

In the ring I would put my money on The Giant, in the street it would be anyone’s guess.
:asian:

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Renegade said:
Size makes a difference! That's why there are weight divisions in combative sports. I think there are other factors that we have to ask. Is this fight sport or reality, in the ring or the street, bare handed or environmental tool allowed?

In the ring I would put my money on The Giant, in the street it would be anyone’s guess.
:asian:

Back in the old days of bare-knuckle boxing, excellent boxers routinely beat up opponents that outweighed them by 10-30 lbs.