Anderson Silva just said that he wants to compete in the Olympics in Taekwondo!

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
He seemed very serious! Dana White stated that he could win in the TKD OLympics in 2012 with little effort!

The Olympics will be in Brazil in 2016 They can give him a slot if they want to! I am sure that the WTF would do anything needed to get him to fight. This would be great for TKD. Just him mentioning it is great for TKD.

Silva should get with Patrice Remarck Immediately!!!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Many of the Non-Athlete MMA Folks have bashed traditional Martial Arts...Joe Rogan has been the leading voice of that odd bunch...but the athlete MMA folks have allot of respect for traditional Martial Arts...

I think Joe Rogan has backed off a bit...with Machida's success and now Benson Henderson...

ralphmcpherson

Senior Master
Reaction score
thanks Gorilla, that article was an interesting read. Its about time some people realise that in "true mixed martial arts" there is a lot more than just bjj and muay thai.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Many of the Non-Athlete MMA Folks have bashed traditional Martial Arts...Joe Rogan has been the leading voice of that odd bunch...but the athlete MMA folks have allot of respect for traditional Martial Arts...

I think Joe Rogan has backed off a bit...with Machida's success and now Benson Henderson...

Joe's opinion on anything but jiu jitsu should be taken with a huge grain of salt in my opinion.

Anderson fights like a taekwondo player, in my eyes. Same kind of counter striking, same head movement. I'd LOVE to see this.

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I am really hoping that he makes the attempt at the 2016 Olympics in Brazil. This could be the break TKD needs to help bring it into the main stream! Anderson Sylva is at the top of his game and the apex of his popularity. Remember Brazil is hosting the Olympics so he won't have to qualify. His best shot to be competitive is at heavyweight!

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am really hoping that he makes the attempt at the 2016 Olympics in Brazil. This could be the break TKD needs to help bring it into the main stream! Anderson Sylva is at the top of his game and the apex of his popularity. Remember Brazil is hosting the Olympics so he won't have to qualify. His best shot to be competitive is at heavyweight!

I have a feeling he'd look very much like Carlo Molfetta at heavyweight, same kind of fantastic counter striking :)

OP
G

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
ETinCYQX....very good observation!

His movement would be very difficult for a TKD Heavyweight to deal with...that's why he needs a TKD trainer with a open mind....one who could see the possibilities...one who could capture his strengths...that would be Patrice Remarck!!!

I think that this could be huge for TKD!

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Judging from London, heavyweights seem to rely on their reach, comparatively speaking the technique at heavyweight wasn't quite as polished. Anderson, like Carlo, won't allow that. I think Carlo is only about 6'2, he fights very well inside.

sopraisso

Blue Belt
Reaction score
It would be fun to see that. Maybe his style coming from a very different ruleset could help bring some new ideas and tactics to tkd sport today.

WMKS Shogun

Green Belt
Reaction score
I may be off base with this, but I thought there were rules against professional (read: paid) athletes competing in certain Olympic sports... I am not sure if TKD is one of them, or if I am just wrong. In this case, I hope I am. It would be fantastic to see him compete in Brazil.
(I know that is not true with basketball, what with the USA "Dream Teams" and all).

Instructor

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think you might be right David. That being said I can't wait to see the fight!