UFC fighter Anderson Silva wants to be an Olympian

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
??? Anderson is attempting to compete under WTF rules. That some KKW schools approach their sparring differently is beside the point. It's not relevant for Andersson Silva. If you think that roundhouse kick was fast, you haven't seen much.

Its entirely relevant.....

MJ trying to Play baseball
Toney trying MMA

You be great at one thing and suck at another.

The videos of him practicing Kukki TKD are cringeworthy.

Instructors in our association ( which has had ZERO to do with anything kukki since the 90s) who were successful in the 80s and 90s in AAU, look better than silva when they try to train together once every Blue moon. The only Kukki thing they adopt is the this weird guard thats somewhere between a normal fighting stance and kukkis method to protext the floating ribs. They dont clinch, use any of the same combos, etc.

Silvas good at MMA, but his kukki sparring is a far cry from competitive. Im sure many kukki instructors here have kids who perform better than Silva in kukki.

And i never said that roundhouse was fast, only that Silvas was slower.

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The korean was the current WTF World champion when Paul Doumbia (ITF world champion) knocked him out in 5 seconds. How is their equipment of today relevant compared to then?

Then he is not the current world champion of today, is he? That's why the dated equipment prompted me to ask the question, your original statement was ambiguous.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Then he is not the current world champion of today, is he? That's why the dated equipment prompted me to ask the question, your original statement was ambiguous.

For further explanation (cause i feel demon will need it) competition standard and skill of fighters have both been increasing for a long time now, so a video from 10 years ago is hardly representative

Gnarlie

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Actually I was more on the point of the meaning of the word current, but yes, that is a point to consider too.

Demon should maybe have said the THEN WTF champion.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
For further explanation (cause i feel demon will need it) competition standard and skill of fighters have both been increasing for a long time now, so a video from 10 years ago is hardly representative

No evidence of that. If there is: show it.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score

Other than the myriad of videos of fighters like The lopez family, Terrence Jennings, Aaron Cook, and many more performing better technique and general skill wise than either of the two in your video?

The higher level of aggression, combos, etc.

Watching the 2014 WTF world Cup Team Finals(mexico vs russia) right now and all four are performing better, kicking faster and harder.

Bear with us, do you REALLY follow Kukki tkd?

By the amount you believe in ITF superiority i believe you at least have some expeeience there, but you really sound like youre arguing about something you dont even watch..

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Other than the myriad of videos of fighters like The lopez family, Terrence Jennings, Aaron Cook, and many more performing better technique and general skill wise than either of the two in your video?

The higher level of aggression, combos, etc.

Watching the 2014 WTF world Cup Team Finals(mexico vs russia) right now and all four are performing better, kicking faster and harder.

Bear with us, do you REALLY follow Kukki tkd?

By the amount you believe in ITF superiority i believe you at least have some expeeience there, but you really sound like youre arguing about something you dont even watch..

Why wouldn't I watch WTF just for the sake of it? ITF fighters are allowed to compete in the Olympiad nowdays.

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Anderson Silva is going to the try outs the same as other hopefuls. He has to be given credit for putting his money where his mouth is, he seems to realise too it will be quite a mountain for him.
Anderson Silva willing to get embarrassed for Olympic goal - MMA Fighting

Absolutely.

Hes not there yet, but he has time, and we've all seen cinderella stories in our lifetime.

He could 100% end up earning a spot when the time comes, he definitely has the discipline and work ethic to try.

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
"I stopped training taekwondo when I was 17 so it’s going to be tough, because taekwondo is very different today," Silva said"

Hmmmm....

Absolutely.

Hes not there yet, but he has time, and we've all seen cinderella stories in our lifetime.

He could 100% end up earning a spot when the time comes, he definitely has the discipline and work ethic to try.

This is coming from the guy claiming Andersson Silva is still an active TKD practioner (or that he was based on a few photos of him having fun in his spare time.) How come then that his performance is "cringe worthy?"

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
"I stopped training taekwondo when I was 17 so it’s going to be tough, because taekwondo is very different today," Silva said"

Hmmmm....

This is coming from the guy claiming Andersson Silva is still an active TKD practioner (or that he was based on a few photos of him having fun in his spare time.) How come then that his performance is "cringe worthy?"

Or based on the fact that there are videos from years back of hik specifically making time practice TKD........

Ive NEVER said hes active trained as in attended class.

But even in that article you so arrogantly tried to use, he said,

"I never stopped training and watching the sport. I always used taekwondo kicks in my mma fights, but now I must adapt and train taekwondo only."

It was LITERALLY the very next paragraph....

You really need to learn to read and research instead of cherry picking

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

All sports have advanced in the last few years, sports science has gone a long way to improving athletes conditioning, endurance and performance. There are now sports psychologists to get the best mentally out of athletes, sports dieticians to make sure they put only what works into their bodies. Coaching techniques are better than ever, do you mean to tell us that TKD Olympic squads are going to be so far behind every other sport? Looking at Team GB there's no sign that the TKD squad is training less than professionally, this is including honing their techniques and their fighting abilities.
I'm not a fan of Olympic TKD, it's not my 'thing' but you'd have to be blind not to see the skill they have and how it's getting better all the time. I admire their commitment and skill even if I don't enjoy the Olympic type sparring much. That's my personal opinion by the way of one small aspect of TKD not style bashing! I also enjoy flat racing better than jumps which is not bashing horse racing!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hmmmm....

'Anderson,' he's not Scandinavian. Read the whole article, he says he's never stopped training or watching TKD. What do you have against him anyway?

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
Or ba
sed on the fact that there are videos from years back of hik specifically making time practice TKD........

Ive NEVER said hes active trained as in attended class.

But even in that article you so arrogantly tried to use, he said,

"I never stopped training and watching the sport. I always used taekwondo kicks in my mma fights, but now I must adapt and train taekwondo only."

It was LITERALLY the very next paragraph....

Then he trained as an amateur. "I always used Taekwondo kicks". That's impressive! Given that he wasn't even a black belt yet got the belt with TKD kicks! It looked very much like flying knees, and kicks from Muay Thai. I love the TKD promoters taking credit for the front kick Andersson delivered a KO with. I mean it's not like Muay Thai has the front kick, or Karate. No, that was a Taekwondo kick!:D

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Then he trained as an amatuer. "I always used Taekwondo kicks". That's impressive! Given that he wasn't even a black belt yet got the belt with TKD kicks! It looked very much like flying knees, and kicks from Muay Thai. I love the TKD promoters taking credit for the front kick Andersson delivered a KO with. I mean it's not like Muay Thai has the front kick, or Karate. No, that was a Taekwondo kick!:D

It's ANDERSON, I don't think you know him personally so using his first name is a little cheeky.

Why are you so bitter towards him? What's he done to you? So what if he says his kick is TKD? One would think as a TKDist you would be pleased to have TKD credited with the kick...

Drose427

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Then he trained as an amatuer. "I always used Taekwondo kicks". That's impressive! Given that he wasn't even a black belt yet got the belt with TKD kicks! It looked very much like flying knees, and kicks from Muay Thai. I love the TKD promoters taking credit for the front kick Andersson delivered a KO with. I mean it's not like Muay Thai has the front kick, or Karate. No, that was a Taekwondo kick!:D

You realize he had his BB before his MMA career right? He was a second dan at 17, 5 years bud.

Yes those styles both use a front kick, but if you cant tell the painfully obvious differences in both the execution of techniques and striking points among those three styles, youve clearly never trained or are just blind

Not to mention all the Kukki style roundhouses he throws........ they are blatantly not a high kee chambered kick like many karate styles, or a signature Thai kick...

Frankly, Silva blends styles better than any Fighter in the UFC. When he uses a tech, anyome with experience can tell you exactly which style that specific tech is from.

If you cant tell the fundamental differences in different styles technique, that speaks to your experience as an Martial Artist..

Laplace_demon

Black Belt
Reaction score
I
So what if he says his kick is TKD? One would think as a TKDist you would be pleased to have TKD credited with the kick...

Kinda important if it's true. So no, what you implied makes no sense.

Latest Discussions