And why do we do this?

Wasabinyc

White Belt
Reaction score
I invite all the black belts to comment or questipn on anything that happens in their school for no apparent good reason. I think it's sometimes good to question or challenge the ritual things we do.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think sometimes we Westerners want to deify our teachers too much, particularly if they are Asian. I learned karate from an Asian as an adult, albeit young. I already had a lot of experience having attained a 2nd dan in TKD, but when I joined this particular school, I observed many of the seniors treating Sensei almost as if he was Buddha. You likely know what I am talking about: reverence bordering on the comical and a severe adversion to questioning Sensei on any topic at all, even karate! You just accepted what he said with a "Hai!" and said nothing else. The seniors would actually enforce this social system onto the newer students, and so on. Very cult-like in some respects.

I recall asking Sensei a minor question about technique once during class which he happily explained to me. Later, one of the black belts took me aside after practice and explained to me that just wasn't done. I asked why not and was told it was the custom. Well, I thought it was a silly custom.

The funny thing is Sensei didn't ask for that kind of treatment to begin with. It just gradually evolved until he felt trapped by it and he had no idea how to break out of the situation.

Luckily I stuck through with the situation, being a catalyst for change along the way. You wouldn't believe how happy Sensei was one night after class when I as a mere brown belt then asked him if he wanted to join me for a beer after practice. The social structure in his school is much more relaxed these days, and now that I teach, I make it a point to be accessible to my own students. Oddly enough, I noticed my own students wanting to deify myself and I put an end to that quickly enough.

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have also seen situations where the students will accept the GrandMasters (or Masters) word on any subject from philosophy to nuclear physics. I think that some people forget that a black belt means you are good at that martial art and not necessarily good at other subjects.

kerc

White Belt
Reaction score
Our Master kinda takes a funny, ironic view on that. For example, he tells the kids, with a straight face, that they can throw fireballs out of their hands if they concentrate hard enough, but of course, the kids know he's kidding. In fact, I find him to be a very humble person, down-to-Earth, and quite friendly.

In our dojang there's a nice amount of respect shown to the Master and to everybody else, including the parents, something very balanced and proper to the situation.

I couldn't possibly go to a place where the Master had delusions of grandeur.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I will say this as a Master and school owner. I enjoy question but in the time frame that is right. Sometimes the people forget that as the school owner and Master we may actually know something, when questioning things at the wrong time is just not acceptable.

I encourage all my students andparent to belief what they like about the Art and sport of TKD but remember when I talk about certain events Ihave been at and witness those are actual. TKD has a bad rap for not quite telling the all in all but also remember other Arts have the same problems.

I wish people would remember why they signed up and that is why they are here training. We as people must make decission witha gain of salt and must put some trust into there instructor like they do with a school teacher or your priest.

Latest Discussions