Why We Do It

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
It’s easy for those of us who practice Taekwondo to lose heart, given the state of the nation’s economy and all the politics and intrigues afflicting our martial art and sport. But every once in a while, we get a jolt that shakes us from our stupor and reminds us why we stick with Taekwondo and do what we do. Such a jolt came to me recently in the form of a gentleman in his mid-50s, who signed up at my dojang. He said he wanted to resume his Taekwondo life after a 12-year hiatus. He told me he had trained for nearly four years with a well respected local grandmaster, rising to 1st Gup, but quit before promoting to 1st Dan. He also said he had recently recovered from a minor injury on the big toe of his left foot.

I was stunned when the gentleman reported for his first class. He appeared not to have ever practiced Taekwondo. He couldn’t do basic blocks, punches, kicks, or stances. He showed up for class a second day, and displayed the same lack of basic Taekwondo knowledge during that one hour of training. This wasn’t ring rust. It was total memory loss. I was stumped and after class, I asked him if he had a hearing or vision problem. No, he said. Any major illness that might affect mental and muscle memory? No. A stroke perhaps? No. Anything I really should know? Nope.

Yesterday the gentleman came for his third session at 10:30 a.m. Being Good Friday, I wasn’t really expecting any one, so when the gentleman walked into the dojang for a class – which I’ve designated for seniors 60 and up – I was a little irritated. I got to work nevertheless, determined to earn an honest buck and stick to my personal motto of trying to learn something new every day. We warmed up and stretched for a good 15 minutes. We followed that with 45-minutes of work on basics, broken down to the nitty gritty: Punches and blocks in slow and fast motion, with explanation and demonstration of Newton’s Third Law of Motion – “For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.” We worked on basic stances, also in slow and regular motion, emphasizing foot and weight placement, spacing of feet, etc. We practiced two kicks – low front snap and low roundhouse. We practiced breathing and kiap. The gentleman had problems with timing the kiap. His kicks were off. His punches and blocks were out of sync with footwork. But we kept working and reworking.

At the end of class, after the bows, the gentleman said, “It’s all coming back, slowly.” He then pulled from his gym bag a framed 1st Gup certificate signed by a local 8th Dan GM that I know, a red/black belt and some certificates showing he was once an exemplary Taekwondo student. No more words were exchanged, but I realized something profound happened to this gentleman. Whatever it is, he doesn’t want to talk about it now and maybe never will. But he wants to get back to Taekwondo and I will do my best to help him achieve that goal.

Often that is really what’s its all about, when the jarring noise and loud shouting about Taekwondo and its politics dies down. Whatever badge we wear – WTF, Kukkiwon, ITF, ATA, USA Taekwondo, USTC, USTNT, etc., I think we can keep learning and help other people learn or relearn.

For all of you good MT folks, Happy Easter, Passover or whatever you are celebrating.

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
............ No more words were exchanged, but I realized something profound happened to this gentleman. Whatever it is, he doesn’t want to talk about it now and maybe never will. But he wants to get back to Taekwondo and I will do my best to help him achieve that goal.

Deep bow to you sir! And congratulations to your new student who has found someone to help him get back on the way.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
It’s easy for those of us who practice Taekwondo to lose heart, given the state of the nation’s economy and all the politics and intrigues afflicting our martial art and sport. But every once in a while, we get a jolt that shakes us from our stupor and reminds us why we stick with Taekwondo and do what we do. Such a jolt came to me recently in the form of a gentleman in his mid-50s, who signed up at my dojang. He said he wanted to resume his Taekwondo life after a 12-year hiatus. He told me he had trained for nearly four years with a well respected local grandmaster, rising to 1st Gup, but quit before promoting to 1st Dan. He also said he had recently recovered from a minor injury on the big toe of his left foot.

I was stunned when the gentleman reported for his first class. He appeared not to have ever practiced Taekwondo. He couldn’t do basic blocks, punches, kicks, or stances. He showed up for class a second day, and displayed the same lack of basic Taekwondo knowledge during that one hour of training. This wasn’t ring rust. It was total memory loss. I was stumped and after class, I asked him if he had a hearing or vision problem. No, he said. Any major illness that might affect mental and muscle memory? No. A stroke perhaps? No. Anything I really should know? Nope.

Yesterday the gentleman came for his third session at 10:30 a.m. Being Good Friday, I wasn’t really expecting any one, so when the gentleman walked into the dojang for a class – which I’ve designated for seniors 60 and up – I was a little irritated. I got to work nevertheless, determined to earn an honest buck and stick to my personal motto of trying to learn something new every day. We warmed up and stretched for a good 15 minutes. We followed that with 45-minutes of work on basics, broken down to the nitty gritty: Punches and blocks in slow and fast motion, with explanation and demonstration of Newton’s Third Law of Motion – “For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.” We worked on basic stances, also in slow and regular motion, emphasizing foot and weight placement, spacing of feet, etc. We practiced two kicks – low front snap and low roundhouse. We practiced breathing and kiap. The gentleman had problems with timing the kiap. His kicks were off. His punches and blocks were out of sync with footwork. But we kept working and reworking.

At the end of class, after the bows, the gentleman said, “It’s all coming back, slowly.” He then pulled from his gym bag a framed 1st Gup certificate signed by a local 8th Dan GM that I know, a red/black belt and some certificates showing he was once an exemplary Taekwondo student. No more words were exchanged, but I realized something profound happened to this gentleman. Whatever it is, he doesn’t want to talk about it now and maybe never will. But he wants to get back to Taekwondo and I will do my best to help him achieve that goal.

Often that is really what’s its all about, when the jarring noise and loud shouting about Taekwondo and its politics dies down. Whatever badge we wear – WTF, Kukkiwon, ITF, ATA, USA Taekwondo, USTC, USTNT, etc., I think we can keep learning and help other people learn or relearn.

For all of you good MT folks, Happy Easter, Passover or whatever you are celebrating.

It was very nice to read you, keep teaching this mature guy, it seems he wants so bad to recover what he lost in time at some point, this is TKD, hard work and give full suport to the students.

You toched me man!

Manny

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Very touching story, it is always better to help students regain the love for the art of TKD.

OP
A

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
An update. The gentleman who made me start this thread earned his yelloe belt three months ago. He's now preparing to test for his Orange Belt next week.

taekwondodo

Green Belt
Reaction score
The reason why I do it for FREE is when I see an improvement the students made through sweats and time is priceless. It made me keep on teaching when I see the priceless expression when they see their own accomplishment also the knowledge that I made a difference in a person's life.. It is priceless indeed.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, Archtkd. This student must be aware of what he has lost in his time away, so his indomitable spirit is all the more admirable.

Medically speaking, that could happen to any of us. Do you love TKD enough to start over if you had to?

I bet he won't stop at 1st gup this time.

Carl

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score
An update. The gentleman who made me start this thread earned his yelloe belt three months ago. He's now preparing to test for his Orange Belt next week.
Give him a big BOOYAH!! from me, would you?

Latest Discussions